Do you guys like checkdowns?

Slashar00

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you like gaining five yards on 3rd and ten. Brad Johnson is the checkdown master!

I guarantee that in the next couple of weeks all the people here who are tired of Romo will remember why they fell in love with him in the first place. You don't know what you have until it's gone ...

With that said, I have confidence that Johnson will be serviceable.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I like wins. Whether you get it by check downs or long bombs, just bring home the W.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
give the guy a chance.

He threw it pretty well in the preseason.

Can we at least wait till he plays a little before the complaining starts.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Slashar00;2341235 said:
Raise your hand if you like gaining five yards on 3rd and ten. Brad Johnson is the checkdown master!

I guarantee that in the next couple of weeks all the people here who are tired of Romo will remember why they fell in love with him in the first place. You don't know what you have until it's gone ...

Like I said-when a starter goes down for ONLY 2-3 games, then assuming your backup is an experienced vet, you SHOULD be OK as he knows his role and knows how to blend in quickly.

OTOH-if Romo's injury was a season ender, then yes, our season would have been over.

BTW-I'm NOT one of the Romo bashers here.

nflandbooze

Reaction score
Walker;2341239 said:
I like wins. Whether you get it by check downs or long bombs, just bring home the W.

Same here.

I'm not looking to award style points with Brad out there.

Undisputed

Reaction score
With guys like Barber and possibly Felix catching them? I don't know if I mind at all. :cool:

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
theebs;2341244 said:
give the guy a chance.

THANK YOU

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
theebs;2341244 said:
give the guy a chance.

in pre season they dont blitz or scheme aggressively against QBs.........

im not saying he wont be serviceable ......but i dont expect greatness.....i just hope he can get us out of these 3 or 4 games 2-1 ....2-2

and ill give him a chance...I always support my Cowboys..............whoever is at the helm.........

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
In preseason Romo threw the ball 31 times for a 7.5 YPA average. Johnson threw the ball 40 times for a 7.8 average.

Believe it or not, Johnson can actually handle the offense pretty well. He's not going to make as many plays, no, but the coaching staff has faith in him as our backup for a reason. Don't lose faith in the guy until he gives you a reason to do so. Brad Johnson is a high percentage passer and he has the same career INT% as Peyton Manning. We'll be ok with him as the starter.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Slashar00;2341235 said:

i like good execution, no mistakes, ball control and Wins. Romo was a mixed bag in his last 10 starts.

Brad will be fine, worry more about the rest of the team and the over-rated OL.

Spectre

Reaction score
The Rams are the perfect game to get him back into football rhythm.
BJ is gonna surprise all the haters, IMO.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
If nothing is available downfield yeah. Plus, I don't mind gettng the ball into a guy like Barber's hands in space on a check down.

Look how effective Brady was with it last year.

If teams wanna focus on shutting down the deep stuff, hurt em all day underneath. Ill take the 5 yard gains, especially on 1st and 2nd down.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I think he we will be fine. He knows his role and is a leader. The team needs to rally around him and show some guts.

I'm expecting 3-0, I always have high hopes until they get smashed. But I never expect anything less than a W no matter who is playing qb.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I like check downs better than sacks. Gaining 5 yards on 3rd and 10 is better than taking a sack and/or turning the ball over. There are worse alternatives to having Brad Johnson being forced to see playing time due to an injury to Romo. Dallas could have Drew Bledsoe back there refusing to get rid of the ball.

Slashar00

Reaction score
Not converting 3rd downs will not produce wins. But like I said, I think Johnson will be okay for us.

Slashar00

Reaction score
Phantom;2341647 said:
He did win a Superbowl throwing checkdowns......

He was different back then. Maybe in recent years when he was a starter in Min he just didn't have any receivers open and had to check it down all the time.

Slashar00

Reaction score
theebs;2341244 said:
give the guy a chance.

I'm complaining about the Romo complainers. I said Brad Johnson will be okay for us, but he's a big drop off from Romo.