DMN Blog: Who's the NFC East's best pass rusher?... Eagles DE Trent Cole

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who's the NFC East's best pass rusher?

I'm sure most of the folks who frequent this here blog will say it's DeMarcus Ware, who is awfully disruptive coming off the edge. And if I had to pick an NFC East sackmaster for my team, Ware would be the guy.

The biggest name among the division's pass rushers is Michael Strahan, who still has something left in the tank but isn't even the Giants' best DE. That's Osi Umenyiora, who got all sorts of pub by racking up a half-dozen sacks against the Eagles.

But none of those guys is the most productive pass rusher in the division. That honor goes to Philly DE Trent Cole, a fifth-round pick in 2005 who established himself as a force last season and leads the NFL in sacks with nine.

It's Flozell Adams' job to make sure Cole doesn't hit double digits this weekend. Combine Cole's burst with the loud Philly crowd, and you figure Flo's false start over-under ought to be two.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 1:20 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (10)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He's having a good season, no doubt about it, but it's still pretty early to say he's the best in the division. If he can keep up this production over a couple years, and not return to his single digit form, we'll see.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
theogt;1741918 said:
He's having a good season, no doubt about it, but it's still pretty early to say he's the best in the division. If he can keep up this production over a couple years, and not return to his single digit form, we'll see.

yea he's good, hard to say he's absolutely the best. i'd trade two false starts for a sack tho, sounds like a fair deal.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I can't say that I have seen Cole play this season. However, he's definately been on the upswing in each of his seasons. So I'm inclined to agree with this opinion, though for our defense Ware is the best choice.

Osi who has had Strahan on the opposite side. Also let's not forget that 6 or Osi's 8 sacks were against Philly in one game. Cole has had Kearse lined up on the other side when healthy. I don't know that anyone believes that Kearse is the same player in Philly that he was with Tenn. I'm not sure what Howard or Thomas has done when Kearse is out?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He's good and may be the best but leading in total number of sacks doesn't necessarily make you the best pass rusher. If a player has twice as many pressures but one less sack, I'd say he's better than the guy with 1 more total sack. Not to mention that a sack number by itself doesn't account for the difference in quality of OT's the different players have gone against. Cole has had a great season and certainly deserves to be highly rated but I wouldn't call him the best just yet.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I like Big Flo in this matchup. Yes, he may jump offsides a time or two but but rarely do you hear from his man during game time. Flo gets up for big tests like this. Its difficult to find a solid LT and I think Flo is so under appreciated. He does a damn good job. Fans only see his false starts but like I said, rarely do you hear his man making any noise...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I still think Ware is far more dangerous. Cole is a heckuva player, but he's also rushing the passer virtually every down whereas Ware has to drop back in coverage. And if you watch teams play against Ware and then against Cole, they really tend to make themselves more aware of Ware (no pun intended) than they are of Cole.

YAKUZA

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1741914 said:
Who's the NFC East's best pass rusher?

I'm sure most of the folks who frequent this here blog will say it's DeMarcus Ware, who is awfully disruptive coming off the edge. And if I had to pick an NFC East sackmaster for my team, Ware would be the guy.

The biggest name among the division's pass rushers is Michael Strahan, who still has something left in the tank but isn't even the Giants' best DE. That's Osi Umenyiora, who got all sorts of pub by racking up a half-dozen sacks against the Eagles.

But none of those guys is the most productive pass rusher in the division. That honor goes to Philly DE Trent Cole, a fifth-round pick in 2005 who established himself as a force last season and leads the NFL in sacks with nine.

It's Flozell Adams' job to make sure Cole doesn't hit double digits this weekend. Combine Cole's burst with the loud Philly crowd, and you figure Flo's false start over-under ought to be two.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 1:20 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (10)

Now I know that Timmy really is the idiot I thought he was...

Cole's stats are greatly inflated by racking up three and a half sacks against the Lions... the Lions currently lead the league in sacks allowed-- by a WIDE margin-- with 35 in 7 games... that would work out to 80 for a full 16 game season, which I believe would be an NFL record for sacks allowed...

So in the other 6 games, Cole has 5.5 sacks in 6 games... this is good, but hardly dominating... his career numbers, even with that career game against the Lions, are 22 sacks in 38 games played... this works out to an average of a little over 9 sacks per 16 games played... again, good, but hardly dominating... and Ware's 25 sacks in 39 games stacks up pretty well against Cole's numbers...

Trent Cole is a good pass rusher, but he is not the best pass rusher in the NFC East...

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I don't think that Flo has had a False Start in the past 2 games....at least I don't remember one.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jimz31;1742278 said:
I don't think that Flo has had a False Start in the past 2 games....at least I don't remember one.
This Flozell/false start meme has gotten pretty annoying. He averages about 4.5 false starts a season. That's not exactly great, but it's certainly not a problem.

Thanks, Madden.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He just said that Cole's the most productive pass rusher. That may or may not be true, but just in terms of his current number of sacks you can make a pretty good case for Trent Cole at this point. In any event, it's not the same thing as being the best pass rusher.

dooomsday

Reaction score
It doesnt say best LB/DE. Ware is a better player.

Cole gets the the QB as well as anyone. Fairly one dimensional. Great motor. Kampan aint no joke either.

We better watch out for him.