DMN Blog: WR Roy Williams needs training camp to really get comfortable

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:08 PM Wed, Oct 29, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

WR Roy Williams, who is still in the process of learning the Cowboys' playbook, doesn't expect to really be comfortable in this offense until next season.

"It's hard to just bring a player in during the middle of the season and fit him in," Williams said. "You see me on film and you see me in person, but you don't really know what I can do. You need a training camp."

Williams isn't saying that he can't help the Cowboys this season. He just expects his implementation into the offense to be a gradual process. He thinks it'll be tough for the coaches to know how best to use him to complement T.O. and vice versa until they have a full off-season working together.

It also doesn't help that Williams won't get to work with the starting quarterback until November.

Tony Romo, however, is much more optimistic about forming a rhythm with the Cowboys' newest big-name receiver.

"We'll be fine," Romo said last week. "If Roy has great instincts - and he does - then we'll be fine. Because we both see it the same way. If a guy understands, if a guy is here then you turn here a yard sooner and things of that nature, and I think Roy does have that. We'll be able to pick up pretty quickly."

Comments (4) Leave comment | E-mail entry

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
still banging my head against the wall at what we're missing out on until we get Romo back out there...

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
At least he is being honest!! Let's see how he feels after playing with Tony!!

mmohican29

Reaction score
Perhaps Roy should have told someone this before we traded for him? Geesh. All this talk about seeing what you can do... well what can't you do then before we ask you to do it Roy? Man o man.

alby

Reaction score
You don't even have to learn the playbook, when we need a few yards for a firstdown or touchdown, we'll just throw it up to you!

cowboys2233

Reaction score
mmohican29;2383376 said:
Perhaps Roy should have told someone this before we traded for him? Geesh. All this talk about seeing what you can do... well what can't you do then before we ask you to do it Roy? Man o man.

This just in, Roy Williams is soft as butta. I have no idea what Jerry was thinking.

quaigs

Reaction score
Misleading tittle. No where does Roy say HE needs training camp to get comfortable. All he said was that it will take the COACHES a training camp to really find out all his abilities and create plays geared towards him.

Thomas82

Reaction score
quaigs;2383461 said:
Misleading tittle. No where does Roy say HE needs training camp to get comfortable. All he said was that it will take the COACHES a training camp to really find out all his abilities and create plays geared towards him.

That's what I got out of reading this.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
quaigs;2383461 said:

MacMahon wrote this... be glad the title wasn't something like "Roy Williams not ready for the NFL!"

SMCowboy

Reaction score
mmohican29;2383376 said:

Everyone already knew that we would not be seeing the real Roy Williams until next year. One that is capable of taking over football games. Because it takes time to fully learn an entire offense as well as time for the coaches to get comfortable with what he does best. However, the question is if the Roy Williams that we get this year is still better than a Patrick Crayton as the #2 WR. And that answer is yes, if for no other reason than the pressure his presence alone takes off of TO and Witten.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Obviously it doesn't help that Romo is hurt.

I like Romo's comment, though.

Matt

Reaction score
We will hear this kind of talk from Roy until he retires. He is known for "saying it how it is" and he will and is doing that.

Also here is the start of the "should have waited for him to be cut and saved draft picks" bandwagon.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2383455 said:
This just in, Roy Williams is soft as butta. I have no idea what Jerry was thinking.

:laugh2:

I betcha Romo can't wait to get back under center to utilize Witten, T.O., Barber, Crayton and Roy E. Williams. :eek:hboy: