DVD-R or TIVO? Suggestions

Intrepid

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys have suggestions as to what the pros cons of getting a DVD-R vs. TIVO. I'm hoping to record Cowboys games and be able to take them and watch them elsewhere, such as with my laptop. Does that make the DVD-R a better choice? Also, can a DVD-R and a regular DVD (for a home theater system coexist)? Any brands/models you recommend would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Intrepid;1243194 said:
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys have suggestions as to what the pros cons of getting a DVD-R vs. TIVO. I'm hoping to record Cowboys games and be able to take them and watch them elsewhere, such as with my laptop. Does that make the DVD-R a better choice? Also, can a DVD-R and a regular DVD (for a home theater system coexist)? Any brands/models you recommend would be appreciated as well.

The prices of all the technology have come down so much, I'd get both if I were you. I think there's even a TIVO unit that has a built-in DVD-R.

I just bought a High Def DirecTV DVR that was only $299, and I just saw DVD-R at Costco last night that were under $200. Get them both and use them together. If you're really budget-minded, I think you can get a non-HD TIVO unit for under $100 (some are even free with TIVO service subscription I think).

For ease-of-use and flexability, you can't beat the DVRs (TIVO or other brands)... and then you use the DVD burner to archive the best of the best for the long-haul, and also to preserve room on your DVR.

But if you're only going to get one, I guess I'd go with the DVR.

TEK2000

Reaction score
I have a Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD Recorder that record all the Cowboys games on.

I also have a DVR from Time Warner.

I record the games using the DVR while I watch the game. Then, I go back later and record it onto DVD using the DVD Recorder.

It takes 2 DVD's to fit 1 game... 1 DVD per half. If you try to fit it onto 1 DVD you'll end up with pretty poor video quality. (I figured that out pretty quick)

If you're wanting to watch the games anywhere except your DVR/TIVO, you need to have the DVD recorder to put them on DVD so you can watch them anywhere.

And yes, the DVD Recorder and regular DVD player could co-exist. Although I'm not sure why you'd want to have 2 of them unless you're existing DVD player is some kind of high end unit.

Also, with my Panasonic, it will not play DVD's that I burn on my computer... that's the one annoying thing about it for me. I've seen several posts on various forums where other people are unable to do so as well with the model I have.

RedLine

Reaction score
TEK2000;1243549 said:
If you're wanting to watch the games anywhere except your DVR/TIVO, you need to have the DVD recorder to put them on DVD so you can watch them anywhere.

I have Verizon FiOS as my cable provider. I have one DVR cable box and two other standard cable boxes. I can record two shows at a time and watch them on any of the cable boxes.

I have Tivo connected to one of the standard cable boxes also. Tivo offers more recording options (wish list, Tivo suggestions, etc) but it is a little funky how it connects up and controls the cable box.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Intrepid;1243194 said:
Hello,

I typically tape the Cowboys games 2 different ways:

1) I have a Sony RDR-HX715 I use as the main recorder to record all my Cowboys games. It has a 160 GB internal hard drive and can record at a whopping 12MB/S. Commercial DVDs typically record up to 9 MB/S. I can fit about an hour of video on the best quality setting which is stunning quality. In a given week, I can have about 10 DVDs recorded with the COwboys Huddle, Special Edition, Cowboys Gameday, Postgame show, etc. Once Blu-Ray DVD is readily available, all these discs can be easily transferred to fit onto one Blu-Ray disc.

2) I use a stand alone TiVo in another room as a backup to record the games just in case something goes wrong with the Sony. Aside from a power outage during the Saints game (even with backup batteries), I've been able to delete the TiVo recording every time since the Sony has yet to fail. Another reason I use the TiVo as a backup is because even in the "best quality" TiVo setting, its recording quality is inferior to the Sony. TiVo doesnt record in a true DVD 720x480 ratio. It's 544x480. The TiVo has to recompile UP to DVD standard while the Sony decompiles DOWN for great quality. Remember: garbage in = garbage out.

Jeff

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
TEK2000;1243549 said:
...And yes, the DVD Recorder and regular DVD player could co-exist. Although I'm not sure why you'd want to have 2 of them unless you're existing DVD player is some kind of high end unit.....

There could be a scenario where in order to save the laser on the DVD Recorder, you use the DVD player ONLY to play DVDs and the recorder ONLY to record DVDs. I do myself. My Sony DVD recorder is ONLY used to record Cowboys games. Nothing else.

TEK2000

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1244098 said:
There could be a scenario where in order to save the laser on the DVD Recorder, you use the DVD player ONLY to play DVDs and the recorder ONLY to record DVDs. I do myself. My Sony DVD recorder is ONLY used to record Cowboys games. Nothing else.

Very good point!

Intrepid

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. I really appreciate the help.