Does Wade have any authority over Garrett?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
We're 3-1 in the 1/4 point, and I have no problem with the pace of a 12-4 season. But this team's ultimate barometer is the playoffs, and I want to see problems that crop up in the regular season straightened out and fixed by the time December roll around.

All head coaches allocate responsibilities, but at some point most head coaches have the right (and the responsibility) to walk over to their coordinators and proverbially slap them back to reality them when they've gone off the reservation and drifted away from the overall team game plan (and some head coaches will even take over the headset when that doesn't work).

It was 95 degrees on the field on the field yesterday. Players were cramping up left and right. It was one of those games where it was apparent that the defense that was out on the field the longest was going to be worn out by the fourth quarter. Yes, the defense didn't play well, but they certainly weren't helped any by an offense that threw the ball 83% of the offensive snaps and put very little (if any) emphasis on controlling the game clock at any point in the game. As a coach who is now working in his 4th decade of coaching defense in the NFL, this couldn't have been lost on Wade.

So why didn't Wade walk over to Garrett and tell him to pull his head out of his posterior? Does he not have the personality or does he not have the authority? This is a worry of mine, because I think Garrett has shown enough instances of this that he needs someone to monitor him.

Boysboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2295676 said:
All head coaches allocate responsibilities, but at some point most head coaches have the right to walk over to their coordinators and proverbially slap them back to reality them when they've gone off the reservation and drifted away from the overall team gameplan.

It was 95 degrees on the field on the field yesterday. Players were cramping up left and right. It was one of those games where it was apparent that the defense that was out on the field the longest was going to be worn out by the end of the game. Yes, the defense didn't play well, but they certainly weren't helped any by an offense that threw the ball 83% of the offensive snaps and put very little (if any) emphasis on controlling the game clock at any point in the game. As a coach who is now working in his 4th decade of coaching defense in the NFL, this couldn't have been lost on Wade.

So why didn't Wade walk over to Garrett and tell him to pull his head out of his posterior? Does he not have the personality or does he not have the authority? This is a worry of mine, because I think Garrett has shown enough instances of this that he needs someone to monitor him.

But you said having to feed TO and his fragile ego have weighed this team down.

Dude-make up your mind, which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Does Wade have any authority over Garrett?

Who cares? I'm more concerned about Wade using his authority over Brian Stewart then I am with him sticking his nose in the offense.

By the way, we didn't call that many passes by design. Romo checked out of a lot of runs yesterday based on how the defense lined up.

I would have like to see more runs as well, but one "so so" game from the offense isn't the problem here. Our front 7 getting dominated and our DBs playing 12 yards off the WR IS a problem, and Wade certainly does have some authority there.

TVMan

Reaction score
Wade looks clueless. I like the guy, but he just looks clueless. Especially on the 12 men on the field penalty. It's almost like the bus is driving itself.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You are supposed to trust your coaching staff. It's one game, one game doesn't define a coach unless it was a completely buffoon call that cost a major game. Say Mike Shanahan going for two instead of the tie but in the Superbowl and not making it. Of course, he wouldn't have done that in a Superbowl.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Boysboy;2295686 said:
But you said having to feed TO and his fragile ego have weighed this team down.

Dude-make up your mind, which is it? You can't have it both ways.

It did. There were several problems with the team, including forcing the ball to TO when he wasn't getting any seperation against Springs (which also lends itself to abandoning the run). There were other problems with the team as well.

When you have a normal sized human brain, you can fit several ideas in your head at once.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2295676 said:

Good questions.

The line of authority at Valley Ranch has seemingly always been unorthodox in the Jerry Jones Era.

With Garrett being hired before Wade and with everyone (including Wade) knowing that Garrett is waiting for the head coaching job, it certainly blurs things.

But I've got to think that Wade has the authority to walk over to Garrett and bring him back to reality. Not sure why that didn't happen. The dynamic between Wade and Garrett is probably a little odd.

superpunk

Reaction score
I asked the same question last night. When you're the head coach, your responsibility is to keep things under control. I'd give Wade an F for last night.

Things screwed up:

Not throwing a challenge flag on Suisham's "field goal".

