Eagles DC on Cowboys

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Defensive Coordinator Jim Johnson
December 13, 2007 | Last Updated: 12/13/07 1:34 PM ET | Comments (0)

On whether the Cowboys have become even more efficient since the first game: "I know one thing, they were pretty efficient the first time we saw them against us. It was probably our worst defensive game, to tell you the truth. They've been steady. They've had some close games, but they're putting points on the board and moving the ball about every game you see. Even though they've had some close games, offensively they're right with the Patriots."

On Cowboys QB Tony Romo: "He's probably a guy who has much better vision this year than last year. If the first receiver's not there, he goes to the second. If the second's not there, he goes to the third. He's been very effective on check downs when people take away their main receiver. That's what I see; I see a guy who is getting rid of the ball. Not just throwing it away, but going to the second, third, and fourth receivers. He's doing a great job with that; probably as good as anybody in the league right now."

On whether Romo is the best quarterback he's faced in the division since he's been in the league: "It's been about nine years now, that's a tough one. He's as good, right now, he's playing at as high-performance as I've seen since I've been here. I can't think of anyone else in the division who has played like him."

On whether the Cowboys are still as effective offensively without Romo at quarterback: "(WR Terrell Owens) and (TE Jason) Witten (are) two of the premier players. He's doing a good job of getting the ball to the running backs and (WR Patrick) Crayton. There's no question, he's got some good weapons, but he's playing well. He's a steady quarterback."

On how Owens got so open so many times in the first game: "We weren't as good, as far as playing man coverage on him. I think we'll be better in that. We had some blown coverages, to tell you the truth. It came down to that, we gave up big plays. That's part of guys not being here for a while and not practicing, but we'll get that straightened out. That was the biggest thing."

On whether the cornerbacks are concerned about the number of yards given up in the passing game this season: "I'm concerned. They've got to have a short memory and I think they've got to still be making sure it doesn't bother them and still be aggressive. We need to make sure we're in great position, as far as man coverage or blitzes. They've got confidence and I want their confidence back, too."

On why the secondary has struggled: "I don't think I can pinpoint one thing; I think it's kind of a combination. Sometimes, it's guys working together and sometimes it's mishandling the coverage, that's all. I don't think it's one thing. I wish I could put it on one thing, but it's not."

On what makes Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett special: "It's hard to say, because he's been in the league a very short time. Even after going against him the first time, I know a little bit more about him. He is a typical guy who does a lot of changing of personnel, scripting plays, different plays every game you see. He's very innovative; he comes up with different things all the time. You have to be on your toes and make sure you can handle all of his formation adjustments. That's the biggest thing."

On whether they use Witten differently than other teams use their tight ends: "I don't think they use him any differently except for the fact that he's such a big target out there. He's a big strong tight end. You might have a linebacker on him and he'll muscle a linebacker. You might have a safety on him and he'll muscle a safety. He's just a big tight end. He doesn't get downfield as well as some other tight ends like (Giants TE Jeremy) Shockey, but he's such a physical guy on his short routes."

On Romo's ability to check down to the running backs the last time they played the Eagles: "That was the biggest thing he did a good job of, I thought, besides us having a couple of bad coverages. I thought he did a great job of getting the ball to the backs on the check down. We've got to take care of that."

On whether Witten is similar to former Cowboys TE Jay Novacek: "He's a little bit different. They're using him quite a bit, but Novacek was almost like a wide receiver playing tight end. This is a tight end playing tight end. He's such a physical guy. Novacek was never a physical tight end; he was more of a wide receiver playing tight end."

On whether he is pleased with his defense so far this season: "I've said this before, I wish there was some consistency. I'm still concerned (about that) every once in a while. We play and play and all of a sudden we give up a big run or pass. That's the biggest thing. Some of those are calls too. The other day, I called a blitz and maybe I wish I didn't call a blitz. It hurt us, so there are things I wish I had back too. Probably jus the consistency of the big plays."

On why the defense has struggled to get sacks late in the season over the past two years: "I really don't know. I don't have an answer for that. As long as we keep pressuring the quarterback, we might not get the sacks, whether it's blitzes or alignment. (DE) Trent (Cole) is doing a great job, as far as pressuring, and (DE Juqua Thomas). But, I really don't have an answer for that, I really don't."

