Do y'all have a favorite Bitcoin exchange?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I've given up on Coinbase. I tried to register for it, but it says that email address is already registered. Did I register and then forget about it? Okay, I use the reset password thingie, but never get the email. No, it's not in the Spam folder.
I'm tired of messin' with this thing. Maybe I should just use someone else.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
If you're not actually spending the Bitcoins and just doing it for trading, just use a brokerage.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Not many options in the USA. I like Strike. You can use Robinhood, too, but don’t recommend.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have used Kraken. They have a limited coin set you can trade but for Bitcoin they are pretty good. I have never had a problem with any transactions including USD withdrawals. I used to love Bittrex but they shut down US operations.

I think the US government declared war on crypto a couple of years ago and they are quietly taking down all the US exchanges. Of course it is over taxes, but the end result is a disruption of the crypto markets here.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have to correct my earlier post. Bittrex is shutting down and declaring bankruptcy. I guess once they halted US operations they lost the majority of their business.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I have used Kraken. They have a limited coin set you can trade but for Bitcoin they are pretty good. I have never had a problem with any transactions including USD withdrawals. I used to love Bittrex but they shut down US operations.

I think the US government declared war on crypto a couple of years ago and they are quietly taking down all the US exchanges. Of course it is over taxes, but the end result is a disruption of the crypto markets here.
I've seen good reviews of Kraken. Yeah, I don't think the US government is too keen on crypto currencies, but they're just going to have to adapt. There are already a few things online that only accept crypto, and I expect that will grow. I'm sure some people have already set up schemes where they can have a bogus transaction with some shell company, which is really money they've hidden in crypto. Meanwhile, that's a tax write-off for money you've actually kept. Not that I recommend that. Our lovely IRS does not take kindly to people evading taxes. That's a good way to end up in the klink. But I'd bet it happens. I'd bet right now some dude is faking transactions that actually hide his money offshore in crypto so that his wife can't get it when they divorce.

Creeper

Reaction score
I've seen good reviews of Kraken. Yeah, I don't think the US government is too keen on crypto currencies, but they're just going to have to adapt. There are already a few things online that only accept crypto, and I expect that will grow. I'm sure some people have already set up schemes where they can have a bogus transaction with some shell company, which is really money they've hidden in crypto. Meanwhile, that's a tax write-off for money you've actually kept. Not that I recommend that. Our lovely IRS does not take kindly to people evading taxes. That's a good way to end up in the klink. But I'd bet it happens. I'd bet right now some dude is faking transactions that actually hide his money offshore in crypto so that his wife can't get it when they divorce.
The only way the US lets crypto survive is if they can make lots of tax revenue off of it. So far they have not been successful because the exchanges for the most part have not voluntarily cooperated with the IRS. This is the first year they are required to report any transactions of $600 or more, and we the taxpayers are required to pay taxes on any earnings from these reported transactions. I believe this new law was passed with the intent of putting another nail in the crypto coffin. With more and more exchanges shutting down, and the government suing the ones that remain, it is just a matter of time, IMO. The government has planned a slow shutdown to avoid the turmoil of a Bitcoin market crash. Of course, this could change if the IRS starts collecting big revenue from it. Then they will prop it up to increase tax revenue.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The only way the US lets crypto survive is if they can make lots of tax revenue off of it. So far they have not been successful because the exchanges for the most part have not voluntarily cooperated with the IRS. This is the first year they are required to report any transactions of $600 or more, and we the taxpayers are required to pay taxes on any earnings from these reported transactions. I believe this new law was passed with the intent of putting another nail in the crypto coffin. With more and more exchanges shutting down, and the government suing the ones that remain, it is just a matter of time, IMO. The government has planned a slow shutdown to avoid the turmoil of a Bitcoin market crash. Of course, this could change if the IRS starts collecting big revenue from it. Then they will prop it up to increase tax revenue.
Couldn't crypto simply continue in other countries against the wishes of the US government?

