CFZ Don't trick yourself into thinking the Eagles success will motivate Jerry this offseason

Sydla

Reaction score
It won't. They didn't change much after 2017 and they definitely won't this year. They will likely handle this offseason like they have the half dozen or so previous ones.

In the real world, because GMs time is limited, they don't have the luxury of tricking themselves into believing that the team he built is really good, just let down by bad luck or circumstances. The GM for the Giants doesn't have the luxury of thinking his team is just as good as Philly and that it was just fate or whatever that gave the Eagles the nod over them. To keep his job, the Giants GM has to be honest with himself and admit where his team is at.

Jerry and Stephen don't operate in that world. There is no pressure from above. Their jobs aren't on the line. They can approach each and every offseason believing that their roster is loaded, that they are just as good as Philly or KC or the 49ers. And that's absolutely what they do. I have little doubt Jerry thinks this roster is stacked and just as good as any other team in the league. And they will continue to do what they always do, nickel and dime in FA and tell everyone they are such good drafters that they will fill the holes that way. It hasn't worked like ever in the Jerry as GM era but again, it doesn't matter. Because reality and results don't matter. Jerry's and Stephen's "feels" are all that matter. And their "feels" tell them that they have done a great job building the roster and just need to tinker here or there or with the coaching staff. There's no pressure, there's no one above them asking if they have this **** right. There's no one questioning their plan that holds their jobs in their hands.

It's not surprising with that kind of set up that this team has been arguably one of the worst postseason teams since Jerry took over the GM job full time. When there's no external pressure, no means to get you to focus and be honest with yourself, it's unlikely one can ever really succeed. And it's not changing anytime soon as Stephen appears to be even worse than Jerry.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What if Doug Pederson had won a Super Bowl here in Dallas and what if we drafted Wentz and he had his early success in Dallas..

Would the Cowboys ownership have moved on from them like Philadelphia did?

Garrett got a decade in Dallas.

The problem is the Jones’s believe in continuity but the problem is what they have isn’t championship quality and they keep getting that continuous result.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We all know what needs to change and what it will take until that change occurs. And, that still might not fix the front offices' ineptness. Because the next owner will probably not be any different.

Sydla

Reaction score
What if Doug Pederson had won a Super Bowl here in Dallas and what if we drafted Wentz and he had his early success in Dallas..

Would the Cowboys ownership have moved on from them like Philadelphia did?

Garrett got a decade in Dallas.

The problem is the Jones’s believe in continuity but the problem is what they have isn’t championship quality and they keep getting that continuous result.
At times you think it's loyalty as to why they stick with these guys so long but I also think the biggest factor here is ego. Jerry and Stephen have to be right. They've taken a ton of heat over the years and they just hunker down and keep doing what they do because they have to be right. They have to be able to tell everyone, see, we know what we are doing, you don't.

Remember Garrett was basically hand picked by Jerry. When he was a hot name early, Jerry made sure to pay him enough to keep him around and be the eventual head coach. Cutting Garrett early would have been a reflection on Jerry. It would have shown he made a mistake. Jerry can't have that. So Garrett rides out for a decade with Jerry hoping he wins so he can tell everyone how smart he was. It's why they likely will hold Elliott too long. They took a lot of heat for using the 4th pick on a TB and then handing him a massive contract. Cutting him now would be a sign they made a mistake.

I think they view a 2nd contract in Dallas vindication of their drafting skills. It's all about proving to the world how smart they are. I think at the end of the day, Jerry would rather be in the Hall of Fame as being viewed as a great GM than as a great owner. He's desperate to be known as a football guy. That came through loud and clear during that ESPN documentary on Jerry a few years ago.

Silly

Reaction score
I did notice how Suh ended the game with a big hit. Jerry doesn't want those kind of FA players in Dallas.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Jerry Jone - Ego. 100%.
This is HIS Ant Farm and no one is going to tell him what to do.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm dreading a full makeover and transformation of that Washington franchise once Snyder finds a buyer.

Can you imagine the backlash around here if the Commanders start winning meaningful football games?

Acceptablename

Reaction score
It won't. They didn't change much after 2017 and they definitely won't this year. They will likely handle this offseason like they have the half dozen or so previous ones.

In the real world, because GMs time is limited, they don't have the luxury of tricking themselves into believing that the team he built is really good, just let down by bad luck or circumstances. The GM for the Giants doesn't have the luxury of thinking his team is just as good as Philly and that it was just fate or whatever that gave the Eagles the nod over them. To keep his job, the Giants GM has to be honest with himself and admit where his team is at.

Jerry and Stephen don't operate in that world. There is no pressure from above. Their jobs aren't on the line. They can approach each and every offseason believing that their roster is loaded, that they are just as good as Philly or KC or the 49ers. And that's absolutely what they do. I have little doubt Jerry thinks this roster is stacked and just as good as any other team in the league. And they will continue to do what they always do, nickel and dime in FA and tell everyone they are such good drafters that they will fill the holes that way. It hasn't worked like ever in the Jerry as GM era but again, it doesn't matter. Because reality and results don't matter. Jerry's and Stephen's "feels" are all that matter. And their "feels" tell them that they have done a great job building the roster and just need to tinker here or there or with the coaching staff. There's no pressure, there's no one above them asking if they have this **** right. There's no one questioning their plan that holds their jobs in their hands.

