DMN: Colombo Deal guarantees $8 million

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
LINK

Colombo getting at least $8 million guaranteed

Marc Colombo's new contract will have $8 million in guaranteed money that could move up to $11 million depending on his health.

The final numbers are not in yet, but the multi-year agreement will essentially be a four-year deal worth $22 million.

The Cowboys reached the agreement with Colombo over the weekend.

=========================================================

Wow, $5.5M for a pretty good right tackle sounds like a deal to me!

ddh33

Reaction score
Eric Winston got a pretty big deal a couple of months ago, right? Someone else may remember and tell us how this one compares.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Do you remeber when we drafted those Tackles, all in the spirit of grooming them so that when Columbo's deal came up we could let him walk and re-build the RT position through that draft? Now don't get me wrong; I like Columbo and I'm glad Dallas has extended him, but this achievement also speaks to the failure of that backup plan to build depth through the draft. That's what makes this signing bitter-sweet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like a win-win to me, especially considering the team has nothing behind he and Flozell Adams.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2474247 said:
Do you remeber when we drafted those Tackles, all in the spirit of grooming them so that when Columbo's deal came up we could let him walk and re-build the RT position through that draft? Now don't get me wrong; I like Columbo and I'm glad Dallas has extended him, but this achievement also speaks to the failure of that backup plan to build depth through the draft. That's what makes this signing bitter-sweet.

Well, you can't get a pro bowler out of every pick you make. We've done pretty damn good in the draft of late and while we failed to replace him, we DO still have him. That is not a good thing, is a GREAT thing!

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
nyc;2474254 said:
Well, you can't get a pro bowler out of every pick you make. We've done pretty damn good in the draft of late and while we failed to replace him, we DO still have him. That is not a good thing, is a GREAT thing!

I do agree, but we'll need to look to free-agency next offseason to rebuild the backup/depth along the OL. Yes, we should still draft more OLinemen, but to get an immediate impact we'll have to go through free-agency. At least with the Columbo signing we've shored up the starterting RT spot, that is until Columbo breaks a pinky-finger or doslocats his pinky-toe. :laugh2:

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2474247 said:

Spot on. I can't believe how terrible we've been drafting offensive linemen.

Neither Free nor Marten appear to be worth a damn.

nyc;2474254 said:
Well, you can't get a pro bowler out of every pick you make.

That comment would make sense if Colombo was a Pro Bowler.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2474273 said:

Colombo deserved to go to the Pro Bowl in 06 and 07. He's having a down year...but he was the team's best lineman the two years prior to this one.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
nyc;2474234 said:
Wow, $5.5M for a pretty good right tackle sounds like a deal to me!

You are right. I am surprised. I thoght he would come much more expensive.

Great signing!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2474269 said:
I do agree, but we'll need to look to free-agency next offseason to rebuild the backup/depth along the OL. Yes, we should still draft more OLinemen, but to get an immediate impact we'll have to go through free-agency. At least with the Columbo signing we've shored up the starterting RT spot, that is until Columbo breaks a pinky-finger or doslocats his pinky-toe. :laugh2:

It's tough to sign a starting calibre offensive lineman in free agency without overpaying for him. You get players like Jason Fabini. There are enough offensive linemen starting in the league that probably shouldn't be to raise the price of a decent quality offensive lineman beyond what a backup should make.

Look at Jason Fabini! He was starting for the Commanders after leaving here. Do you remember how poorly he played here when he was in the game?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

If Colombo played any better than he did the last couple of year, he damn well could have been a Pro Bowler.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score

Marten is already gone.

McQrap can't play.

And Free-reign-to-the-QB apparently isn't any better.

Relax. The good news is, we don't have to see McQrap and Free on the field.

superpunk

Reaction score
Vintage;2474392 said:

Marten is already gone.

McQrap can't play.

And Free-reign-to-the-QB apparently isn't any better.

Relax. The good news is, we don't have to see McQrap and Free on the field.
You are the worst at making up nicknames.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
superpunk;2474396 said:
You are the worst at making up nicknames.

I'm drunk. I finished my first final at 10 am. Cut me some slack.

edit: I still <3 love you.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2474280 said:
Colombo deserved to go to the Pro Bowl in 06 and 07. He's having a down year...but he was the team's best lineman the two years prior to this one.

In 13 games this season, Colombo has allowed two sacks and committed five false starts, according to STATS LLC. Last season, he allowed four sacks and committed 10 false starts.

Looks like he's having a better season this year, based only on those numbers.

Smith22

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2474458 said:
In 13 games this season, Colombo has allowed two sacks and committed five false starts, according to STATS LLC. Last season, he allowed four sacks and committed 10 false starts.

Looks like he's having a better season this year, based only on those numbers.

I love his atttitude. He isn't the most athletic guy out there, but his strength makes up for it.