Draft Prospect Profile: Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.bigblueview.com/2010/2/22/1315263/daily-nfl-draft-prospect-profile

Big Blue View -Your place for year-round New York Giants discussion and information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.HomeFanPostsFanShotsArchivesGiantsScheduleRosterStats. Share Daily NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
by Ed Valentine on Feb 22, 2010 11:00 AM EST in 2010 NFL Draft 14 comments

[Remember to check the '2010 NFL Draft' section for all stories relating to the draft.]

Every year there are a few players who come to the NFL from tiny, mostly unheard of places you would never expect. Jared Veldheer of Division II Hillsdale College is one such player.

Veldheer is a 6-foot-7, 325-pound mountain of a man who was the best offensive tackle in DII this season, and could be one of the best tackles in the 2010 NFL Draft class.

He is also the subject of today's Daily NFL Draft Prospect Profile.

Despite Veldheer's lack of exposure to elite competition, scouts are wowed by his physical skills and his potential. Right now I have seen projections that have Veldheer being chosen anywhere from the second to the fifth round. He will be one of the most intriguing players to watch at the Scouting Combine, and one of the players who could help or hurt himself the most.

Let's take a closer look.

Jared Veldheer Scouting Reports
From the National Football Post.

Veldheer is a physical freak at the position who’s going to run extremely well at this year’s combine and has the athletic skill set to match even the top prospects in the draft. He does have a bit of a learning curve and struggled at times vs. the jump in competition at this year's Texas vs. the Nation game. Overall, however, he’s a gifted kid with long arms, good natural strength for his size and has the upside to play on the left side in the NFL.

From Consensus Draft Services.

Recognized as on the best linemen in Division II - named 1st Team AFCA All-American, 1st Team AP Little All-American and Gene Upshaw finalist. Great student (3.0 GPA Bio) and recognized team leader in the weight room and on the field - his efforts led to Hillsdale's first-ever play-off appearance and first play-off win in 2009. Declined Valero Cactus Bowl invitation to play in Texas vs. The Nation bowl game where he wowed scouts during the week and whom some called 'the best offensive lineman there.'

Some scouts have listed Veldheer as high as the top 3 tackles in the draft. If he performs at the combine as well as he did at his bowl game, he could very well go as high as the 3rd round.

From D2Football.com.

A very athletic and massive left tackle with good feet but is raw and needs a lot of work. Right now is a mid-round projection but could move into the top 100 with a good combine showing due to upside and potential.

Why Veldheer fits with the Giants
We know the Giants need to begin re-constructing their offensive line. Last season's second-round pick, Will Beatty, is likely to end up starting at one of the two tackle positions in 2010. At this point, that leaves either David Diehl or Kareem McKenzie continuing to hold down a tackle slot, and I don't believe either one of those players is a long-term answer. The Giants could probably get one more year out of either of them, though, allowing a player like Veldheer to adjust to the competition. In 2011, he could be ready to step into the lineup.

Why the Giants should pass
Because Veldheer would be a project. Unless he adjusts to the speed and physicality of the pro game at lot faster than should be expected he is a guy who would be unlikely to contribute much, if anything, in 2010. Of course, the Giants have carried backup linemen Adam Koets and Guy Whimper for years, and neither of them has ever been useful. So, maybe that should not be a concern. But, it is something to think about.

(E-mail Ed at bigblueview@gmail.com. Follow Big Blue View on Twitter.)

burmafrd

Reaction score
It seems he has all the physical tools. Just have to find out if he has the discipline and drive and nasty edge to work at it until he can kick butt. If that is the case he would be a great second round pick.

The Realist

Reaction score
Good student and obviously works hard in the weight room.

I'd say he has the drive.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3284498 said:
I think he would be a good mid round pick.

on some teams reports are that he is the 3rd top ranked OT

he will go i think in 3rd or 4th round; probably 3rd due to his inexperince in big games, and needing some work et...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Now here is a player who could really jump in the draft if he wows em at the combine. He might make it into the second rd.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
burmafrd;3284559 said:
It seems he has all the physical tools. Just have to find out if he has the discipline and drive and nasty edge to work at it until he can kick butt. If that is the case he would be a great second round pick.
Agreed. We could keep Flo another year or two and have him refining his skills on the bench.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Cover 2;3284997 said:
Agreed. We could keep Flo another year or two and have him refining his skills on the bench.

thats what im thinking in the 3rd round hopefully, we can draft Mike Iupati in first round, Dexter McCluster in 2nd round and either Jason Fox or Veldheer in the 3rd round.

