Draft Opinion

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I have a few opinions about this year's draft that I think should be considered when reading all of these "mock drafts". It seems to me that noone takes into consideration the factor of free agency when they create these mocks.

1. San Francisco- QB, probably.

2. Miami- Cedric Benson RB. This is one I have a problem with. Almost every mock I see has Miami taking this RB with the second pick in the draft. If anything, I could see them getting a QB here, also. With a new coach and establishment it just seems right. Fiedler and Feely are garbage. This team needs the best RB they can get and I'm sure they won't want a rookie. Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James have both expressed a desire to play for Miami in 2005. I'm convinced they will go to free agency for this position and more specifically, one of these 2 guys will be a Dolphin next year.

3. Cleveland- I've read about Cleveland taking a QB in many mocks. I don't think so, especially with the expected return of Holcomb and the possibility of both the #1 and #2 picks being a QB in my prediction. If anything, this team should nab Benson RB because neither Green or Suggs impresses me. But most likely they will go with defense, maybe a CB (Rolle) or LB (Johnson).

4. Chicago- WR, sounds good.

5. Tampa Bay- RB, probably.

6. Tennessee- CB more than likely, especially if they get the first pick of the lot. Maybe LB.

7. Oakland- RB probably. LB, maybe WR.

8. Arizona- Here's another one everyone thinks will take a RB. This is the second of the two biggest suitors for a RB in free agency. I think Lamont Jordan, Anthony Thomas and a handful of others are all likely candidates to go to Arizona because they want to be a starter somewhere and would get their shot if they go to the Cards. A QB in the draft is more likely, especially if they got the second choice of QBs in the draft. They may even sign a QB and a RB in free agency and draft something else. If and only if they get a QB in free agency and not a RB will they select a RB here. (IMO)

9. Washington- WR or DE most likely.

10. Detroit- DE or S probably. Maybe Heath Miller TE.

11. Dallas- No matter how many times I say it, I still see it everywhere. CB. Umm... NO WAY! With all of the experienced vets and quality youngins available in free agency, Dalllas would be foolish to invest another 1st round pick in its secondary. Not here, not at pick #20 either. And I'm just fine with that. I'd like to have more than 5 years of experience in our secondary for a change and I think you'd be off if you didn't feel the same way. A DE, DT or LB please. Thankyou.

From here we'll jump to #20.

20. Dallas- CB. No thanks. WR... yes, please. Or whatever we didn't fill with the #11 pick. Personally, I don't want to trade down. We have a chance to really add some immediate impactful players with these two picks. WE NEED THEM! Please Jerry, do the right thing.

In conclusion, keep in mind... somebody's gonna sign Burress, Mason, Porter, Garcia, Bledsoe, Alexander, James, Rolle, Lucas, Dyson, Woodson, Sharper?, Warner, Bell, Hartwell, Williams, Jordan, Thomas, Darius, Smith and on and on it goes. While we don't know for surely who, I think with an educated guess we can get a good idea of what teams will have already addressed prior to the draft. I just wish these "mock draft experts" would do the same.

ghst187

Reaction score
that's true but there's only enough time in a day to take into account just so many variables. Most of the FA will be done before draft time and the mocks will adjust accordingly. I'm really hoping that Wash and/or Chicago picks up Burress and/or Porter so Williams has a much better chance of falling to us.
There are only so many teams with WR needs and so many willing to buy one in FA.
I really think that we'll pick up a FS, hopefully D Smith or Demps, DT, hopefully Ferguson, RT, hopefully McKenzie, DE, hopefully Hayward, and LB, hopefully Hartwell...maybe a CB too, hopefully Baxter or Lucas.
If we do all of that which is sounding more and more likely, I think we'll be looking at best WR, DL, or LB on the board when we pick.
A Mike Williams/Shawn Merriman first round would be a dream. I won't be upset if we get enough of those other players and skip a FA CB because this draft is so deep with them.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I also forgot about Travis Henry who currently being pursued by the Cards.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Here's my guesstimated mock draft as of now... something more like this...

1. San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers
2. Miami- Alex Smith
3. Cleveland- Derrick Johnson
4. Chicago- Mike Williams
5. Tampa Bay- Cadillac Williams
6. Tennessee- Erasmus James
7. Oakland- Braylon Edwards
8. Arizona- Marcus Spears
9. Washington- Dan Cody
10. Detroit- Heath Miller
11. Dallas- Shawne Merriman
12. San Diego- Troy Williamson
13. Houston- Cedric Benson
14. Carolina- Alex Barron
15. Kansas City- Pac Man Jones
16. New Orleans- Thomas Davis
17. Cincinatti- Travis Johnson
18. Minnesota- Antajj Hawthorne
19. St. Louis- Brandon Browner
20. Dallas- Roddy White

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Unless Erasmus James tears it up at the combine no way he goes in the top 10. Also, Pac Man Jones will be gone by pick #9.