DMN: Blog: Wade Phillips clears up any confusion

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Wade Phillips clears up any confusion

4:39 PM Wed, Oct 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis

Wade Phillips wanted to drive home the point that quarterback Tony Romo is not freelancing at the line of scrimmage. Apparently, some out there in Cowboy land have this misconception that Romo did just that against Washington, and thus the team ran the ball only 11 times.

"Now, let me clear this up," Phillips said, slightly raising his voice. "Romo doesn't do anything we don't want him to do. Any plays, and it's not necessarily 14 or 15 plays, it was certain plays in the game that we had an option of run or pass. When he comes up to the line, he does exactly what the coaches tell him to do. If he sees what we say is a run defense, then he's supposed to that.

"I just want to make it clear that he doesn't go up to the line and say, 'Well, it's run or pass. I think I'll pass it.' He doesn't do that. He does exactly what we tell him to do. It seems like it's going out like he's on his own and is going to call what he wants to call."

Personally, I didn't know this was an issue. As was pointed out in Tuesday's paper, the decision to run or pass is a numbers game. When Romo sees eight defenders near the line of scrimmage, the offense doesn't have enough blockers. So, he audibles into a pass out of a running play.

There isn't much for Romo to decide. If the numbers are in the offense's favor, the Cowboys can stay in a running play.

Reaction score
Cbz40;2302522 said:

Brian Davis

Wade Phillips wanted to drive home the point that quarterback Tony Romo is not freelancing at the line of scrimmage. Apparently, some out there in Cowboy land have this misconception that Romo did just that against Washington, and thus the team ran the ball only 11 times.

"Now, let me clear this up," Phillips said, slightly raising his voice. "Romo doesn't do anything we don't want him to do. Any plays, and it's not necessarily 14 or 15 plays, it was certain plays in the game that we had an option of run or pass. When he comes up to the line, he does exactly what the coaches tell him to do. If he sees what we say is a run defense, then he's supposed to that.

"I just want to make it clear that he doesn't go up to the line and say, 'Well, it's run or pass. I think I'll pass it.' He doesn't do that. He does exactly what we tell him to do. It seems like it's going out like he's on his own and is going to call what he wants to call."

Personally, I didn't know this was an issue. As was pointed out in Tuesday's paper, the decision to run or pass is a numbers game. When Romo sees eight defenders near the line of scrimmage, the offense doesn't have enough blockers. So, he audibles into a pass out of a running play.

There isn't much for Romo to decide. If the numbers are in the offense's favor, the Cowboys can stay in a running play.

Amazing, how little some fans and media about football.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If they're going to pass in those situations they need to mix it up a little. It looked like the Skins KNEW where the ball was going. Obviously they were jumping routes that the Cowboys run in certain situations. And Dallas did not fix that problem the entire game. That is on the coaches and squarely on Jason's shoulders.

In fact I'd say that had more to do with us losing than the defense did despite all the noise to the contrary or the stats.

Eskimo

Reaction score
My big issue, like Jobber has mentioned, is that if the defense knows what looks to give us to dictate whether we are going to run or pass and can then back out of it, there is a fundamental flaw in the offense.

No defense should definitely know whether you run or pass before the start of the play. It is playing with a huge disadvantage that will be hard for any offense to overcome.

Garrett has got to change the audibling system to account for this. Perhaps sometimes, we need to double cross the defense by pretending to audible or audible to a different kind of run.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
we know, we know..wade takes full responsiblity...blah blah blah...

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40;2302522 said:

Brian Davis

Whatever you say Wade.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2302534 said:
Amazing, how little some fans and media about football.

That's still pretty lame of the coaching staff to let the other team dictate what you can and cannot do with the football....Every heard of an audible? That is the cure for situations such as these. I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen one audible on offense yet this season. By audible, I mean completely changing the play and formation based on the defensive set.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that it has been pretty clear for some time that Phillips couldn't care less what info he gives the media.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;2302599 said:
I think that it has been pretty clear for some time that Phillips couldn't care less what info he gives the media.

I think we have to hear one of his disarming jokes 1st

then the message

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2302596 said:
That's still pretty lame of the coaching staff to let the other team dictate what you can and cannot do with the football....Every heard of an audible? That is the cure for situations such as these. I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen one audible on offense yet this season. By audible, I mean completely changing the play and formation based on the defensive set.

I don't think its just offense defense we sit in t he same crap zone no matter who we play against and play 12 yards off the ball no matter who we are up against.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This is SOP stuff. Every team does checks like this.

Now they've already said they wish they'd run more regardless, but if we'd repeatedly run into eight- and nine-man fronts, everyone would be saying how stupid that was.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2302663 said:

Now they've already said they wish they'd run more regardless, but if we'd repeatedly run into eight- and nine-man fronts, everyone would be saying how stupid that was.

IDK it's like they refused to run with Barber and they gave TO 2 runs.

SweetDC

Reaction score
Cbz40;2302522 said:
"Now, let me clear this up," Phillips said, slightly raising his voice. "Romo doesn't do anything we don't want him to do.
Yummy...Coach Wade is getting stern and thorough. He's not playing with you people anymore. I dare ya to call him Coach Cupcake now. He's gone from this:slob: to this:whip: So sexy. You tell 'em who is in charge, Wadey. :D

But seriously, I'm confused. So audibles are a bad thing? I can see if Romo was completely ignoring the coach's playcalling but isn't the quarterback suppose to read the defense and change the play if necessary? Like if he sees a blitz coming?

Aren't audibles used more in no-huddle situations? We don't do a lot of no-huddles do we?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I take it that Wade is lying to protect Romo's fragile ego?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2302663 said:

True but you can't completely abandon the run like we did Sunday and you can't let the defense always dictate what you do on offense. We're supposed to have too good and versatile of an offense to let a team like the Skins dictate every play we call. The Skin's defensive line is pedestrian and we respected them like they were the Steelers or Cowboys of the 70's.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2302596 said:

You haven't actually been paying any attention to anything Wade has said since sunday, have you?

Eskimo

Reaction score
My problem with the audible system as is that defenses know how to make us audible to pass based on the front they give Romo. So if they give Romo a "run defense front" they know the play will end up being a pass and then they can switch their positioning just before the snap to more of a pass defense alignment knowing they can ignore the run.

You cannot give the defense this sort of an advantage. The audibling system of this offense needs to change right now.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
My problem is they seem to know where we're going. You expect teams to know your tendencies but I'm confused as to how they can jump so many routes and even get an INT. Once they start jumping routes you should be able to take advantage of that. I didn't see that.

I refuse to believe our WRs can't get separation in press coverage or we can't make them pay for trying to jump routes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
:nono2:
Wade, I'd like you more if you said: "Romo is a young, talented QB. Things happen in a split second and sometimes Tony takes off. It happens. Next question."
No need to backtrack and make excuses and parse words. Freelancing or audibles, it's not like other QBs don't do it.
So cut the bs, Wade and don't make yourself look any more foolish.:stop: