Recap: Drew Pearson on Ticket with Norm Hitzges

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
It was Drew who caught the 4th down pass. Preston dropped the next pass from Staubach which ironically was a blessing because it helped set up the hail mary pass. Drew deserves the HOF, he was the most clutch WR I have ever seen.

Yes sir you are right! It was Drew who made the clutch 4th down catch but Preston made the SI cover. The story is Drew came back to the huddle after that play and told Roger "I can beat Nate Wright all day." He did.

Thanks for that.

CoCo

Reaction score
Yes sir you are right! It was Drew who made the clutch 4th down catch but Preston made the SI cover. The story is Drew came back to the huddle after that play and told Roger "I can beat Nate Wright all day." He did.

Thanks for that.

What WR doesn't tell the QB they can beat their man all day?

But back to that game. yes, Drew on 4th down, and Drew on the Hail Mary. That 4th down play, that out from Staubach to Drew was ridiculously unstoppable. Drew made a career of it. And that one on 4th down in particular is just sick. Zero margin for error and the two (Roger 7 Drew) just nailed it.

And I had never seen the guy come over and kick Drew until a couple years ago. Wow! Pure class by that guy. Unreal!

mrmojo

Reaction score
Zimmerman is as bad as Peter King I believe who did not want Bob Hayes in the HOF because he had his hands in his pockets during the ICE bowl.

If that's the case then Thurman Thomas shouldn't be in for losing his helmet against the Commanders and faking cramps against the cowboy's.

DandyDon1722

Reaction score
The reporter was Paul Zimmerman and he no longer has a HOF vote, IIRC.

Yes! Man I could not think of his name but that's him. Incredible how a professional in that position could take a personal stance against a player who all he ever did was try and excel. I bet there's a lot of that in that voting room.

DandyDon1722

Reaction score
Zimmerman is as bad as Peter King I believe who did not want Bob Hayes in the HOF because he had his hands in his pockets during the ICE bowl.

If that's the case then Thurman Thomas shouldn't be in for losing his helmet against the Commanders and faking cramps against the cowboy's.

Never forget Peter King was a Giants season ticket holder before becoming an NFL writer. He constantly digs us in his column. I have followed him for years and it's been a pattern. At the end of the day though - winning shuts him up.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you've never seen the footage from that Hail Mary drive, I encourage everyone to go back and watch it. On the fourth down conversion (again to Pearson) that set up the big play, the MIN linesman runs out and gives Drew a kick while he's lying on the ground at the marker. Hilarious. And then, of course, we rip their heart out. It doesn't really matter if a retired MIN reporter was never able to come to terms with it. It was one of the greatest plays in NFL history.

Here's the vid. It looks like it was security and not the guy holding the down/distance marker, but still amusing. at the 2:40 mark, thereabouts.

Cebrin

Reaction score
at the Rams from 2Not much on the team itself. Only said a year ago this team could not have come back from being 21 points down. What he sees in this team this year is them being "more accountable", player hard and aggressive, the way they are supposed to play. And though limited with talent still, if they eliminate the mistakes, the turnovers, and use the knowledge, play smarter, they can win games. He likes what he sees.

Was Drew listening to our conversation earlier?

coult44

Reaction score
In Norm's intro, said he has known Drew for 41 years, from his 1st TC with the Cowboys.
Drew Pearson & Tony Hill were the 1st WR combo to ever have 2 WR's having 1000 yards each in the same season. Drew said he did not know that.
Also Tony Dorsett's 1000 yards rushing, made them the 1st trio of 1000 yards each.

Quite a bit of time used on the Breast Cancer charity run coming up and NFL League issues. And Drew's numbers compared to numbers now, run vs pass, then and now. And some HOF stuff. Criteria used and such. Said if ricky Jackson is in the HOF, then Harvey Martin should be also.
With his numbers, it was about the quality of stats, not the amount they put emphassis on today. He may only had 479 receptions, but 11 times in the playoffs, SB's, should count for something. Same thing with Harris, Waters, and others. Feels bad that there are many great players from the past, not with just the Cowboys, but from other teams too, that should be considered and be in the HOF

Said a reporter / voter for the Vikings said he would never vote for Drew because he still believes he pushed off on the Hail Mary....

Not much on the team itself. Only said a year ago this team could not have come back and beat the Rams from 21 points down. What he sees in this team this year is them being "more accountable", player hard and aggressive, the way they are supposed to play. And though limited with talent still, if they eliminate the mistakes, the turnovers, and use the knowledge, play smarter, they can win games. He likes what he sees.

Somebody run the race for my wife out there in Dallas. TEAM MISTY....Diagnosed 3 months ago Stage 3 breast cancer. Fighting like I hope our Cowboys do. She not letting this thing stop her or slow her down. Her smile is bigger and hugs longer now more than ever. Life long Cowboys fans ....Bee really cool to see a team Misty shirt thorwn out there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Somebody run the race for my wife out there in Dallas. TEAM MISTY....Diagnosed 3 months ago Stage 3 breast cancer. Fighting like I hope our Cowboys do. She not letting this thing stop her or slow her down. Her smile is bigger and hugs longer now more than ever. Life long Cowboys fans ....Bee really cool to see a team Misty shirt thorwn out there.

Drew said he lost 2 sisters to breast cancer. Younger sister was diagnosed at stage 4 at age 44, other sister at stage 1 but it was cured and lived for another 10 years. She died from other complications though. I think she was an older sister. Said after the 1st sister was diagnosed, all his sisters went to be checked.
I think it is on October 18th or 19th, Can't remember exactly what day.

marchetta

Reaction score
Great WR, and Great Dallas Cowboy, but I can't get past... "Dallas should've taken Mandarich and not Aikman. I would trade anyone on the team, except Herschel, straight up for Mandarich." (paraphrased ESPN interview with Roy Firestone)