News: DMN: Cowboys coach's father suffered a terrible stroke, but he still fuels Jason Garrett's

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jim Garrett, housebound in the aftermath of a stroke, talks to his son Jason at least once a week. His umbilical cord -- he often relies on a landline -- extends from New Jersey to Dallas.

Jason Garrett, the Cowboys head coach who turned 50 this year, says a good part of the time they talk baseball, specifically his 86-year-old father's beloved New York Yankees.

The father played baseball as well as football in high school. Although he would make football his life's journey, he never drifted far from his other sport's passion. He says that's because baseball emphasizes "repetition of distinct fundamental techniques." That's an aspect of sports that would remain important no matter what path Jason and his three brothers chose in life, their father reminded.

What some might consider minutiae needs to be part of a routine, the father stressed to his sons. For example, Jim Garrett preached a batter must return his bat to the rack exactly the same way, "the proper way," every time. Doesn't matter if the batter hit a home run or struck out. Routine was important in developing discipline.

More on Jason Garrett

10 things you may not know about Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, including his time in the CFL

Continue reading...

Interesting stuff on Jason's background.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I can never read these articles due to "my complimentary access" being expired. :mad: Can anyone post the full article?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most sons who are close to their fathers are forced to see them physically fail in their twilight years and JG is no different. Garrett's dad was one whom he relied on for guidance and sharing his wisdom throughout their lives while together as well as apart. It's hard to see one so close to you gradually getting closer to the end -- I have learned as much by way of personal experience.

May they both be blessed upon experiencing their final years, months, weeks and days together. It's simply a part of life that calls upon us to face that era with courage and strength. With both being men of great character and strength, I'm quite certain they will enjoy one another throughout whatever time together that that they are fortunate enough to have remaining. No doubt, Jason appreciates having such a dad to guide him.

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
That story emphasizes why Garrett was never going to fail. All the slow starts in his head coaching career for the Dallas Cowboys.
The positive up bringing radiates from him. Everything I've ever read about Garrett has been as one article stated,"presidential".
Jerry Jones finally got it right.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
That story emphasizes why Garrett was never going to fail. All the slow starts in his head coaching career for the Dallas Cowboys.
The positive up bringing radiates from him. Everything I've ever read about Garrett has been as one article stated,"presidential".
Jerry Jones finally got it right.
Never going to fail? Lol ok. He was blessed to have Dak fall to us instead of who he wanted. He would've been fired if we flopped again this year.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Never going to fail? Lol ok. He was blessed to have Dak fall to us instead of who he wanted. He would've been fired if we flopped again this year.
I'm sorry your blind to see his skill set. So he was lucky to have Romo in 2014?
I'll answer for you ,yes he was . He has used his philosophy to built right and if you
been watching his players and coaches lay it out there for him. JJones was not nearly ready
to fire Garrett like you so hoped.

Proximo

Reaction score
Very good read. Some cool pictures from back in the day too.

Garret may have his detractors, and I'm sure some will never give him the credit he deserves, but I for one am glad he's our coach.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1482690055-NS_18COWBOY_SCOUTS_2_2769073.JPG

4/17/95--(l to r) Dallas Cowboys' scouts Jim Garrett, Tom Ciskowski, Larry Lacewell, Walter Juliff and Walt Yowarsky discuss the upcoming draft in the 'war room' at Valley Ranch Monday afternoon. Louis DeLuca/The Dallas Morning News. (Taken 4/17/95)

Productive meetings burning the midnight oil to give us this....

2(46) Sherman Williams RB Alabama
2(59) Kendell Watkins TE Mississippi St.
2(63) Shane Hannah G Michigan St.
3(92) Charlie Williams DB Bowling Green
4(110) Eric Bjornson TE Washington
4(129) Alundis Brice CB Mississippi
4(130) Linc Harden LB Oklahoma St.
5(166) Edward Hervey WR USC
5(168) Dana Howard LB Illinois
7(236) Oscar Sturgis DE North Carolina

Thanks, guys.