During these team doldrums, consider fanboy media (and your frustrations) before the Internet

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I was practicing some dance moves when I thought to catch up on me Cowboys news.
So smug and assured am I, tha, with a click of the tablet, lappy or grandpa "computer" we have a world of Cowboys news, speculation, news on trades, injuries. Every team's roster available to us. Stats. Tickets. Schedules...

It wasn't always this easy, ruffians and starry-eyed fans.:angry:

When I was in Cali, I remember going to me postal box for Our L... newsletter and Cowboys Weakly. ...And hope the Calif. media would toss me a morsel of Cowboys news.

Me hearties, what were your media frustrations before the Internet?
How, if outside the Metroplex, did you keep informed?

Imagine! Looking up Reggie Swinton on a whim. :cool:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was practicing some dance moves when I thought to catch up on me Cowboys news.
So smug and assured am I, tha, with a click of the tablet, lappy or grandpa "computer" we have a world of Cowboys news, speculation, news on trades, injuries. Every team's roster available to us. Stats. Tickets. Schedules...

When I was in Cali, I remember going to me postal box for Our L... newsletter and Cowboys Weakly. ...And hope the Calif. media would toss me a morsel of Cowboys news.

Easy...radio and tabloids. You could find out you just couldn;t be a bully about it. Unless you went to the games. Even the bars only showed what you could already see.

Then. the late 80's happened. Satellite TV. OH boy Heeeerrre weee go.

Big_D

Reaction score
I have 10 years of Cowboy weekly’s in their collection cases between 90 & 2000. That was definitely the highlight besides whatever tidbit you would find in the newspapers back in the day.

bandfan

Reaction score
Wish I had all the money back I spent on an unnamed newspaper in the 70's and 80's..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have 10 years of Cowboy weekly’s in their collection cases between 90 & 2000. That was definitely the highlight besides whatever tidbit you would find in the newspapers back in the day.
I have all those as well, actually from 1989. Was living in South Florida. So signed up for the DCW, and my first issue was when Jerry bought the team. I finally cancelled in 2000, as I moved to the DFW area in 1998.

I also have copies of the DMN and FWST after the won SB 27. My father in law at the time lived in Arlington. So he saved me copies for next time we went to visit him.

All packed away in a rubbermaid container.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was able to get some decent info on Dallas. Through ESPN of course. DCW paper. And CNN had a sports show back then as well.
Of course I bought the preview magazines, or a few of them. The rest I read at the magazine counter, while wife was grocery shopping.

The Palm Beach Post had a fantastic sports section. Pretty much a blurb about every team, even in he off season. And they had great daily cover of all the draft prospects leading up to the draft. As well on game day great previews to the game. And on Monday, great coverage and boxscore of all the games.
Same for USA Today back then. Had some info, as well as all teams transactions.
Also went to the library and looked at The Sporting News weekly paper.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I subscribed to Cowboys Weekly as well and hung up pictures of the Cheerleaders in my locker in the barracks. It became a popular place.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Easy...radio and tabloids. You could find out you just couldn;t be a bully about it. Unless you went to the games. Even the bars only showed what you could already see.

Then. the late 80's happened. Satellite TV. OH boy Heeeerrre weee go.
It must’ve been Eagles related if it was in the tabloids, :laugh:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It must’ve been Eagles related if it was in the tabloids, :laugh:
Lol...i wouldnt know.

back then all we had was things like preseason predictions and SI stuff....which sat right next to national enquirer and such....not even espn. Even when it came out not many had full cable.
Kinda fun waiting for the full color rags to come out every late summer. That was it...all we had. And if yer lucky a good big city newspaper sports section. Good times.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Lol...i wouldnt know.

back then all we had was things like preseason predictions and SI stuff....which sat right next to national enquirer and such....not even espn. Even when it came out not many had full cable.
Kinda fun waiting for the full color rags to come out every late summer. That was it...all we had. And if yer lucky a good big city newspaper sports section. Good times.
In the 70’s and deployed, all we had was the Cowboys Weekly. No internet back then.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Post a link to your dance moves! Do we need to make it rain with bills or pennies! Lol

rags747

Reaction score
I subscribed to the Cowboys Weekly plus my dad had his business in Manhattan so he would pick me up the Dallas newspapers As they were readily available at the larger newsstands.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Was able to get some decent info on Dallas. Through ESPN of course. DCW paper. And CNN had a sports show back then as well.
Of course I bought the preview magazines, or a few of them. The rest I read at the magazine counter, while wife was grocery shopping.

The Palm Beach Post had a fantastic sports section. Pretty much a blurb about every team, even in he off season. And they had great daily cover of all the draft prospects leading up to the draft. As well on game day great previews to the game. And on Monday, great coverage and boxscore of all the games.
Same for USA Today back then. Had some info, as well as all teams transactions.
Also went to the library and looked at The Sporting News weekly paper.
The real pain and frustration came for fans outside of Texas. They, like me, had to fight for every news item, every personnel move etc. Those are real fans.