Draft Hindsight: from Grade B to A.....

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
It was my first time to attend the NFL Draft in NYC and I had a GREAT time! I actually stood in line for the bracelet to get a ticket on Friday evening beginning at 5pm (the bracelets weren't given out until midnight), but I was prepared. I wore long-sleeve clothing, had a thick vest, and importantly, brought my folding chair to sit on. I was in line w/ the three Cowboys' fans who dressed-up as the "triplets" on draft day; they had the full-gear and all and got some T.V. time on draft day. Can't wait to come back next year cuz I went and stayed 'til the very end of the draft on Sunday and now I'm guarenteed a ticket for next year's draft. Hope it's in Radio City again cuz I really liked the venue.

Anyway, after some settling of the dust, I thought we had a solid draft (grade B) BUT I think we could have changed a couple of picks to give us an "A". I would have drafted this way; let me know what you think.....

1st (18th) - Bobby Carpenter, OLB - I would have preferred Lawson or Wimbley BUT Carpenter was my third choice. I'm still happy w/ this pick...

2nd (53rd) - Anthony Fasano, TE - Best combination of a pass-catching/blocking TE available at this point. Immediate starter. Very good pick especially since we're going to a two-TE offense.....

3rd (92nd) - HERE, I would have taken Willie Reid, WR/KR (FSU) - Just as good a KR/RS as Green but w/ more explosive speed and is more ready to contribute as a WR than Green.....

4th (125th) - Pat Watkins, FS - I would have been happy w/ him in this spot and it was a great stroke of luck that we got in him in the fifth.....

5th (138th) - Jonathan Scott, OLT (Texas) - I would have taken a chance on Scott here than McQuistan in the seventh. BIG upside if someone can find the right buttons to push.....

6th (182nd) - Montavious Stanley, NT - LOVED this pick in this round.....

7th (211th) - Rodrique Wright, DE (Texas) - Now we find out he has a torn rotator cuff; needs surgery and would have to be put on I.R. for the year BUT this will allow him time to work on being a DE in our 3-4, has the athletic ability to be a DE in a 3-4, would have been a great value pick in this round.....

7th (224th) - E.J. Whitley, C - I like this pick, I think he can be a good center for us and is versatile to play guard and tackle......

So what do ya'll think?

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
The only pick I didn't like was the Hatcher pick in the 3rd round. If Spears and Canty develop into the players that we think they can be, where does that leave room for Hatcher? In rotation? Do we really need to be spending a 3rd round pick on a rotation guy? I don't think so. The BPA method should not have applied here.

dannyboy

Reaction score
5mics said:
It was my first time to attend the NFL Draft in NYC and I had a GREAT time! I actually stood in line for the bracelet to get a ticket on Friday evening beginning at 5pm (the bracelets weren't given out until midnight), but I was prepared. I wore long-sleeve clothing, had a thick vest, and importantly, brought my folding chair to sit on. I was in line w/ the three Cowboys' fans who dressed-up as the "triplets" on draft day; they had the full-gear and all and got some T.V. time on draft day. Can't wait to come back next year cuz I went and stayed 'til the very end of the draft on Sunday and now I'm guarenteed a ticket for next year's draft. Hope it's in Radio City again cuz I really liked the venue.

Anyway, after some settling of the dust, I thought we had a solid draft (grade B) BUT I think we could have changed a couple of picks to give us an "A". I would have drafted this way; let me know what you think.....

1st (18th) - Bobby Carpenter, OLB - I would have preferred Lawson or Wimbley BUT Carpenter was my third choice. I'm still happy w/ this pick...

2nd (53rd) - Anthony Fasano, TE - Best combination of a pass-catching/blocking TE available at this point. Immediate starter. Very good pick especially since we're going to a two-TE offense.....

3rd (92nd) - HERE, I would have taken Willie Reid, WR/KR (FSU) - Just as good a KR/RS as Green but w/ more explosive speed and is more ready to contribute as a WR than Green.....

4th (125th) - Pat Watkins, FS - I would have been happy w/ him in this spot and it was a great stroke of luck that we got in him in the fifth.....

5th (138th) - Jonathan Scott, OLT (Texas) - I would have taken a chance on Scott here than McQuistan in the seventh. BIG upside if someone can find the right buttons to push.....

6th (182nd) - Montavious Stanley, NT - LOVED this pick in this round.....

7th (211th) - Rodrique Wright, DE (Texas) - Now we find out he has a torn rotator cuff; needs surgery and would have to be put on I.R. for the year BUT this will allow him time to work on being a DE in our 3-4, has the athletic ability to be a DE in a 3-4, would have been a great value pick in this round.....

7th (224th) - E.J. Whitley, C - I like this pick, I think he can be a good center for us and is versatile to play guard and tackle......

So what do ya'll think?

I would have went Max Jean-Gilles in the 3rd. Otherwise, great draft

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So you take Watkins a round higher than where we actually got him and draft two UT guys and that makes it an A.

I love the longhorns but jeez.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dannyboy said:
I would have went Max Jean-Gilles in the 3rd. Otherwise, great draft
There is a reason we (and all the other teams) pased on him. His stock was falling as his weight was rising.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Jon88 said:
The only pick I didn't like was the Hatcher pick in the 3rd round. If Spears and Canty develop into the players that we think they can be, where does that leave room for Hatcher?

Exactly where he needs to be if one or both suffers an injury that equates to lost playing time.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
5mics said:
. I was in line w/ the three Cowboys' fans who dressed-up as the "triplets" on draft day; they had the full-gear and all and got some T.V. time on draft day.
So they had those outfits on all night and all day, I bet they stunk then......Where they laughing and funny out there.......

How long was the line and what # were u in line next to the triplets.....

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
well, hindsight is 20/20
Hindsight is NORMALLY 20/20...in this case I'm not so sure. Q got us some OL picks in there but as far as immediate impact I don't think he got anywhere close. Plus he lost value on the Watkins pick...even though I agree that Watkins was worth a 4th rounder you just don't turn down a gift like that.

Anyway we got what we got and these kinds of exercises will drive you nuts.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
So they had those outfits on all night and all day, I bet they stunk then......Where they laughing and funny out there.......

How long was the line and what # were u in line next to the triplets.....
Nah, they only wore them on draft day. They had regular clothes on while in line. I'd say there were about 500 people in line (that started at 5pm Friday) waiting for the bracelets that were given out at midnight. More came exactly at midnight but us die-hards wanted to be sure we got one.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
It is what it is now.......no changing it......we have to support our new players.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
5mics said:

Were they giving tickets for next year to those who attended both days?
The full day?
Please explain.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Longboysfan said:
Were they giving tickets for next year to those who attended both days?
The full day?
Please explain.
On Sunday, they gave out one sheet per person that you filled out giving your name, address, contact number, and e-mail address. You turned in that sheet at the end of the draft (after the last player is picked) as you walk out of Radio City. They would not take the sheet until the end of the draft. They're supposed to mail you a ticket for next year's draft (for Saturday entrance only). Sunday is MUCH easier to get into. I got there an hours or so before it began and got in w/ no problems. Also, there are plenty of great seats available on Sundays. I guess only the die-hards go on the second day.....