News: DMN: NFL draft analyst's take on who Cowboys should draft if CB Jalen Ramsey and LB Myles Jack...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I do still want a DE, and two DT's...but a dominant CB/S helps a lot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://cowboyszone.com/threads/dmn-...ldon-rankins-is-a-force-in-the-middle.343230/

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: Rankins is a real impressive prospect who will be highly valued on draft day. As we said, he is at a really deep position, but not every defensive tackle has the ability to consistently make plays behind the line of scrimmage like he can. Those players are considered potential 3-techniques, which are rare in this particular draft. Rankins looks like he can fill that role, but has the utility to move up and down your line, which only enhances his potential upside.

You certainly can't quantify one other item I wanted to mention, but he is just a joy to watch play football. He seems to have a characteristic that his mates follow into battle and he can provide that leadership and swagger for the unit. It would certainly be overused to suggest Warren Sapp's name on this front, but he seems like that kind of player.

From a Dallas standpoint, there is no question that he is exactly what they have needed to shore up the middle of that line. In a draft with so many different defensive tackles, the styles should be examined. Would you want a 1-tech that could keep your linebackers clean and take on double team blocks while not budging an inch? Well, that may be more of a job for Alabama's Jarran Reed. But, if you want a 3-tech that might allow Tyrone Crawford to move down to the 1-tech or have interchangeable tackles that can switch even in pre-snap, then Rankins could be your guy.

Of course, the bigger question is whether either of them would be around at #34. They both seem to be of the 1st round quality, but perhaps having as many as 10 defensive tackles in the Top 50 could push some down the board. The odds are that unless the Cowboys would make a trade up, a guy like Rankins is probably gone in Round 1. There are not many with his skills in 2016.

For both Reed and Rankins, I would accept trading down and even mortgaging a single future pick.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
If Goff is there do we draft him?

Personally I'd like to drop a few places and pick Lynch, however if that's not possible then I'd pull the trigger on Goff.

You can get some good players in the 2nd-4th rounds at the position we're picking in and combine that with a few astute free agency acquisitions we could still make a run.

If that's not enough to get it done then I don't see any non QB pick at 4 making up the difference next year anyway and then we're another year closer to Romo calling it a day with no viable replacement learning on the roster.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Personally I'd like to drop a few places and pick Lynch, however if that's not possible then I'd pull the trigger on Goff.

You can get some good players in the 2nd-4th rounds at the position we're picking in and combine that with a few astute free agency acquisitions we could still make a run.

If that's not enough to get it done then I don't see any non QB pick at 4 making up the difference next year anyway and then we're another year closer to Romo calling it a day with no viable replacement learning on the roster.

All three will do well IMO altho odds actually against that. I'd consider dropping down for Lynch but that's a huge gamble.

If Wentz isn't, then yep.

We're dumb if we don't get an available first round-rated QB here.

Well I wax and wane on it but its almost a no brainer.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Goff is there do we draft him?

I would personally say yes. But im not the one getting paid to scout. Its harder for us fans to make that call on QBs because I think there is more to being a successful QB then what we see on the field.

Based on what I have seen and heard of him, I take Goff if I had the #1 pick

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Ignore the QB spot and you'll be picking in the top 5 for years to come to continue to pick the bling, bling, player. There is a Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey and Joey Bosa in every draft, but finding a legitimate 1st round QB will become harder and harder with most major College football programs running spread offenses.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ignore the QB spot and you'll be picking in the top 5 for years to come to continue to pick the bling, bling, player. There is a Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey and Joey Bosa in every draft, but finding a legitimate 1st round QB will become harder and harder with most major College football programs running spread offenses.

The team can be vastly improved with other positions. WR, RB, DE, DT, DT, CB, S, C

And one huge move in the future, can get the team as high as they deem they need.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I hate the thought of passing on a defender, when we've needed so much more talent on defense for years now, but there's hopefully not going to be a better chance to replace a QB soon, so we have to take it.

That's my take. I've looked at them all and the guy with the most potential IMO is Lynch. Not a hard look and youtube etc is hardly enough to even call an analysis by far. But the guy is a fast Roethlisberger with a bigger arm. He's just not as ready IMO. No way for most to know the cerebral makeup of them and that's more important. Any of those three is fine with me although I'm concerned a bit about the Wentz.

I thought this might finally be the year for a safety drafted high or a top DT. But it's a deep draft so you take the QB high and then choose wisely.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
That's my take. I've looked at them all and the guy with the most potential IMO is Lynch. Not a hard look and youtube etc is hardly enough to even call an analysis by far. But the guy is a fast Roethlisberger with a bigger arm. He's just not as ready IMO. No way for most to know the cerebral makeup of them and that's more important. Any of those three is fine with me although I'm concerned a bit about the Wentz.

I thought this might finally be the year for a safety drafted high or a top DT. But it's a deep draft so you take the QB high and then choose wisely.

This.

There is no Patrick Peterson nor Dummykins Suh in this draft. Take the QB and go find starters at DT (since it's a deep draft for DTs) and LB. They should focus on free agency for the safety and/or CB.

The only defensive players I would consider at # 4 are Bosa, Spence and Ramsey but I still think QB is the wiser pick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This.

There is no Patrick Peterson nor Dummykins Suh in this draft. Take the QB and go find starters at DT (since it's a deep draft for DTs) and LB. They should focus on free agency for the safety and/or CB.

The only defensive players I would consider at # 4 are Bosa, Spence and Ramsey but I still think QB is the wiser pick.

Wouldn't surprise me to see us move up into the first and take Spence or a falling player.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The nice thing is, we'll be able to get a DT in round two. But we've lost Hardy, too, and need to do more than tread water at DL. If we lose R. McClain, too, that's another hole in the front 7. We're going to have to supplement in FA.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The nice thing is, we'll be able to get a DT in round two. But we've lost Hardy, too, and need to do more than tread water at DL. If we lose R. McClain, too, that's another hole in the front 7. We're going to have to supplement in FA.

I'm hoping for a pass rusher or even two in FA. I'd actually like to keep Hardy but I'm counting him gone as of now. We need a 5/7 and I'd love an edge rusher to compete with Gregory. Someone like Ware or even Miller would be great. Then we can be more flexible. They should be looking at an athletic cover LBer and a cover Safety.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping for a pass rusher or even two in FA. I'd actually like to keep Hardy but I'm counting him gone as of now. We need a 5/7 and I'd love an edge rusher to compete with Gregory. Someone like Ware or even Miller would be great. Then we can be more flexible. They should be looking at an athletic cover LBer and a cover Safety.

Now we need an edge rusher to more than compete with Gregory. If he's already getting the 4 game suspension, he's completely and totally unreliable in anything other than a spot role. We're going to have to get a CB and a DE in VFA, which is going to be expensive, even if we bargain shop.

logan

Reaction score
Man, what a crappy year to have a top 5 pick. We get to pick a midget LB with a bad knee, Chris Long II, or the top rated CB who might not even play CB. Yeesh.