I think we are going to trade barber, with us getting mccluster, if we can for say a 3rd and 5th rounder for barber, so we can then go get a top safety with the 3rd in a trade and a fullback te in 4th. Then, we are pretty set.

Then, get a good NT to spell ratliff, and a big DE like Geathers, then we are set, hopefully get a kicker in 6th round or so.

Then, on offensive line, we have another huge offensive line with Flozell, Iupati, Fox or Veldheer, Gurode, Davis, Columbo and Doug Free with Brewster breaking in at OG. So, after Flozell is gone next year, we will have 6 offensive linemen that can play well for 5 years or so.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3285007 said:
thats what im thinking in the 3rd round hopefully, we can draft Mike Iupati in first round, Dexter McCluster in 2nd round and either Jason Fox or Veldheer in the 3rd round.

I think we are going to trade barber, with us getting mccluster, if we can for say a 3rd and 5th rounder for barber, so we can then go get a top safety with the 3rd in a trade and a fullback te in 4th. Then, we are pretty set.

Then, get a good NT to spell ratliff, and a big DE like Geathers, then we are set, hopefully get a kicker in 6th round or so.

Then, on offensive line, we have another huge offensive line with Flozell, Iupati, Fox or Veldheer, Gurode, Davis, Columbo and Doug Free with Brewster breaking in at OG. So, after Flozell is gone next year, we will have 6 offensive linemen that can play well for 5 years or so.
I think we'd be lucky to get a 5th for Barber. That is why I would be fine with keeping him for another year (in a reduced role only). If we got McCluster he would probably be looked at as a hybrid RB/WR. He would probably be considered a utility player, and it might even be Hurd's job that is in jeopardy as opposed to Barber's.

I would be fine though if we could get McCluster in the 2nd to be another game breaker to compliment Felix and Austin. I do have my doubts that McCluster will be there for our 2nd though.

burmafrd

Reaction score
McCluster is a luxury frankly that right now should not be a priority. Barber will not get traded with his current contract so forget that. We will stand pat this year at RB; any real moves will be made at OL and maybe Safety.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like this from one of the blurbs...

article said:
Recognized as on the best linemen in Division II - named 1st Team AFCA All-American, 1st Team AP Little All-American and Gene Upshaw finalist. Great student (3.0 GPA Bio) and recognized team leader in the weight room and on the field - his efforts led to Hillsdale's first-ever play-off appearance and first play-off win in 2009. Declined Valero Cactus Bowl invitation to play in Texas vs. The Nation bowl game where he wowed scouts during the week and whom some called 'the best offensive lineman there.'

Seems to indicate he is a hard worker and his coaches and team consider him a leader.

The Realist

Reaction score
30+ reps is outstanding for a 6-8 with long arms.

Smart, fast, strong.

If this guy really runs 4.8-4.85......watch out.

Woods

Reaction score
The Realist;3285503 said:
30+ reps is outstanding for a 6-8 with long arms.

Smart, fast, strong.

If this guy really runs 4.8-4.85......watch out.

i think he can go as high as the 2nd round with a good combine. possbily similar situation to the ot the pats picked up in the 2nd round last draft.

i'm not sure what the analysts thought after the Texas vs. Nation game a few weeks ago regarding his performance.

The Realist

Reaction score
Not that it means anything but Brewster was at Texas Vs Nation last year.

Woods

Reaction score
The Realist;3285579 said:
Not that it means anything but Brewster was at Texas Vs Nation last year.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Silverstar;3285970 said:
Veldheer is already in the 50-75 range IMO.

yup I agree hes the next Vollmer

I just as soon wait if were givin a guy 2 yrs to develope

I am looking at

OT Tyler Eastman Maine Height 6-6 Weight 325
his strength at left tackle comes from his thick lower-body build and leg strength, which he used to successfully anchor in pass protection and drills.

OT Derek Hardman, Eastern Kentucky Height: 6-6. Weight: 305.
He’s moved well at the left tackle and left guard positions.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
From Rotoworld:

Hillsdale OT Jared Veldheer weighed in at 6'8/312 with 33-inch arms Thursday at the Combine.

As ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah notes, "with that height, you'd like to see longer arms." We'd also like to see more bulk on his lanky frame. Veldheer is a project coming from little Hillsdale College, but some teams may no longer project him to left tackle because of his mediocre arm length. This hurts because Veldheer obviously isn't powerful enough to play the right side.
Consider me a little less interested.

The Realist

Reaction score
Almost the identical size as Colombo who is 6-8/318.

Veldheer supposedly does 30+ reps of 225.

burmafrd

Reaction score
When you come right down to it an inch or two does not mean much.