Does Head Coach's Personality Permeate the Team's Identity

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I look back at the Landry years, and see the team's identity mirrored the head coach. Those teams were all business, taking the cue from Landry himself. I think of Bob Lilly rolling around on the ground when the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl. He never would have done that with Landry during the season. There have been things written about Landry that when he had a player come to see him, he would pull out his computer print-outs and show the player the statistical data on why doing whatever Landry said would work. The Flex Defense was difficult because players had to be disciplined in maintaining their lanes. That defense didn't catch on because of the ad-libbing players sometimes do. And with the Flex, if you were not where you were supposed to be, the defense failed to a degree.

Jimmy's teams worked hard, but played hard off the field. Some of the frivolity leaked out on the field with Irvin's first down antics and Kenny "The Shark," Gant's pre-kick behavior. Yet those teams were afraid of Jimmy because he had an unpredictability about him. Find the story where he refused to allow the players to eat on the pane back home after a loss. Doesn't seem at this point to be a big deal, but at the time, other than the top seven or eight premiere players, that surely caused some tension. Especially when Jimmy had the plane doors closed when Irvin was late. Or made Aikman ride with the journalists when he stayed in an interview too long and the bus was headed to the airport.

But Switzer's laissez faire attitude - eating a hotdog on the sidelines during the game, - caused the team to have less of an attitude to work hard. Aikman's comments lately indicate his frustrated he was because Switzer held no one accountable. Probably a perfect example of a leader trying to be friends with his players instead of the boss. Switzer was probably a great guy to have a beer with. But I don't see him as the man who lead Dallas to the '95 championship.

Garrett was all show and no go. His, "process," comments indicated all things were filtered through some arbitrary process he decided was important. If you've read anything about Jimmy's way of treating the players, you would have heard him say he did not treat them all the same. I used to get really irritated with Garrett and that false bravado when he's shove a player who just did something good on the field, like Garrett was a tough guy. I believe the team took that cue and was, as they say, all hat and no cattle.

McCarthy appears to me to be affable, which translates, in my mind, to be less one to be a stern head coach, and more a mix between a Garrett and Switzer, but with a better football mind. Yet the penalties speak to his leadership. I'm not certain a head coach can correct an ingrained behavior such as the penalties issues during the season. To me it would be training camp where butts are chewed and players are demoted to get the point across. I like Big Mike. But there is something of a buffoons' aspect to him.

Parcells had some of that Jimmy sternness. But it seems he surrounded himself with players who had already proven themselves to him. I think Parcells hauled butt because he realized the game had changed and his coaching style would not work for the players at the time he led Dallas.

Opinions?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yes.

Teams take on the mindsets of their leaders and leaders normally want to be around like minded people.

That's why you see coaches come in and change rosters up so much (not the Cowboys cause Jerry) but other teams. Take the Broncos getting rid of Russ for example.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Generally speaking yes.

Enough of these "player coaches"...need a Jimmy/Bill type to get their minds right.

Mark

Reaction score
I don't believe the team took on the personalities of Chan Gailey, Dave Campo or Wade Phillips.

JBS

Reaction score
I think so

Look at the eagles - they pretty much take up NS personality

Look at the Lions - same with DC

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I look back at the Landry years, and see the team's identity mirrored the head coach. Those teams were all business, taking the cue from Landry himself. I think of Bob Lilly rolling around on the ground when the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl. He never would have done that with Landry during the season. There have been things written about Landry that when he had a player come to see him, he would pull out his computer print-outs and show the player the statistical data on why doing whatever Landry said would work. The Flex Defense was difficult because players had to be disciplined in maintaining their lanes. That defense didn't catch on because of the ad-libbing players sometimes do. And with the Flex, if you were not where you were supposed to be, the defense failed to a degree.

Jimmy's teams worked hard, but played hard off the field. Some of the frivolity leaked out on the field with Irvin's first down antics and Kenny "The Shark," Gant's pre-kick behavior. Yet those teams were afraid of Jimmy because he had an unpredictability about him. Find the story where he refused to allow the players to eat on the pane back home after a loss. Doesn't seem at this point to be a big deal, but at the time, other than the top seven or eight premiere players, that surely caused some tension. Especially when Jimmy had the plane doors closed when Irvin was late. Or made Aikman ride with the journalists when he stayed in an interview too long and the bus was headed to the airport.

But Switzer's laissez faire attitude - eating a hotdog on the sidelines during the game, - caused the team to have less of an attitude to work hard. Aikman's comments lately indicate his frustrated he was because Switzer held no one accountable. Probably a perfect example of a leader trying to be friends with his players instead of the boss. Switzer was probably a great guy to have a beer with. But I don't see him as the man who lead Dallas to the '95 championship.

Garrett was all show and no go. His, "process," comments indicated all things were filtered through some arbitrary process he decided was important. If you've read anything about Jimmy's way of treating the players, you would have heard him say he did not treat them all the same. I used to get really irritated with Garrett and that false bravado when he's shove a player who just did something good on the field, like Garrett was a tough guy. I believe the team took that cue and was, as they say, all hat and no cattle.

McCarthy appears to me to be affable, which translates, in my mind, to be less one to be a stern head coach, and more a mix between a Garrett and Switzer, but with a better football mind. Yet the penalties speak to his leadership. I'm not certain a head coach can correct an ingrained behavior such as the penalties issues during the season. To me it would be training camp where butts are chewed and players are demoted to get the point across. I like Big Mike. But there is something of a buffoons' aspect to him.

Parcells had some of that Jimmy sternness. But it seems he surrounded himself with players who had already proven themselves to him. I think Parcells hauled butt because he realized the game had changed and his coaching style would not work for the players at the time he led Dallas.

