DMN Blog: Wade Phillips plays defense on The Ticket

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade Phillips plays defense on The Ticket

11:24 AM Wed, Oct 15, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Wade Phillips made his weekly appearance on the Dunham and Miller Show this morning -- audio here -- and the wheels came off when he was asked whether his team had overachieved, underachieved or met his expectations.
Wade, who had just pointed out that only one team in the NFC has a better record, responded with a huffy laugh.

"Yeah, OK, let's go that direction," he snapped. "Yeah, well, for me, I thought we'd be 6-0. But we're not. We're 4-2 and we've got to go forward from there. Every game's tough, as the Giants found out. Every game in this league's tough.

"We lost two games -- one in overtime and one by two points. We felt like we should have won those games, and maybe if I did a better job coaching we would have."

The hosts were too nice to agree with that last statement. They asked a pretty gentle follow-up question, and Wade whined that he'd just say what they wanted him to say. Then he begged for some praise.

"We played well enough to win some games, too, and I don't think our team gets credit for that," he said. "But let's play that game. That's fine."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (8) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
On a different note (read "more interesting"), Wade said in the same interview that Roy Williams will be worked into the offense this week.

And of course the post left out the part where he said we have underachieved and we could play better and they're working hard on getting better.

ddh33

Reaction score
McMahon really hates Wade. I don't get it. Why so much venom geared to intentionally turn the base against the coach?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ddh33;2342532 said:
McMahon really hates Wade. I don't get it. Why so much venom geared to intentionally turn the base against the coach?

He is such a tool. He adds nothing. All he can do is ***** and stir the pot.

Maybe he's angling for a job at ESPN.

bootyhunta

Reaction score
ddh33;2342532 said:

I think he is jealous of Werder and Mosley and is desperately trying to get hired by ESPN as well.

Edit: Chocolate Lab beat me to the punch...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;2342508 said:
On a different note (read "more interesting"), Wade said in the same interview that Roy Williams will be worked into the offense this week.

And of course the post left out the part where he said we have underachieved and we could play better and they're working hard on getting better.

Thank you for that.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Who was it that said, "Sometimes you eat the bear and other times the bear eats you?"

I don't think the media understands this simple concept and how it pertains to football.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
has there been any news on watkins and The S.S. Roy Williams?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Williams is supposed to be back but I haven't really looked there. Does anyone know?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Wade's weak sister responses cause this, not McMahon.

His "13-3, heh, heh" responses last year when the team was falling apart just adds to the idea that he doesn't grasp that his team is playing far below it's capabilities.

Fans can get mad at the media, but the lack of leadership and oblivious attitude of the HC is where this starts.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Now if Wade could only get his team to play some defense than we'd be talking.

newlander

Reaction score
i'm with double trouble on this one. It all starts at the top. When he comes on a show and acts that way it does nothing but make things worse for himself. Wade: stop deflecting, being defensive and BE ACCOUNTABLE. My God, everyone wonders where the team gets it from.... he's beyond disappointing IMO>

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2342489 said:
"We lost two games -- one in overtime and one by two points. We felt like we should have won those games, and maybe if I did a better job coaching we would have."

Thank you, Wade. Now pass that down to your assistants, please.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
MONT17;2342736 said:
Wade is done

Wade knows that if this thing goes south he is gone and it looks like he is starting to crack under the pressure.

I think he is done.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Wade is far from done. He only takes blame but doesn't get credit. No one in any position on the cowboys staff would satisfy fans. Look at the pats, some fans already calling for his head. If it were up to the fans there would be 31 new coaches every year. Maybe 32 if the super bowl winning team doesn't go 19-0.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Walker;2343457 said:
Wade is far from done. He only takes blame but doesn't get credit. No one in any position on the cowboys staff would satisfy fans. Look at the pats, some fans already calling for his head. If it were up to the fans there would be 31 new coaches every year. Maybe 32 if the super bowl winning team doesn't go 19-0.

Wow, I need a linked to people calling for Belichick's head. That would be the ultimate.

Although, I can see some of the ladies around here calling for Garret's even if we lost Romo for the season.