Creeper

Reaction score
Couldn't crypto simply continue in other countries against the wishes of the US government?
Sure, but China has already restricted it and if the US does as well that would be the two biggest markets. Bitcoin will probably continue to exist because it can't be completely removed given its architecture, but the US can make it very difficult for users to trade it or purchase it. It is already almost impossible to mine it. If you look at Bittrex, they just stopped allowing US citizens to use their platform. Without the US market, they folded.

There is nothing that can be done legally to stop people from holding or exchanging Bitcoin for goods or services, but they can do lots of things to make it difficult to transact. They can also put pressure on other governments to overregulate it too.

There is a big lawsuit going on now with Coinbase. The SEC charged them with operating an unregistered securities exchange. Coinbase is arguing that crypto is not the same as securities and, therefore, the SEC has no jurisdiction over the Coinbase operation. Coinbase has asked a judge to dismiss the case. We are waiting to hear the judge's ruling on that. If the judge agrees with Coinbase, it will limit the government's ability to regulate the crypto exchanges to some degree. But there is still the IRS and a few other agencies that could get involved. The fact is though, these exchanges and cryptocurrencies have been around for a while. Why is the SEC suing now? I believe it is because there is a quiet war on crypto and this is all just part of it. Cryptocurrencies make it very difficult for the IRS to tax income because they cannot trace wallet transactions without a warrant, but getting a warrant requires probably cause which is hard to establish if the identities of the parties or the nature of the transactions cannot be determined.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Sure, but China has already restricted it and if the US does as well that would be the two biggest markets. Bitcoin will probably continue to exist because it can't be completely removed given its architecture, but the US can make it very difficult for users to trade it or purchase it. It is already almost impossible to mine it. If you look at Bittrex, they just stopped allowing US citizens to use their platform. Without the US market, they folded.

There is nothing that can be done legally to stop people from holding or exchanging Bitcoin for goods or services, but they can do lots of things to make it difficult to transact. They can also put pressure on other governments to overregulate it too.

There is a big lawsuit going on now with Coinbase. The SEC charged them with operating an unregistered securities exchange. Coinbase is arguing that crypto is not the same as securities and, therefore, the SEC has no jurisdiction over the Coinbase operation. Coinbase has asked a judge to dismiss the case. We are waiting to hear the judge's ruling on that. If the judge agrees with Coinbase, it will limit the government's ability to regulate the crypto exchanges to some degree. But there is still the IRS and a few other agencies that could get involved. The fact is though, these exchanges and cryptocurrencies have been around for a while. Why is the SEC suing now? I believe it is because there is a quiet war on crypto and this is all just part of it. Cryptocurrencies make it very difficult for the IRS to tax income because they cannot trace wallet transactions without a warrant, but getting a warrant requires probably cause which is hard to establish if the identities of the parties or the nature of the transactions cannot be determined.
I'm rooting for crypto to succeed. I like that there are currencies not controlled by any particular government. You could keep a crypto nest egg to protect you in case hyper-inflation ever happened like it did in Germany after World War I. You could, of course, invest in foreign currencies like the Euro or the Yen, but the governments controlling those could decide to tax the crap out of accounts via some kind of "wealth tax". Maybe they rob a bunch of your Euros, Yen, British Pound or whatever right when you retire. The IRS doesn't like it because they can't get their dirty paws on the crypto transactions. My thought is, if you as a US citizen earn some money in a foreign country, that's out of the IRS jurisdiction and they therefore have no right to any of it via tax. However, the IRS doesn't see it that way. If you're an expat living in some other country, the IRS still expects you to pay US taxes. I'm against that. My belief is, if you're living and earning money in another country, and all your assets are outside the United States, the IRS should have no right to tax you, even if you're still a US citizen. But they do anyway.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've given up on Coinbase. I tried to register for it, but it says that email address is already registered. Did I register and then forget about it? Okay, I use the reset password thingie, but never get the email. No, it's not in the Spam folder.
I'm tired of messin' with this thing. Maybe I should just use someone else.
It’s a sign from God.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Avoiding paying taxes by deceit is a crime so good on IRS.

rags747

Reaction score
I was thinking FTX possibly, anyone have anything good to say about them? Thx…

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Until Bitcoin is ubiquitous for purchases, you’ll still need to convert it to fiat money somehow. That’s where they can stop it, if they want.