Does this Reek of 2004?

Bizwah

Reaction score
I harken back to the year 2004.

We were fresh off a playoff birth. We seemed on the rise.

We expected to hit FA running, with both guns blazing.

Yet, we decided to let the market die down.

All the good players we wanted got snatched up.

Flash forward to 2005.

We had a good year last year. We are on the rise....A couple of injuries away from winning the East.

A couple of more impact guys may put us over the top.

All fans expect us to go into FA with both guns blazing.

Yet, we have a relatively quiet beginning. And, many of the players we wanted to see signed are plucked away.

Panicing yet?

You shouldn't be. There are many quality guys still remaining....guys that can impact our team.

So relax, watch Washington spend the big bucks. If we get to the draft without signing anyone else.....then we need to panic.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we signed someone on the 1st day...so no, it doesn't remind me of '04, and plenty of free agents to be had, in fact, most of the headliners are still unsigned

Rayman

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
we signed someone on the 1st day...so no, it doesn't remind me of '04, and plenty of free agents to be had, in fact, most of the headliners are still unsigned

Not to mention that there could be players that we've all but signed already.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rayman said:
Not to mention that there could be players that we've all but signed already.

exactly, I hate it when people act like we go one free agent at a time, when in fact, we're in the process of talking to many simultaneously, and most free agents want to examine their options, looking for the best fit for them, and the best money, that process takes a little bit of time for some, esp. the top-tier free agents, it's really not the teams controlling where free agents go...

Bizwah

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
exactly, I hate it when people act like we go one free agent at a time, when in fact, we're in the process of talking to many simultaneously, and most free agents want to examine their options, looking for the best fit for them, and the best money, that process takes a little bit of time for some, esp. the top-tier free agents, it's really not the teams controlling where free agents go...

ummmm....I was trying to be encouraging with my post.

Maybe you didn't read it carefully.

or..

Maybe I didn't word it well.

daab23

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Unless of course you become the highest player EVER at your position.

sneze*bentley*cough

:)

Bizwah

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:D it's late
It is....

I wish I could sleep.

But we're having a series of storms blow through our area. I won't be able to sleep until they're over.

Tornado Watch ends at 2:00.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It reminds me of every year, because the first day of free agency every year people completely lose their minds.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I harken back to the year 2004.

We were fresh off a playoff birth. We seemed on the rise.

We expected to hit FA running, with both guns blazing.

Yet, we decided to let the market die down.

All the good players we wanted got snatched up.

Flash forward to 2005.

We had a good year last year. We are on the rise....A couple of injuries away from winning the East.

A couple of more impact guys may put us over the top.

All fans expect us to go into FA with both guns blazing.

Yet, we have a relatively quiet beginning. And, many of the players we wanted to see signed are plucked away.

Panicing yet?

You shouldn't be. There are many quality guys still remaining....guys that can impact our team.

So relax, watch Washington spend the big bucks. If we get to the draft without signing anyone else.....then we need to panic.

No panick yet :)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
it's funny but even in my own mind I kind of gave this year's free agency only two options... to be like 2004 or to be like 2005.

2004 we almost stood pat and let all the good free agent's go.

2005 we came out guns blazing and spent a lot of $ on free agents.

I was thinking... will 2006 be like 2004 or 2005? The truth is, it probably will be somewhere in between. I don't know why I was thinking this year would either be a homerun or a strike out because in reality, we could hit a single, double, triple or grand slam. There are dozens of different degrees that we could take part in free agency... it doesn't have to be all (2005) or nothing (2004).

We, in all likelyhood, won't have quite the haul that we did in 2005... however, I'm sure we'll have a lot more success than we did in 2004.

Once I thought of it that way, I realized that I need to just wait and see and I'll probably be happy.

Hoffa

Benched
Reaction score
last year's quick trigger finger got us the abomination that is marco rivera..