Doug Free

slotshot

Reaction score
Anyone know how this guys is doing? Going into a draft where we expect the Cowboys FO will be looking intently at OL help, it would be nice to know if this guys has caught on to his role as our "LT of the Future". If not, we could be in deep water.

Of course the OT depth in this draft looks pretty darn good.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
We have to remember that Free is from a small school and showed the qualities to be a good LT. But, he has had two different Oline coaches the first two years he has been in the league. I remember him handling Ware at training camp a couple times and he was making it look easy. He just needs some seasoning and hopefully some playing time before we reach conclusions on him, hell, we could probably get away with drafting another OT this draft.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
slotshot;2524632 said:
Anyone know how this guys is doing? Going into a draft where we expect the Cowboys FO will be looking intently at OL help, it would be nice to know if this guys has caught on to his role as our "LT of the Future". If not, we could be in deep water.

Of course the OT depth in this draft looks pretty darn good.

You won't have a good handle on how this guy is doing until next training camp.

With Adams signed for several more years and the recent Colombo extension. The need for a replacement LT for the future isn't critical.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd consider him a bubble player who could very likely be replaced. Considering that the team has such little faith in him that he was hardly active much less contributing anything, I think there's a 50-50 chance of him being back next year.

If it were my choice, I would look to the draft to strengthen both lines.

I think this team has plenty of 'skill position' players and needs to get stronger in the trenches.

slotshot

Reaction score
stasheroo;2524778 said:
I'd consider him a bubble player who could very likely be replaced. Considering that the team has such little faith in him that he was hardly active much less contributing anything, I think there's a 50-50 chance of him being back next year.

If it were my choice, I would look to the draft to strengthen both lines.

I think this team has plenty of 'skill position' players and needs to get stronger in the trenches.

agreed

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He could be all Pro Caliber and we would never know.

Our coaches don't like putting youth on the field.

From the little i've seen of Doug Free... He struggles a little at run blocking. He isnt a mauler. But for a guy his size he has terrific Feet and Balance.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
But we knew when we drafted him that he was a very tall, athletic guy who needed a couple of years to add weight and strength. So we couldn't have expected too much of him before about now.

I suspect he'd do fine if he had to play some. Obviously you hope that doesn't happen in the playoffs.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Has not seemed to develope much at al> mcQ has seemed to regress. Frankly I am not impressed with Houck so far.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
burmafrd;2525164 said:
Has not seemed to develope much at al> mcQ has seemed to regress. Frankly I am not impressed with Houck so far.

I'm impressed at how bad we are at recognition. I can't know the calls but I can tell they are not blocking people far to often. To me that's a coaching problem.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd imagine he'll either have to show significant progress, and ability, this training camp or he could wind up being replaced.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We can't draft O linemen for crap. That's been discussed many times on here. Why? Poor scouting and the fact that we NEVER take an offensive lineman in the first round. We need to draft a tackle and a guard this year, especially considering that none of our backups seem to be able to play. If they could, wouldn't they be on the field rather than Proctor? We also need to draft a safety (or two), an inside linebacker, and a QB. We don't need WRs, RBs, TEs, or CBs. We might need a DL or two if we don't resign Canty or Tank. Is Spear's contract up at the end of the season?