Not recognizing that the refs were letting the defenders maul the receivers, and adjusting our corner depth immediately.

Not reeling in Red Jesus.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;2295777 said:
I asked the same question last night. When you're the head coach, your responsibility is to keep things under control. I'd give Wade an F for last night.

Things screwed up:

Not throwing a challenge flag on Suisham's "field goal".

Not recognizing that the refs were letting the defenders maul the receivers, and adjusting our corner depth immediately.

Not reeling in Red Jesus.

Someone mentioned that you can't challenge a FG if the bar goes above the highest point of the vertical bars.

Which if true, is pretty freakin' dumb.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
nyc;2295693 said:
You are supposed to trust your coaching staff. It's one game, one game doesn't define a coach unless it was a completely buffoon call that cost a major game.

How about three games?

Like say, the 2nd Philly loss when Garrett rushed the runningbacks 13 out of 55 total offensive snaps, even though our passing attack wasn't working worth a crap (Unlike the run, Garrett never losses patience with the pass when it isn't working).

Or the Giants playoff loss when Garrett completely forgot the running game existed in the 2nd half when the Giants pass rush was starting to take over the game.

And now this game.

That's 3 out of our last 8 games. Is that enough to start noticing a pattern that needs to be monitored?

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
I think its about time we add some technology to this game. Put a chip insode the football and make and put detectors on the goal line and in the goal post. I'm not saying do it all at once. Maybe try it out in a preseason game down the road. I hope they are atleast looking into it.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2295676 said:
We're 3-1 in the 1/4 point, and I have no problem with the pace of a 12-4 season. But this team's ultimate barometer is the playoffs, and I want to see problems that crop up in the regular season straightened out and fixed by the time December roll around.

All head coaches allocate responsibilities, but at some point most head coaches have the right (and the responsibility) to walk over to their coordinators and proverbially slap them back to reality them when they've gone off the reservation and drifted away from the overall team game plan (and some head coaches will even take over the headset when that doesn't work).

It was 95 degrees on the field on the field yesterday. Players were cramping up left and right. It was one of those games where it was apparent that the defense that was out on the field the longest was going to be worn out by the fourth quarter. Yes, the defense didn't play well, but they certainly weren't helped any by an offense that threw the ball 83% of the offensive snaps and put very little (if any) emphasis on controlling the game clock at any point in the game. As a coach who is now working in his 4th decade of coaching defense in the NFL, this couldn't have been lost on Wade.

Jason Garrett has the bigger paycheck.

superpunk

Reaction score
Rack;2295783 said:
Someone mentioned that you can't challenge a FG if the bar goes above the highest point of the vertical bars.

Which if true, is pretty freakin' dumb.
I didn't see that in the rule update. Did they provide a link?

I can see why they would say that, because unless the angle is perfect you really can't tell, but still...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;2295793 said:
I didn't see that in the rule update. Did they provide a link?

I can see why they would say that, because unless the angle is perfect you really can't tell, but still...

No they didn't provide a link but I'm 99% sure it was Adam that posted it and he's usually spot on with those kinds of things.

Either way, we got our butts kicked in that game and the score should have been much much worse than it was.

Dcz84

Reaction score
Wade did show some diguste with Jason, in the second qtr he walked by him and said somthin and Jason walked away. Then again during the 3 and out pass's to TO he did it again this time he threw down his paper he was holding and Jason again walked away. Just dont think Wade has enough balls to say somthin too him about it. Then again Wade's D stunk up the joint.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
UDcowboysfan;2295789 said:
I think its about time we add some technology to this game. Put a chip insode the football and make and put detectors on the goal line and in the goal post. I'm not saying do it all at once. Maybe try it out in a preseason game down the road. I hope they are atleast looking into it.

I am on the same page as you.

It IS coming.... sooner than later.

Ultimately, officials wil be gone or reduced in number. Baseball too.
I cant wait.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2296842 said:
I am on the same page as you.

It IS coming.... sooner than later.

Ultimately, officials wil be gone or reduced in number. Baseball too.
I cant wait.

yup to much human error.

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2296847 said:
yup to much human error.
Ya i love the human factor in the game.....but it seems like this year there has been way to many bad calls.