DraftCountdown.com: Senior Bowl Monday Practice Notes (North and South)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/North-125.php

2010 Senior Bowl - Monday North Practice

Matt McGuire

BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1

The NFL Draft gods granted us beautiful weather today in Mobile, Ala. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and there was a nice breeze coming through as draft hopefuls on the North team performed in shells at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

There was a lot of play installation and wishy-washy drills, so I wasn't that serious in scouting since a lot of players were getting their feet wet and settled in, and some drills you just have to take with a grain of salt since they just don't show much. Tuesday is always a better day to judge the talent. Let's get right to it:

When I first walked into Ladd, I headed to the back end zone to watch the punt returners field balls. Mardy Gilyard did a great job focusing and looking the ball in - he looked like a natural out there. "Make sure to judge the wind, Mardy," said a Lions special team coach.

This coach also told the player to cheat a bit to the right so they could come back to the left to make the catch based on the wind direction. I love these little tidbits you get watching an NFL coaching staff.

Jacoby Ford did a consistent job getting under punts, but running back Joique Bell from Wayne State struggled a bit in this department.

After the horn sounded for the next drill, I made my way to the sidelines and caught up with Chris Steuber of Scout.com and we watched the quarterbacks work.

Sean Canfield showed very unimpressive arm strength and really struggled to throw the ball on basic out patterns that he must complete at the next level. One time, the receiver ran a 12-yard out and Canfield had to get a bit of air under the ball to complete it. This throw needs to be a frozen rope and this is a deficiency you just have to doubt a quarterback to overcome at the next level, but I think Canfield has potential as a solid backup in the league.

Gilyard, a receiver I'm not a huge fan of, had a great day so I have to give it to him. He came cleanly out of his breaks and showed very good hands in a 3-cone receiver drill. He did a great job of adjusting to poorly thrown balls and I liked his body control. With Brandon LaFell out, the top senior receiver here is up for grabs and Gilyard is standing up to the pressure in front of scouts.

I thought California CB Syd'Quan Thompson had fluid hips in dropback drills, but we need to see how these translate to live action or if it was just a mirage.

Washington linebacker Donald Butler showed very slow feet in footwork drills, while TCU's Daryl Washington was textbook with his smooth athleticism and movement. Washington is a good technician who plays with a low center of gravity so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

In passing drills Tony Pike was awful today, and this is a big platform for him to make a push for the second round. A lot of his balls were wobbly and didn't come out crisp. It got so bad Steuber called him Tony "Bad Ball" Pike. Later on in the practice, Pike had a nice, accurate throw on a go route and did a good job of putting it in the breadbasket of his receiver. Overall Pike really struggled today, but you never want to overanalyze this stuff - there is a difference between a bad practice and a bad week. Sometimes it just isn't your day, but Pike isn't doing much to sway over the big boards of front offices.

During blocking drills, I thought Oregon's Ed Dickson showed good technique and hand use, but this was against a dummy so I'm not getting that excited. Tight ends coach Tim Lappano yelled at Wisconsin's Garrett Graham, "Roll your hips ... that's better!" Lappano got on Dickson later on for his ball security, "Put it away!"

Jacoby Ford and Danario Alexander showed very inconsistent hands today. These players might be borderline third-round picks so there is no doubt they need to step it up - especially Ford who has intriguing speed and athleticism over the middle.

I wasn't impressed with Ohio receiver Taylor Price today at all in individual drills or 7v7's. He rounds off his routes and struggles getting out of the break. He also had some bad hands, and as a lesser-known player he needs to step it up.

Ohio State's Kurt Coleman struggled to match up in man coverage drills. This just isn't his forte and safeties usually struggle with this drill. He had bad footwork and balance, but in space he seems to be a better player on tape where he can see the field and react. Nickel is probably out of the question of his skill set, however.

One of the players to watch this week is Rutgers corner Devin McCourty. I think he is presently a late second-round value, but he did an outstanding job today in drills breaking on the ball and showing great instincts. He's a player to watch with the title of No. 1 senior cornerback up in the air.

About an hour into practice, I noticed O'Brien Schofield getting helped off the field and it didn't look good. Unfortunately, Schofield tore his ACL. I don't need to tell you that this is a BIG hit to his draft status. I wish him the best.

Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount ran with authority today in drills (take it with a grain of salt). Surprisingly, no punches were thrown, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet on that prediction. In all seriousness, I don't like how Blount runs with a high pad level so that's something to look for. Non-explosive backs who stay high generally can't pan out in the NFL because they don't maximize power and expose their legs to linebackers.

A player to watch this week is Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour. He was highly impressive showing a solid arm and touch, but later in 11v11's he struggled a little bit. By far he was the most impressive QB out here today.

I watched Michigan State kicker Brett Swenson and I just wasn't that impressed with his leg strength on kickoffs as he struggled to get the ball into the end zone with an average hang.

My defensive MVP for the day has got to be Boise State's Kyle Wilson. In coverage he showed fluid hips and did a great job of locating the football and making plays. He was very physical with his jam and he certainly made the most plays. I like him as a second-round value as a corner/nickel with added value as a return man.

Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee looked solid. He dominated receivers on deep routes because he can turn and run with anybody here. I want to see how he performs against Clemson's Jacoby Ford, who will run in the 4.40 range. Ghee needs to make plays tomorrow if he wants to end up in the late first round.