It's not surprising with that kind of set up that this team has been arguably one of the worst postseason teams since Jerry took over the GM job full time. When there's no external pressure, no means to get you to focus and be honest with yourself, it's unlikely one can ever really succeed. And it's not changing anytime soon as Stephen appears to be even worse than Jerry.
I’m not sure what you call moderate is firing people in and hiring new people and it’s all people. Now will he do it the way you want him to do it no probably not

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Jerry had lots and lots of fun this year. Don't kid yourself. He enjoyed playing with his toy as much as ever. He will is not motivated to change anything.

Ken

Reaction score

I see why you say this and can't disagree too much.

He didn't change after 2017 because they were implementing their draft and develop plan. It is 5-6 years later...it is time to change something. I do actually believe that they will make a bigger effort to trade and FA sign this year. Likely not a huge swing but they may add a huge FA and make a smart trade.

Then bring back who they can and draft well.

That would be an excellent approach to this offseason.

fivetwos

Reaction score

As I recently said elsewhere, I don’t think it’s comfort as much as perpetual misevaluation.

If I bought a hospital and named myself head surgeon, it doesn’t mean I’m suddenly any good at it. I’m not qualified and never will be.

For some reason some folks think playing D1 OL 17 million years ago qualifies someone to be an NFL GM in 2023. Nah, not really.

The bottom line is that the two people running the entire organization would never for one second be considered by any other team for that position. When I think about it that way I’m actually surprised things aren’t worse.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
At times you think it's loyalty as to why they stick with these guys so long but I also think the biggest factor here is ego. Jerry and Stephen have to be right. They've taken a ton of heat over the years and they just hunker down and keep doing what they do because they have to be right. They have to be able to tell everyone, see, we know what we are doing, you don't.

Remember Garrett was basically hand picked by Jerry. When he was a hot name early, Jerry made sure to pay him enough to keep him around and be the eventual head coach. Cutting Garrett early would have been a reflection on Jerry. It would have shown he made a mistake. Jerry can't have that. So Garrett rides out for a decade with Jerry hoping he wins so he can tell everyone how smart he was. It's why they likely will hold Elliott too long. They took a lot of heat for using the 4th pick on a TB and then handing him a massive contract. Cutting him now would be a sign they made a mistake.

I think they view a 2nd contract in Dallas vindication of their drafting skills. It's all about proving to the world how smart they are. I think at the end of the day, Jerry would rather be in the Hall of Fame as being viewed as a great GM than as a great owner. He's desperate to be known as a football guy. That came through loud and clear during that ESPN documentary on Jerry a few years ago.

I’ll never forgive this organization for 10 years of Garrett and what frustrates me is Garrett offenses had good numbers and fans on here still defend coaches and player with numbers when they clearly aren’t very good even though the numbers have been inflated.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
I believe that deep down Jerry Jones does not really care about what happens on the football field. I know when the season ends he expresses disappointment. He gives that sad droopy eyed hang dog look. But if he really cared he would change things and bring in new management to revise the organization. A change in culture is so badly needed.

But Jones cannot do the changes. His narcissistic personality craves the attention that being in total and complete charge gives him. He loves the media interviews and radio shows. He cannot dream of having to share credit with a manager especially since he has failed at running the team for the past three decades. He loves having his kids all involved and employed by the team (save possibly one child). Obviously the Jones kids are not the best choices for the positions they occupy. The organization is broken. It is stuck with a ceiling of being good but not good enough.

IMO it is so very obvious that change is needed YET it is highly unlikely to happen. Sad, really sad.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I don’t even want to do what the Eagles did. All I want is one or two key free agents. What works for the Eagles may not work for everyone else. Just get one or two game changers.

RS12

Reaction score

Don't trick yourself into thinking the Eagles success will motivate Jerry this offseason​

None of the last 27 Lombardi winners have motivated Jerry to do anything other than make more money. Egirl win in 2017 certainly didnt move the needle, why would this?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I did notice how Suh ended the game with a big hit. Jerry doesn't want those kind of FA players in Dallas.
Suh has 1 sack (2 half sacks) and 4 tackles so far for the Eagles. Whilst I agree with your premise that Jerry does not necessarly go for players like Suh, most of these type players end up not have a whole lot of impact anyway and they end up being in the way of a younger player that could benefit from the paying and practice time. Of course, there are exceptions to this.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are probably right because what is not in danger is the unbalanced coverage and revenue the team generates. Couple that with the Joneses do not want or need to to win as much as the other 3 owners in the East. And that's before WAS gets a new owner.

The Cowboys will get some coverage because of the coaches openings but does anyone really think they will make a splash?

What does anyone here think would make Booger change the way he runs the team? The two things he cares about the most, money and celebrity, are not in jeopardy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the Eagles success will change the FO and their philosophy. But something changed. So no one is tricking themselves, or hope not.
They been letting coaches go and / or not renewing contracts. Moore is gone. So something changed.

His Garrett 2.0 HC in training is gone. Many coaches on the offensive side are gone.

Let's see what any of these changes bring, and what else they may do.

Sydla

Reaction score
Suh has 1 sack (2 half sacks) and 4 tackles so far for the Eagles. Whilst I agree with your premise that Jerry does not necessarly go for players like Suh, most of these type players end up not have a whole lot of impact anyway and they end up being in the way of a younger player that could benefit from the paying and practice time. Of course, there are exceptions to this.
People need to stop with this whole notion of progress stopper. Suh didn't slow the progress of anyone on that team. He filled a clear need and has played well for them given what they ask of him.

People trot out progress stopper to make themselves feel better about the fact that we sit on our ***** every offseason and don't try to actually improve in FA. They convince themselves doing just that is bad because it would stop the progress of our 5th round rookie. It's preposterous.