Do you still buy digital media such as movies, music, games, books, etc

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It seems like most streaming or rental services are offering low-priced streaming services with so much variety that almost negate needing to purchase digital media now. Just curious what services you use? The thing about digital purchases, is I know I have to stay with the same provider, and in the back of my head, there is always that fear that the service will go out of business, especially now with tech companies struggling. If a service goes out of business, did we forever waste our money on these hard digital copies?

Movies - I still purchase movies. Most of them offer a purchase before the rental if you're willing to pay more, and I've purchased several blockbuster movies I wanted to see instead of waiting for them to rent or stream. My worry is that I have all my movies on the Vudu service. They offer a lot of random deals I took advantage of. At one time this app was owned by Walmart and was rumored to be their Amazon Prime competitor. Then they sold it to Fandango, a company I'm not too sure about. I also notice that Vudu continues to drop in the rankings for downloaded movie apps. Wishing at this point I had stayed with Apple or Amazon for my purchased moves and TV shows.

Music - I don't buy music anymore. I just rent Apple Music and seems like everything is available. Pandora is not a bad option either in how it lets you make a channel for just about everything. I don't think I have purchased any songs in several years. Probably own a thousand Apple music downloads which I feel secure will last, but regretting spending this much on digital music with so many options now available.

Games - I used to purchase computer games and was once burned in the early days. If you remember the website Gamespy, they were one of the first to offer PC games digitally, until Steam took over. But now, I'm not even sure Steam is 100% guaranteed with so many companies forming their own service. Now I just get the newest Playstation and their best streaming package which offers hundreds of games, and they now make most strategy games for consoles too which is what I enjoy the most. The twitch games are a young man's hobby. Even the newest Madden and NBA2K are eventually included in their streaming service if you're willing to wait a few months after release, which I am.

Books - Still have my original Kindle account with plenty of book purchases. I have yet to find a rental service for digital books that gives me the same choices as a regular purchase. I feel safe with Amazon anything until someone dethrones them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still buy 4k/BluRay of films for my collection. But I find myself accessing it less than I used to because of streaming.

Same goes for music, use Apple and get all I need. Use Sirius/XM as well.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think media will be all straight to home streaming in the next 8-10 years. Movie theaters will only be a novelty.