Eagle Notes: Dawkins to play less than half of the snaps; Brown, Avant leave practice

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By REUBEN FRANK
phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA — Brian Dawkins, who expects to play Sunday for the first time in seven weeks, will be limited to only about 30 to 40 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps, defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said. Dawkins hasn't played since suffering a neck injury on Sept. 17.

“We're going to be smart with him, just like with Lito [Sheppard],” Johnson said. “It's a fast game, being in that playing shape, and I know he's going to be emotionally high, and he's going to be drained. So we'll be smart with it. I'd say, right now, 30 percent.

“I'm sure he'll want to play [more]. The last time [Dawkins was hurt], we played him too much. He had a little bit of a setback [with a foot injury in 2003]. So I think he knows that.”

Johnson said the Eagles will use some formations with both Dawkins and Quintin Mikell on the field.

“If I get 70 [percent], I get 70,” Mikell said. “If I get 50, I get 50. If I get 40, I get 40. It's fine. I'll just do what I do.”

Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens said he'd rather face the Eagles with Dawkins in the lineup than a team at less than full strength.

Dawkins is expected to play after missing five games with a neck stinger.

“He's one of their emotional leaders,” Owens said. “Obviously, he brings some energy when he's out there on the football field, and I'm sure he'll be fired up this week. I'm pretty sure he'll bring himself back in the lineup. If I'm going to play them, I want him there. I want them with their "A' game.”

Brown, Avant leave practice

The Eagles lost two wide receivers during practice Thursday.

Starter Reggie Brown left with about an hour left because of his lingering neck injury, and slot receiver Jason Avant exited with about 15 minutes left after suffering a groin injury. No word on their availability for practice today or Sunday's game.

Former Titans teammates Jon Runyan (fractured tailbone) and Jevon Kearse (knee swelling) both sat out practice. Everybody else worked.

Reuben Frank can be reached at rfrank@phillyBurbs.com.

November 2, 2007 7:44 AM

LINK

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I want to punish the Eagles. I mean punish them like the Pats did the Commanders.