Opinions?
Great analysis.
We have a severe penalty problem.
It's gotta get fixed before it cost us an important game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Opinions?
Don't forget the ever-lingering Jerry effect. Biggest owner and GM in pro sports. Something the other coaches don't have. It'll die down when Stephen takes over, but it's still the elephant in the room even as Jerry has improved his sync with the coaches.

Bright lights, big city, reality shows, merchandising contracts galore, overrated, the STAR, hand-picked coordinators and stars from the owner, big ratings, local press that rivals national press, and all that comes with it.

Almost like you have to pick a personality you list above to dilute some of this and that's where I think McCarthy works best. It takes over weaker coaches. But sometimes he does remind me more of Wade Phillips than anyone else. (That's not a compliment.) Since the franchise has become what it has in modern times, I think Parcells has done the best job hitting it head on. Never flinched in press conferences and always turned it around on the reporters, never let his players "eat the cheese" or "get the annointing oil" or all the overhype that the media wanted to put on them. Especially knew how to keep Romo in check who did not deal well at first with this responsibility.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't forget the ever-lingering Jerry effect. Biggest owner and GM in pro sports. Something the other coaches don't have. It'll die down when Stephen takes over, but it's still the elephant in the room even as Jerry has improved his sync with the coaches.

Bright lights, big city, reality shows, merchandising contracts galore, overrated, the STAR, hand-picked coordinators and stars from the owner, big ratings, local press that rivals national press, and all that comes with it.

Almost like you have to pick a personality you list above to dilute some of this and that's where I think McCarthy works best. It takes over weaker coaches. But sometimes he does remind me more of Wade Phillips than anyone else. (That's not a compliment.) Since the franchise has become what it has in modern times, I think Parcells has done the best job hitting it head on. Never flinched in press conferences and always turned it around on the reporters, never let his players "eat the cheese" or "get the annointing oil" or all the overhype that the media wanted to put on them. Especially knew how to keep Romo in check who did not deal well at first with this responsibility.
I think you hit on the real issue here. The coaches, by and large, are not picked for their ability to be the leading voice of the team, but one that will deflect to Jones and his ego.

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy is a pushover/passive to the degree Phillips and Garrett were. I also don't think he is a Belichick disciplinarian. He has his faults. He isn't in that Shanahan/Reid tier of HC's right now. Definitely top ten though.

If the Cowboys had McCarthy during the Garrett years, they get to a few NFC title games imo. Coaching wasted the talent on those teams.

Proximo

Reaction score
If true, it’s a reeeeaaal shame the eagles have to take on the personality of that absolute tool of a HC they have, lol.

Joking aside I think there’s some truth to the idea. It’s obviously not absolute, as there’s so many different people and personalities that make up a football team. But you can kind of apply the idea to the Cowboys over the years. Parcel led teams vs the Wade years, etc.

JayFord

Reaction score
Yes be it negative or positive all 32 teams take on the personality of their head coach

blueblood70

Reaction score

Opinions?
If you don't want to read all that just let me tell you this as long as the head coach is respected and most of the players especially the leaders like him and follow him that's all that matters everyone's got different personalities on how they handle their teams and I believe this team really likes Mike McCarthy....

First of all,

I just skimmed through all this but I think that you're way off base by saying that the penalties question his leadership then why is Pete Carroll still coaching seriously his team has been one of the most penalized teams in the NFL every year, as a matter of fact This is why it doesn't bother me so much Pete carrolls 2013 and 2014 Super Bowl years they led the league in penalties. So why is it that Pete Carroll still has a job I can tell you why because then leading the league and penalties didn't stop them from winning a Super Bowl and the next year also leading the league in penalties and getting back to the Super bowl and are one dumb play away from a second Super Bowl..

I hate to break it to you it's just part of the NFL now it's hard to control as a coach you can preach it all day long but these are professional players these are not high school players not even college where you can afford to make a an example of them and sit them down and replace them these dudes most of them who are making these mistakes are starters these are dudes with contracts and unions these are millionaire adults that don't take too well to use spitting in their face anymore this is the new NFL and I don't know of any of jimmy's or Landry 's players the good ones that actually were made an example of an absolutely cut off the team they made an example out of the low hanging fruit by the way..

Just like there's two kinds of parenting or if you go to the military there's a couple different ways that drill sergeants run their squads it can be done both ways the way Jimmy did it or the way McCarthy did it it's up to these professionals to show up and execute and stay on the right path this is not a parent child situation or you're molding young minds in high school or even college where you have a choice between 90 players where you have a lot of depth and you can make an example out of a player this is not that...

I bet if you go around the league you're going to find a lot of the best head coaches also led the league in penalties or were highly penalized by the way I believe it happened with Parcells I bet if you go back to those Dallas teams with Parcells here I remember them also being penalized a lot...

So if you're gonna bring that up why don't you go do your research show us all these head coaches that the Dallas Cowboys have ever had and show me where they landed in penalties keeping in mind that nowadays there's about 50 more rules and easier ways to get penalized and the referees have sucked balls for awhile....

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is much more difficult in this era of young adults(football players). Gone are the days of instilling discipline and holding themselves accountable. Many lack respect for authority and have a sense of entitlement. Social media has made it to where they post everything about their lives hourly. I’m sure it is hard to keep all the players minds on nothing but football and run a hard-nosed program. Sure, there are still some dedicated to their craft, players and coaches, but the outside distractions are enormous these days. Then, try to create a solid identity under Jerry……it is futile.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Opinions?
Made a post like this a while ago, when we had garrett we played like garret, we responded in games like garret, we were nice to opponents as garret is a nice guy!!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I believe that our "owner/coach/GM/PR Dept" stank permeates and overrules any coaches influence.
giphy.gif