Draft Clay Mathews Jr. - not a Safety

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop the Safety talk with the first pick. Look in your own division for the proof. Philly is a QB pressure team and look what it does to us every year. The Giants stockpile rushers and pressure players and their secondary is unimpressive and they beat us out too. Teams like Dallas and Wash love to throw $$ at the back 4 but look where they sit. Henry, Newman and Hamlin -high priced. Springs, Hall, Landry, Rogers, Smoot- high priced. Clay is the pick in my mind and I think it's the right target.

Reaction score
btgboys41;2654532 said:
Stop the Safety talk with the first pick. Look in your own division for the proof. Philly is a QB pressure team and look what it does to us every year. The Giants stockpile rushers and pressure players and their secondary is unimpressive and they beat us out too. Teams like Dallas and Wash love to throw $$ at the back 4 but look where they sit. Henry, Newman and Hamlin -high priced. Springs, Hall, Landry, Rogers, Smoot- high priced. Clay is the pick in my mind and I think it's the right target.

We already have a Barbie on our team. We don't need another one.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I like Clay, a lot, (not as much as Rey of course) but I don't see us drafting him.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2654541 said:
We already have a Barbie on our team. We don't need another one.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not impressed at all with him. His father was one of my favorite NFL players ever. I just don't think the kid will be around long in this league.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Did you notice that we were a QB pressure team, too?

Not that I'm against Matthews, because I like him. Just saying that QB pressure is about the least of our problems.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sacks aren't the indicator of a pressure team. Causing mistakes are. Fumbles, ints, false starts (or as we like to call them, flozells). Just becasue we drafted a stiff, white, long haired linebacker in Bobby doll doesn;t mean this guy is the same. Either way, dumping more $$ into a safety is nauseating.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Fumbles are more an indicator of a pressure team than sacks are? Okay.

But last I checked, we had more than one draft pick.

And low second rounders don't make much money cap-wise anyway.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
There are at least 4 Safeties I would take over Clay Matthews Jr. and I am a confessed Pac-10 homer.

marchetta

Reaction score
A prominent profiler says that Clay is going to be a great LB. He's versatile enough to play in any scheme, and he has really good pass rush techniques. He states that Clay is a 1st rd talent that would excel in a Patriot's type D. Also, Clay would impact immediately because of his ability to rush the passer from a variety of positions, and that Clay would have to be accounted for anytime he's on the field during a passing situation.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He may be able to play in the 4-3 as a Will but I think he's too slow for that. He'll need to bulk up some and try to play Mike.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since there are no elite safeties, why the heck would we draft one with our first pick instead of waiting to get any one of that group of 4-5 safeties with 2nd-3rd round talent?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
btgboys41;2655136 said:
Since there are no elite safeties, why the heck would we draft one with our first pick instead of waiting to get any one of that group of 4-5 safeties with 2nd-3rd round talent?

We have no first round this year. Our 2nd rd pick is the first one.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile;2654831 said:
There are at least 4 Safeties I would take over Clay Matthews Jr. and I am a confessed Pac-10 homer.

I would take at least 5 or 6.

Clay is a good story as a walk on guy following his Dad's footsteps at USC but he is not a great natural athlete. He'll go higher than he should base don his last name. Perhaps to Cleveland in r2.

I'd much rather have Connar Barwin. Just a better natural athlete.

I will say Clay is not as soft as Barbie Carpenter.

You don't walk on and eventually earn a starting gig by being a creampuff.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
marchetta;2654857 said:
A prominent profiler says that Clay is going to be a great LB. He's versatile enough to play in any scheme, and he has really good pass rush techniques. He states that Clay is a 1st rd talent that would excel in a Patriot's type D. Also, Clay would impact immediately because of his ability to rush the passer from a variety of positions, and that Clay would have to be accounted for anytime he's on the field during a passing situation.

what profiler???

I call that a huge stretch.
He is 6'3", 240 with great effort but only 4.5 career sacks. He only started 10 games though being at USC that quells that somewhat.

He got some praise at the Senior Bowl (mainly imho because he was thought of as a r5 type guy) but lacks both ideal measurables and the collegiate production you'd expect to see in round 1.

He isn't really a fit as a 3-4 OLB because of his size and 4.67 is more than adequate for inside guys but probably not Will backers. 240 is a tad light for inside backers

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ya your right..we arn't a QB pressure team at all..we led the league in sacks last year..that means nothing though.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many turnovers did we force? Will one of the 4-5 safeties with 2nd round grades fix that? Please don't equate pressure defense with just sacks. We had more sacks than Giants, Philly, Pitt (I think) and Baltimore. Do you think we are a pressure defense compared to those teams? Look, I just know we are soon going to be griping about Greg Ellis whether he stays or goes, allowing Burnett to leave, not replacing Zach, and No backup for Spencer if he goes down or gets drunk again. We need an elite player at LB. If you don't like Matthews, cool- I respect that. I like him but it's all opinion.