DT in draft

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I know everybody has a different view on how we should handle the first round. I have not completely made up my mind about it either. What if we were to take a DT high in the draft. Someone like Okam from UT. Thoughts?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
As long as the guy is worth the draft spot, I'm all for it. We really need a true 34 NT so we can get Ratliff at end.

Besides the guys mentioned, I like the guy from Iowa State... Though he may not go that high.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Yea, I like Rubin a lot too. I would like to get one of the 3 mentioned above and allow Ratliff to move back to end, even though he filled it really well at NT.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In the third wound it would be superb.

if we were to draft Otah or Bryant and get CB,WR, and RB taken care of before that that would be ideal.

Doing so would mean placing Ratliff opposite Canty and Tank in the middle. rotating in Spear, Hatcher, rookie and possible Bowen would be most excellent.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the style that Wade played did not involve a huge true NT, but rather a strong athlet DT. So maybe we do not move anybody on the line.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;1997583 said:
I was under the impression that the style that Wade played did not involve a huge true NT, but rather a strong athlet DT. So maybe we do not move anybody on the line.

He had Williams in SD who is oneof the biggest players in the league. He says in Denver he used guys like Kragen who weren't very big.

He is one of the only coaches the actually means it when he says he fits his scheme to his players.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;1997583 said:

True, he doesn't have to be the immovable fireplug type, but it would still be nice if he were a little bigger and stronger than what we have.

I just think Ratliff would be a better end, mainly.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Trevor Laws is the only NT I would draft for the Cowboys within the first five rounds this year.

High motor guys are the only DT/NT's who will succeed in Wade's 3-4 defense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Wade says he doesn't need a plugger in the middle, but he's a defend-the-run-1st kind of guy, so the NT can't be one who does nothing but shoot gaps, but he can't be an immobile one either, which is probably why they were talking to Red Bryant, that guy can scoot

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;1997565 said:
I know everybody has a different view on how we should handle the first round. I have not completely made up my mind about it either. What if we were to take a DT high in the draft. Someone like Okam from UT. Thoughts?

Okam showed up at the combine like 25 pounds overweight, and ran a miserable 40 there... unless he gets serious about working out between now and Texas' Pro Day (which IIRC is March 19th), he's probably down to about a 4th rounder now... it will take a great performance at those Pro Day workouts to resurrect his draft stock...

The DT who is getting positive press these days is Red Bryant from Texas A&M, who is drawing favorable comparisons to Casey Hampton... he might still be on the board when the Boys pick at the end of the third round, but he might be gone by then, so if the Boys like him (and there are reports they do like him), then they might be forced to take him at the end of the second round...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1997575 said:
As long as the guy is worth the draft spot, I'm all for it. We really need a true 34 NT so we can get Ratliff at end.

Besides the guys mentioned, I like the guy from Iowa State... Though he may not go that high.

I'm with you....the kid is a football player and he needs to be a Cowboy on draft day. I really think this defense will be much better off with Ratliff (love the guy, but he is not a true nose tackle) at end and a NT with a big ole' arse replacing him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Okam would fit the profile perfectly IMO. I agree with those who say Okam has underachieved but the natural ability Okam has is unreal. That is a guy who could play strong at the point of attack and penatrate both. Williams in SD is a big guy but he's also very quick. I think Okam will go higher then the 4th round. I think maybe 3rd or late second. He's just got too much natural ability. Having said that, I'd probably rather see us take Rubin, Dre Moore or Pressley later in the draft.

tvooz

Reaction score
silverbear;1997711 said:
The DT who is getting positive press these days is Red Bryant from Texas A&M, who is drawing favorable comparisons to Casey Hampton... he might still be on the board when the Boys pick at the end of the third round, but he might be gone by then, so if the Boys like him (and there are reports they do like him), then they might be forced to take him at the end of the second round...

bryant only benched 20 reps. i would be concerned with his lack of strength as a NT.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/combineDL.html

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1998241 said:
I think we have bigger needs. Much bigger.

I'll tell ya, I think we have needs in other areas as well but I'm of the opinion that we should take the best player available at any need position. If the player is a NT, I can get behind that. I'd rather take the guy with the best chance to be great in the NFL rather then reaching to try and fit a position, if you will.

Not saying this is what your thoughts are. Just kinda saying how I veiw it.

:)

Woods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1998582 said:
I'll tell ya, I think we have needs in other areas as well but I'm of the opinion that we should take the best player available at any need position. If the player is a NT, I can get behind that. I'd rather take the guy with the best chance to be great in the NFL rather then reaching to try and fit a position, if you will.

Not saying this is what your thoughts are. Just kinda saying how I veiw it.

:)

I really agree with this philosophy. We just need to take the best player available, and if there are a couple available at our spot who are deemed approximately equal in terms of our rating, then take the guy who fills the bigger need.