Dungy, class act, but just can't get it done.

DefendeR

Benched
Reaction score
True...
Funny part is that Gruden won with his Buccaneers the season after he left Tampa...Believe it or Not!

-Ripley.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yeah, Dungy is a guy that can build the team but after that, he cant take you to the top.

- Mike G.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, Dungy is a guy that can build the team but after that, he cant take you to the top.

- Mike G.

...Dungy's punt unit is going to be a concern for me. I have to wonder who is calling the show when the chips are down in Indy. As a HC I would have to say that I wouldn't want Manning on my team.

Not the type of organization I would want to build.

Dollars to donuts there are going to be some criticism articles about Manning's move. Also, Dungy is going to face some questions about that non on field exchange.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They used to say the same thing about Larry Brown and Mack Brown.

Sometimes its just that you don't quite win it all.
The Colts were flat but had also played a candy-coated schedule all year and were never tested to this level.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...Dungy's punt unit is going to be a concern for me. I have to wonder who is calling the show when the chips are down in Indy. As a HC I would have to say that I wouldn't want Manning on my team.

Not the type of organization I would want to build.

Dollars to donuts there are going to be some criticism articles about Manning's move. Also, Dungy is going to face some questions about that non on field exchange.

Man, I was shocked on that one 4th Down, which Manning converted where Dungy sent the Punt Team out and Manning told them to go back to the sideline.

As I stated, Manning ultimately converted but damn, that just told you who really runs the show.

scottsp

Reaction score
Wow. If you can't win it this year...

New England was out of the way. This was theirs. Are they not the first team to start out 13-0 and not win the whole thing?

peppersquad

Reaction score
That mighta been the worst coached game from a team Ive ever seen.

He blew everything.

Play calls, clock Mgmt, emotionally.

He couldnt coach my team.

jimmy40

Reaction score
jterrell said:
They used to say the same thing about Larry Brown and Mack Brown.

Sometimes its just that you don't quite win it all.
The Colts were flat but had also played a candy-coated schedule all year and were never tested to this level.
Mack Brown never had the best team and the NBA just flat out sucks anyway.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
His son's selfishness really doomed this team. There was a cloud that never left them. They couldn't be loosey-goosey in the lockerroom for fear of appearing insensitive. They were tight and it showed.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
bbgun said:
His son's selfishness really doomed this team. There was a cloud that never left them. They couldn't be loosey-goosey in the lockerroom for fear of appearing insensitive. They were tight and it showed.

Harsh but kinda true. Actually I think the Colts problem is they don't have that killer instinct. I think it starts with Dungy. He just seems to show too little emotion. Then they come out and play with no emotion in the first of the game and it set the tone for the whole day. They couldn't "take it to" the Steelers, just like Porter said.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
The Colts were outcoached and outplayed!
The Colts were prepared for the Steelers run attack and Pittsburg flipped the script. They came out throwing the ball against the cover 2 zone of the colts and got major yards out of it. Once the passing was established the Steelers gradually and increasingly went to the running attack. On defense the Steelers did exactly what you should do to a high precision offense...Smash it in the mouth. Blitzing Payton threw off the timing, Big time.

Tony Dungy isn't the focal point of blame here and shouldn't be. How many folks can come back and have the same intense mindset after losing a child?? With that said, the coaching staff along with management get the blame because the rested their players for over a month before the game. MAJOR LAZY LAG TIME HERE! This is a playoff game not a regular season game. There is no way you can be off for over a month, no NFL full game speed action, flip a switch, and then go to playoff intensity! Seattle and Denver had to shake off some rust at the beginning of their games and they were only off one week! Understandable that Indy wanted to rest and keep key players from getting hurt, but you gotta keep em active too.

Lastly, if Payton is gonna be the offensive co-ordinator on the field, then you shoulder a good part of the blame too. If your "protection" isn't up to speed, then go over to the coaches and tell them to play someone that is gonna block for Him.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Mack Brown never had the best team and the NBA just flat out sucks anyway.

I don't think Dungy has had the best team. Indy got all the hype, started out on a roll and got home field, but I never saw them as the best team. Especially after watching their last 3 regular season games. The Colts celebrated way too much when they beat Arizona in the final game. A game that was really close and they almost lost. It was a talented team and one of the best, but not clearly the best.

Tampa was never the best team either. They just did not have a dependable offense and as good as the defense was, I don't think they were a dominant control the game defense. The type of defense that has won Superbowls in the past such as Doomsday, the Steel Curtain, the Bears and the Ravens for one season.

Of course, not having the best team gives the head coach more of a chance to prove they are great. Make the game plans and adjustments. I think Dungy is a good coach, but unless he does win it all, he won't be a great coach. Not that winning it all says that much. I would take Dungy over Brian Billick. That guy just got lucky one year. The defense played unbelievably well and the rest of the league was down. That was not a good Giants team that made it to the Superbowl. If Dungy took over the Cowboys instead of Switzer, he may have 2 Superbowls.

I think it is right to think this was his best shot. It may not get easier to win it than this season. That is unless he makes some changes to his approach or just lands a lot more talent. It will probably depend more on the former than the latter.