Draft for 2006

VACowboy

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
We do DB in the first again I'm really going to question the pick.

I think we need OL and LB too much for that to happen.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
VACowboy said:
I think we need OL and LB too much for that to happen.

Hard to say what we're going to do until FA is over but I still maintain BPA in the first round (except for perhaps DE and RB this year), really depnds on what is sitting there..

VACowboy

Reaction score
Sarge said:
Hard to say what we're going to do until FA is over but I still maintain BPA in the first round (except for perhaps DE and RB this year), really depnds on what is sitting there..

So true.

I wouldn't be upset at all with Landry or Huff in the 18 spot, but I think Parcells will go for upgrading the fronts first.

lspain1

Reaction score
1. Vince Young hasn't declared yet.
2. Are the Jets going to need a QB and an RB?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge said:
:hammer:

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Bookend OLB to go along with Ware: If we go Best Player Available...

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time:

Strengths:An amazing athlete with rare ability...Has outstanding speed and quickness with a great burst...Extremely explosive...Tremendous pass rusher off the edge...Good agility and can drop into coverage...Smart player with good instincts...Good tackler...Makes plays in space...Productive and can be very disruptive...Vertical jump is higher than the device used to measure that stat...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Vastly undersized...A DE / OLB 'tweener who may not have a clear position at the pro level...Struggles to defend the run...Needs to get stronger...Gets engulfed by massive offensive tackles...Doesn't always play with good leverage...Needs to use his hands better...Is he just a workout warrior?...Relies on speed heavily...Won't be a fit for every team and will need to be in the right system to succeed.

Notes:
Competed as a hurdler, long jumper, triple jumper and relay runner for the Wolfpack track team...The prevalence of the 3-4 defense in the NFL will likely help Lawson's case as he would seem to be a prototypical OLB is that scheme.

Draft Exchange Analysis:
While he may be overshadowed by fellow standout DE Mario Williams, Manny Lawson is something special in his own right. He is incredibly fast (runs a 4.4) and has great size at 6’5” 245 lbs. While Many think that Mario is a better sack artist, Lawson actually lead the team in 2004 with 7 sacks. He has had an equally productive senior season amassing 70 tackles (20 for a loss), with 10 sacks, 21 QB pressures, 1 FF, and a Punt Block. While this may seem too good to be true, Lawson does have his flaws like everyone else. He falls into the Tweener category and would be well suited as a 3-4 OLB. He also could stand to add some weight to his lanky frame and needs to get better against the run. If he can accomplish those things, look for Lawson to be a best in the pros like his Mario.

Pros: ATHLETIC, has seen time at both DE and OLB, amazing speed, reportedly runs a sub 4.5, very quick off the ball, great pass rusher, sack artist, good size, long reach.
Cons: Tweener, might be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB, could add some weight, not very strong, needs to get better against the run, overshadowed by Mario Williams.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
1. Vince Young hasn't declared yet.
2. Are the Jets going to need a QB and an RB?
Yep. Pennington and Martin are liabilities as much as assets.

SmashFactorGolf

Reaction score
If they are going so far as to think about getting Darren Woodson back for the playoff's, that should be a huge message to Davis, and Pile etall that they probably
should hold out for a bigger contracts.....:D

gonna be a change, hopefully via FA for a smart on the feild player----ala the FS from Green Bay we shoulda/coulda go last yr----Woulda won the 1st Skins game with him added alone...........

lspain1

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yep. Pennington and Martin are liabilities as much as assets.

I really wasn't trying to dump on either guy with my question. Pennington has been hurt a lot. Isn't Martin an FA this year?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I really wasn't trying to dump on either guy with my question. Pennington has been hurt a lot. Isn't Martin an FA this year?
I didn't think you were dumping on anyone. They are liabilities at this point.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I like Lawson a lot, too.
He's not getting a lot of love, but during the combine I think his name will surface. He will also play in the SR. Bowl. If we go with the BPA approach, its hard to look past him. Played his first 3 seasons at NC State at LB and moved to DE this year. Having he and Ware for the next 10 seasons at OLB would be nice...

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Lawson reminds me a whole lot of John Abraham. Eerily similar there.

The best thing about the draft is that Leinert goes to the Saints. Cracks me up he gave up a few million and could have played in sunny California now he gets to go have fun in New Orleans for the next 7-8 years. Have fun *******.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Lawson reminds me a whole lot of John Abraham. Eerily similar there.

The best thing about the draft is that Leinert goes to the Saints. Cracks me up he gave up a few million and could have played in sunny California now he gets to go have fun in New Orleans for the next 7-8 years. Have fun *******.
:lmao2: @Leinart. I personally think he's gonna be a bust in the pros because first of all he doesn't appear to have the strongest arm and also he played around a lot of talent there at USC. Not many QB's should fail with all the talent there. Palmer was a much better prospect coming out of USC

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
WOW, you have the Lions taking a defensive end??? you mean there aren't any WRs at their pick??? LMAO

Give me another big body... Ngata, Brooks, ANY O-Lineman (with athleticism to boot), but I do like Huff and Landry, but not at the first pick no!

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
If Michael Hiff is there and we don't draft him.....

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Huff, but yeah. I would do an angry dance!

Rockytop6

Reaction score
We do need a FS but you have only 2 OL off the board, 2DT and 3 LB. I think these are the areas we should look at and address one of those in the first rd. However, if a FS is the best player on the board then go for him.

Our OL is the biggest priority as far as I'm concerned. We don't have enough picks to fill all the holes at this time. We need to pick the best player in each rd from a pool of QB, OL, DT, ILB, FS and finally K. We need 2 OL. I know some of these may be adressed in FA but hopefully no old, over the hill guys.