Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hot Seat

Barry Horn
Barry Horn writes about the sports media for The Dallas Morning News

09:11 PM CST on Friday, December 14, 2007

Joe Buck
Fox announcer

As Fox's No. 1 NFL and baseball voice, Joe Buck often has the best seat in the house. He has worked 10 World Series and Super Bowl XXXIX. In February, Buck will work his second Super Bowl with his partner of six years, Troy Aikman.

Sunday's Cowboys-Eagles game will be Buck's fifth Cowboys game of the season. Buck and Aikman will also work the Cowboys' regular-season finale at Washington, and you can be sure they will draw Cowboys duty throughout the NFC playoffs.

Ever feel you do too many Cowboys games?
No. I can't do too many. Keep lining 'em up. I love going to Dallas. Great team. Fun city. I was thinking the other day that this is like the Summerall-Madden years when Troy was playing for the Cowboys. It seemed like Summerall-Madden did all their games.

Seeing the Cowboys so often, do you ever think of them as your "home" team?
For a couple of years, we did a lot of Eagles games and I found myself looking at the games through the Eagles' perspective. Now sometimes I feel, "Gosh we've exhausted every Cowboys story line." It's a delicate balancing act.

Summerall finally broke down and moved to Dallas. Why not leave St. Louis for Dallas?
I know my wife would do it. And I think Troy could get me into a golf club. But ...

With all the time you've spent here, have you ever done a Rangers game for Fox?
Maybe I did years back when they were in the playoffs. I can't say I have, which is odd. To be fair, during the season, Tim McCarver and I usually go East. We leave the West to Thom Brennaman.

At the start of every broadcast, you're in the opening shot. About 15 seconds later, Aikman enters the picture. What's the idea behind that?
I know my daughters constantly make fun of me for saying, "I'm Joe Buck. Troy Aikman in just a second." But really, it's uncomfortable for someone to be standing there next to you when you're staring into the camera and not looking at them. I know Troy prefers we do it this way. He's not even standing next to me. When I'm done, we go to a generic shot of something to give him time to slide in next to me.

What is the one sporting event you've never worked, probably never will work, but would love to do?
Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I can't think of a better event to go to. The intensity of that game is unmatched. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate to television.

What bugs you most about working with Aikman?
His perfectionist qualities; his preparation. He makes me feel like a lesser man. Also, he's such a big guy, people think I'm 5-3. I'm 6-1. When they meet me, they always say that I'm much taller than they expected. When my ego gets fragile enough, I'm going to bring in an apple box to stand on.

LINK

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1833635 said:
Dang Aikman must be like 6-5???

He's a very big guy. I posted a picture of myself next to him in the photo thread in the Members Zone... I'm 6'2" 200 pounds and I look tiny next to him.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Aikman has the biggest mits I've ever seen, perfect for slapping Joe Buck around for being a joke.