Defensive tackle Tyson Alualu out of Cal had a very good practice in 11v11's. He was very physical and blew up a couple runs. He checked in at 6-2 at the weigh-in, so now I have serious concerns if he can play 5-technique. He might be a 3-technique only.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-125.php

January 25, 2010
2010 Senior Bowl - Monday South Practice
Scott Wright
President, Draft Countdown

It was 65 degrees and sunny with a cool breeze as the South team took the field at Fairhope Municipal Stadium for their first practice. The Miami Dolphins coaching staff opted to start their guys out in shells today, which is helmets and shoulder pads.

• Of course the guy everyone wanted to see was Florida QB Tim Tebow and all eyes were on the former Heisman Trophy winner as he got his first exposure to a pro-style offense. Unfortunately all of the reservations people had about Tebow were validated by his performance. Despite reportedly working to shorten his delivery it is still way too long and he also seems to lunge into his throws and almost push the ball. After working in the shotgun his entire college career Tebow struggled mightily with the center / quarterback exchange, fumbling about a half dozen times. Tebow also had some issues with his accuracy, missing a lot of throws badly. As was the case in college Tebow failed to throw a tight spiral on a consistent basis as well. Now for some positives. Tebow’s footwork as he dropped back was much better than I expected it to be and he also showed pretty good touch on his deep throws. We also got a glimpse of those renowned Tebow intangibles as he really took coaching well and was quite vocal in encouraging his teammates. However, all in all it was a very tough day for Tebow and he appears to be every bit the project most thought he was. On the bright side things can only get better.

• Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson was the most impressive quarterback on the South team today. Robinson struggled with the deep ball but his intermediate throws were sharp and accurate with tight spirals.

• West Virginia QB Jarrett Brown’s drops appeared to be a little choppy but he displayed some elusiveness in the pocket while still keeping his attention downfield.

• Ole Miss’ Dexter McCluster is listed as a wide receiver on the roster but he worked as a running back today. McCluster is so small that he basically gets lost amid the offensive linemen but he is very tough and feisty. On one play McCluster was popped by Jamar Chaney but he managed to stay upright and keep running.

• Former U.A.B. quarterback Joe Webb had a pretty good day as he attempts to make the transition to wide receiver. Webb is extremely raw, not very explosive and may not have natural hands but he was extremely physical. Not only did Webb show the ability to get off the line and beat the jam against guys like Taylor Mays and Nate Allen but he did it in a violent fashion. On one rep he simply threw Javier Arenas to the ground and on another he delivered a bona fide headslap to Taylor Mays. Later in the practice Webb drew cheers from the crowd as he beat Patrick Robinson on a deep pass, which may have been the day’s biggest play.

• Ole Miss WR Shay Hodge dropped one ball early but overall he had a strong showing. Hodge displayed the ability to snatch the ball out of the air away from his body and also went down to make a nice catch in 7-on-7’s.

• Alabama TE Colin Peek dropped a catchable ball in 7-on-7’s but then came back a few plays later and redeemed himself with a nice grab.

• Florida WR Riley Cooper had a real hard time getting off the line versus the jam.

• Citadel WR Andre Roberts is very smooth and a polished route runner.

• The best way to describe Mississippi State RB Anthony Dixon is "A Bruiser".

• Nick Saban was on hand at practice and he noted to a fellow observer that Alabama OG Mike Johnson is a “good player”.

• Physically USC S Taylor Mays is a man amongst boys. It’s shocking how much bigger he is compared to the other defensive backs. He truly does look like a linebacker out on the field. Mays drew a reaction from the crowd when he basically ran right through Andre Roberts on a play in the deep middle.

• It was an up and down day for Florida State CB Patrick Robinson. Early on Robinson was run over by a wideout in a drill due to poor footwork but to his credit he took some coaching and improved. Robinson also dropped an easy interception in 7-on-7’s but later came away with a pick against Tim Tebow. It appears as though Robinson does better against faster receivers than he does against big, physical pass catchers. Robinson also broke up multiple passes throughout the day.

• Miami (FL) LB Darryl Sharpton blew up a run play in the backfield in 7-on-7’s.

• South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood looked stuff in the hips while backpedaling and changing directions. However, he showed good instincts.

• Alabama CB Javier Arenas isn’t real big but he is awfully feisty and physical.

• Oklahoma State CB Perrish Cox picked off a Jarrett Brown pass along the sideline in 11-on-11’s today that most likely would have gone to the house.

• After looking extremely impressive at the weigh-in Florida State S Myron Rolle carried that momentum onto the field and had a very good practice. Rolle displayed excellent technique, used his hands well and did a nice job of jamming wideouts at the line. It's still early but Rolle could surprise this week.

• Alabama K Leigh Tiffin missed a couple of very easy kicks near the end of practice but quickly turned it around. Meanwhile East Carolina P Matt Dodge was not impressive and a number of his attempts were way too low.

In some ways the talent-laden South team didn’t quite live up to the hype in their first practice. There were definitely some good performances but none that made you jump out of your seat. I'm sure that will change as the week progresses though.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised Zac Robinson looked good. I am an OK State fan and thought Zac was a good college player, but would struggle against the better players due to his lack of arm strength.

I've heard Cox from OK State has looked good as well. One thing about him is he got suspended by Coach Gundy from the Cotton Bowl. I forgot why though, but that does raise some concerns.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
theogt;3256663 said:
• South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood looked stuff in the hips while backpedaling and changing directions. However, he showed good instincts.

he'll run a 4.6 at the combine and his stock will soar.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I heard Gilyard has six drops in two days.

Good.

I hope he drops to the third round and we can get him to be the full time K/P Returner and develop him as a WR.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3256861 said:
I heard Gilyard has six drops in two days.

Good.

I hope he drops to the third round and we can get him to be the full time K/P Returner and develop him as a WR.

Exactly. I hope he has the worst practices of his life.