Drafting gets a pass?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Will McClay supposedly turned down a bundle to be Texans GM a few yrs back as Jerry was all in and retained his services probably outbid the Texans . Make no mistake McClay runs the draft . And McClay generally does an admirable job .

When you closely inspect some of these blow outs suffered and the one and done syndrome in the playoffs it’s way beyond Dak .

Mazi Smith . Schoonmacher . Sam Williams . Damone Clark . All high picks young still on the initial contract . I wouldn’t extend any of them when the time comes .

How about WR ? Add any dependable outlets to compliment Lamb . Tolbert is beginning to show something as they have finally targeted him . Other than him possibly Flournoy & Turpin (UDFA) in the future .

RB ? No one . Deuce low draft pick low results with Dowdle an UDFA . Zeke never should have been brought back .

Finally some investment in the OL which will possibly work out . The roster my friends on close inspection not as playoff worthy as hyped perhaps .

kskboys

Reaction score
Will McClay supposedly turned down a bundle to be Texans GM a few yrs back as Jerry was all in and retained his services probably outbid the Texans . Make no mistake McClay runs the draft . And McClay generally does an admirable job .

When you closely inspect some of these blow outs suffered and the one and done syndrome in the playoffs it’s way beyond Dak .

Mazi Smith . Schoonmacher . Sam Williams . Damone Clark . All high picks young still on the initial contract . I wouldn’t extend any of them when the time comes .

How about WR ? Add any dependable outlets to compliment Lamb . Tolbert is beginning to show something as they have finally targeted him . Other than him possibly Flournoy & Turpin (UDFA) in the future .

RB ? No one . Deuce low draft pick low results with Dowdle an UDFA . Zeke never should have been brought back .

Finally some investment in the OL which will possibly work out . The roster my friends on close inspection not as playoff worthy as hyped perhaps .
Clark was a 5th round pick.

But, yes, those high draft picks busting are ruining us. Not to mention the ignoring of key positions.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Clark was a 5th round pick.

But, yes, those high draft picks busting are ruining us. Not to mention the ignoring of key positions.

I should clarify why I included Clark in that group . He was another of the “ heralded medical picks “ Dallas seems to like to collect . After Clark was drafted all you heard was well if he didn’t have a serious physical condition coming out of college he would have been a second rounder . He was taken in the 5th and he has never shown any flashes of 2nd round talent .

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I can understand the logic of using your first round pick on a NT. But someone has to convince me that the 2nd round pick on a TE made any football sense. I cannot tell when he's on the field if he is any better than an UDFA.

Reactions: CWR

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Compared to the rest of the NFL the cowboys are excellent at drafting. This is the entire issue with the cowboys roster building philosophy….theyre almost completely reliant upon hitting on multiple draft pick every single year. The hit rate on draft picks is simply not very good. Really if you come out of a draft with two starter caliber players you did pretty well. Supplementation through free agency is a must.