Do the Cowboys clinch the NFC East with a win Sunday?

Word Mofo

Reaction score
We know the Cowboys only need to win one divisional game to put the Giants out of reach since we hold the tiebreaker.

A win over the Commanders this Sunday puts them out of reach. They could at most be 3-3 in conference, and the Cowboys at worst 4-2.

The Eagles could at most be 3-3 in the NFC east, so again, a Cowboys win Sunday would put them out of reach.

Did I do the math right here? Could we have the NFC East wrapped up in mid-November? Unbelievable!

genghiskhan

Reaction score
Uh, no.

We'd be 9-1 with a win. There would be 6 games left. Even if the Giants lose next week and we win, if they won out after that it would give them 12 wins, and if we lost out we'd be 9-7.

So, no, not even close yet.

ZenItRam

Reaction score
Un-flipp'n-believable! I've been waiting for a team like this.

Boy, I'm really enjoying this year's Dallas Cowboys!

Word Mofo

Reaction score
Ok, I stand corrected. I guess it goes Overall -> Divisional -> Tiebreakers

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1762616 said:
Do the Cowboys clinch the NFC East with a win Sunday?

Nope. Not even close. If they beat the Skins, that puts them at 9-1. If they lose out they finish 9-7. The Giants and skins would still be able to finish with better records then that.

The Giants are three games behind us (2 really, but we have the tie breaker). If they keep winning and we keep winning, the soonest we'd be able to win the division is week 15 (I think).

thekavorka

Reaction score
yeah

It's not like in college where you can lose all of your out of conference games and still win the conference based on conference record.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
if we win Sunday, and keep on playing like we are, this is probably it for the division

that means if we lose, we still have a huge threshold to win the division

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Magic Number's 5 as we speak.

If we beat the Commanders and the Giants lose to the Lions, the magic number is 3.

IF the above happens, we'd be guaranteed the division with 3 more wins.

We've got the Jets, Packers, Eagles, Panthers, and Commanders after that. If we win 3/5 we've got the division guaranteed, no matter what the other teams do.

That, my friends, is controlling your own destiny!

hairic

Reaction score
If Dallas wins and the Giants lose this week.

Dallas would win the division if:

Dallas goes 3-0 (12-1 with 3 to go). Doesn't matter what the Giants do.
Dallas goes 2-1 (11-2 with 3 to go) and the Giants go 2-1 (8-5).
Dallas goes 1-2 (10-3 with 3 to go), the Giants go 1-2 (7-6), and the Commanders go 2-1 (7-6). A split with the Commanders after beating them this week, we'd have the better division record (they'd have 3 division losses and we'd have 4 division wins).

It's a 4 week thing at the earliest.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
hairic;1762697 said:
If Dallas wins and the Giants lose this week.

Dallas would win the division if:

Dallas goes 3-0 (12-1 with 3 to go). Doesn't matter what the Giants do.
Dallas goes 2-1 (11-2 with 3 to go) and the Giants go 2-1 (8-5).
Dallas goes 1-2 (10-3 with 3 to go), the Giants go 1-2 (7-6), and the Commanders go 2-1 (7-6). A split with the Commanders after beating them this week, we'd have the better division record (they'd have 3 division losses and we'd have 4 division wins).

It's a 4 week thing at the earliest.

Nice breakdown. Thanks.

Jay-D

Reaction score
Winning the division is merely a formality for this team at this point.

We are playing for home field advantage now, kiddies.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
To be in the driver's seat for Home field advantage we need to beat the Skins 1st....and then beat the packers. Please let's do our best to avoid the frozen tundra during the playoffs.. ;)

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Okay for us to clinch this is what we need.
Dallas: Needs to win this three game home stretch against Skins, Jets and Packers.
Giants: Have to lose two of there next three against Lions, Vikes and Bears. Skins: Have to lose to us one of ther next two against Bucs and Bills.
Eagles: The eagles will make it out of the Miami game with playoff dreams intact but they will be killed the next week against the Pats.

So basicly we could clinch in 3 weeks with alot of help.