Drew, Keyshawn, Terry and two minutes

Reaction score
Throughout out the season and during regulation play opinions vary widely regarding Drew Bledsoe and the age and speed that the Cowboys have at the wide receiver position with Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn and how effective they will be. In my thinking, this should actually become a distinct advantage in 2-minute situations however. With the experience these three have it should really give them an advantage over most teams, especially in our division. Remember, the 2-minute drill in not about 75 yard bombs, but rather its about methodically making your way to strategic points up the field, managing your time, awareness on the field, your knowledge of the rules, using yours wits, your conditioning and work ethic. With the experience these three have collectively it should be very interesting to see them work in 2-minute situations.

I am not saying that this thinking translates to the entire game, but I would expect these guys to create, or help create and execute most anything they wanted to in 2-minute situations.

I know that Parcells has a philosphy of stay close, ware you down, and close the game, so perhaps there is a method to his madness.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
You're right. Experience in the two minute drill does give the Cowboys an advantage.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I don't know man how fast do they go with them walkers:D

Reaction score
A damned good point. I fail to see why the majority here seem to be so down on Key and Terry. Key played hurt for a good part of last season & only succumbed to injury towards the end of the last game, missing 1000 yd. season by about 30 yards. He pretty much always got us the yards we needed when we needed them. Before Terry went down, he made some spectacular, circus type grabs that had everyone here talking about them.

Do we need to add some young blood to our receiver corps? Hell yes. BUT only so many needs can be addressed in one offseason. These guys are going to be fine this year. Morgan was in a new system & was injured last year, limiting his contribution. We will see more of him this season. He may surprise us all. And both Crayton and Copper showed promise last year.

Let's not be so fast to write these guys off. They made it to the pros - the talent is there. Trust in our coaching staff to do their jobs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Boy's fan in Giant land said:
A damned good point. I fail to see why the majority here seem to be so down on Key and Terry. Key played hurt for a good part of last season & only succumbed to injury towards the end of the last game, missing 1000 yd. season by about 30 yards. He pretty much always got us the yards we needed when we needed them. Before Terry went down, he made some spectacular, circus type grabs that had everyone here talking about them.

Do we need to add some young blood to our receiver corps? Hell yes. BUT only so many needs can be addressed in one offseason. These guys are going to be fine this year. Morgan was in a new system & was injured last year, limiting his contribution. We will see more of him this season. He may surprise us all. And both Crayton and Copper showed promise last year.

Let's not be so fast to write these guys off. They made it to the pros - the talent is there. Trust in our coaching staff to do their jobs.

I agree with you and I'm surprised how fast some are willing to write players off or have no desire to give a player a chance. Key showed last season he is still a top notch possession WR he does exactly what the Cowboys pay him to do which is to go over the middle and make the catch, Key also showed he was still physical enough to take the big hit and hold on to the ball. As for Glenn he was having a good season up to the point of his injury, the 2 younger WR made plays when given the opportunity and I think those opportunities will increase as Parcells establishes trust in Crayton and Copper.

Cowchips

Reaction score
My thinking is that how good or bad the Boy's play will come down to whether or not T. Glenn stays healthy. Since he's only played in 16 games twice in 9 years, I think it might be asking a lot for him to stay healthy.

What is our backup plan? Quincy Morgan?? Cough cough, gag, gag!!

ravidubey

Reaction score
Compare five WR's from the 1996 draft: Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Terrell Owens.

Harrison has the best QB willing him into a Hall of Famer. He can run and Manning will gun. How many TD passes has he caught from the 40 yard line? Hard to count, but only because Manning is willing to throw those passes and the coaches know Harrison can catch them. But does Harrison block? Can he go across the middle and take a hit? He doesn't have to. He can run a skinny post and his QB will hit him perfectly despite Harrison's average size. Harrison has one of the best running backs of the decade behind him too. He can block, but with Manning on the team Harrison is a better decoy, leading defenders away from James. I think it affects James' ability to break long runs which usually involves a great block from a WR. After 1999, when he had a 72 yard run, James' longest run in each season has been 30, 29, 20, 43, and 40 yards. I honestly believe Dallas Clark had more to do with his success the past two seasons, but of course it's speculation.

Moulds is a bigger version of Harrison who has made a living dominating smaller cornerbacks deep. Henry and McGahee aren't known for breaking long runs either. I think Moulds is more well-rounded, but he isn't called on to be a possession guy. He is going to languish this season with that OL and Losman starting. By the time Losman becomes a player, Moulds will be history.

Terry Glenn has always been a deep threat on every team he's been a part of. When Tuna has been his coach, TG's been inspired to do more, but it's clear that he becomes less competitive when he's away from BP. I remember his nickname in Fantasy circles in the late 1990's was "Terina" Glenn from always being hurt or in trouble (the infamous "she" reference didn't help). Even during his prime he battled with leg injuries, and now that he's over 30 I see them plaguing him throughout every year he remains in the league.

Which brings us to Key. He's never, ever been a breakaway or deep threat, but you couldn't have a better intermediate receiver. He's a bigger and more competitive version of Al Toon. But Keyshawn is so competitive and physical that it wears him down physically by the end of the season. I've never seen a WR take hits as squarely as Key and have referred to him as the Rodney Hampton of WR's. I believe Keyshawn will break down all at once, and we saw this begin by the end of last year. First the injured knee and then the broken foot. This is a man on the rapid decline, and this decline will be a free fall if he's called upon to do what he did last year.

Terrell Owens, ironically the last of this group to be drafted, is a freak of nature and the most complete of them all. He's the biggest WR I've ever seen for a man his height, he can block, he's fast, and he knows how to turn a small play into a big play. No one in the NFL can match his talent, and he's not known for being injured. But even he got hurt last year. Maybe this glimpse of his football mortality has been the biggest motivation behind his clamoring for more scratch, maybe he's still hurt.

The clock is ticking on this whole group, and wise teams are looking for exit strategies from depending on this class.

Reggie Wayne, Reggie Brown, Peerless Price, Josh Reed, and Lee Evans were attempts by some teams to stem the tide, but Dallas is among the teams that has done squat. The Cowboy GM'ing has simply been inexcusable in this regard. In a passing league, WR has become the second most important position behind QB.