On how he gauges LB Stewart Bradley's progress when he only plays on special teams: "It's hard to. All we know about Stewart is that we think he's going to be a fine prospect because he's doing a good job on special teams. You always like to see your linebackers playing well on special teams. He's a big guy, he can run, he's a strong guy, and he's got a future here with the Eagles. We'll see how it goes next year."

On when it is appropriate to start taking a look at the younger prospects who are currently backups: "Not yet."

On whether he imagined he would use S J.R. Reed so much on defense this year: "No, I couldn't. Like I said before, the guy has a great heart, to believe he's doing what he's doing after two years ago. I never thought he'd be able to walk right again. To play football the way he is, and he's contributing, he's got a big heart; he really does. He's fighting through some things that probably bother him, as far as that foot, but he plays fast and he's getting very productive."

On DTs Brodrick Bunkley and Mike Patterson: "I think they play well together. They kind of know each other now and have been given a lot of reps together; probably too many reps. I'd like to rotate a little more. They're both steady. They're both playing with injuries and they're banged up and bruised a little bit, but you can't get them off the field. They both have good character. We really need to rest them a little bit more and try to get (DT) Kimo (von Oelhoffen) a little bit more in the rotation this week."

On how von Oelhoffen has looked so far this year: "He's doing a good job and he's going to play a little more this week. He's doing a good job."

On why he's not ready to start taking a look at some of the younger players in the game: "Right now, we're going to play the best guys who are going to give us a chance to win the football game. There might be a time we say we want to look at them, but not right now."

On whether Owens and Patriots WR Randy Moss are different players: "It shouldn't be. That's the same type of character we're going against. We didn't do a good job against T.O. last time. I know our guys are up to it and we'll see how it goes."

On how LB Omar Gaither has handled playing in the middle: "I think he's been a very solid linebacker. I think he's been productive. I think he's handled this defense well, as far as two-minute situations, clutch situations. He's come up and handled things. He kind of knows what I want. Sometimes, I don't even have to signal defenses in. he kind of knows what I want. He's really doing some good things that way, and he's being very productive."

On whether he plans to be more physical with Owens: "Being physical, and they move him around quite a bit. We have to make sure we're in the right combination coverage, depending on where he is. This is one thing that Jason Garrett has done; he's moved T.O. around a lot. It's not just one wide receiver to the single side or the weak side or the strong side. He's moved them all over, he's moved them to the backfield. That's what you have to kind of pay attention to—where he is lined up."

On whether they use Owens in motion often: "Yes, that's a big thing they're doing right now."

On whether Gaither has done enough to establish himself as the middle linebacker: "I have a lot of confidence in him right now. I think he'll get better. I think he's a football player and he'll get better."

On whether CB Lito Sheppard's struggles have affected the team's defense: "I know Lito has struggled a little bit. The guy is a good football player. He's been injured. It hurts when you're injured and don't have training camp or the first part of the year to get ready. He's still kind of working his way back. I think he's healthy now and I expect a good game from him on Sunday."

On whether Gaither is the long-term solution at middle linebacker: "I didn't say that. That's not written in stone, I just think he'll be on the field. But, I'm happy with him at middle linebacker."

On where Bradley fits into the linebacking corps: "I think that's one thing we're going to find out in the next year a little bit. Do we want him as a strongside linebacker or a middle linebacker? He's kind of a backup at both right now. It's just one step away from an injury and all of a sudden he's right back up in there, so we'll see. I like him as a MIKE linebacker, but we'll just have to see. I'm not sure yet. I hope it's a nice problem we have."

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=14748

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
that was a pretty solid assessment by their DC

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
On whether the Cowboys are still as effective offensively without Romo at quarterback:

Say what?

He doesn't get downfield as well as some other tight ends like (Giants TE Jeremy) Shockey, but he's such a physical guy on his short routes."

Let's hope he tells his players that. Witten has 20 catches for 425 yards and six touchdowns on passes thrown more than 10 yards downfield. Shockey has nine for 191 yards and no TDs.

Woods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1832203 said:
Say what?

Let's hope he tells his players that. Witten has 20 catches for 425 yards and six touchdowns on passes thrown more than 10 yards downfield. Shockey has nine for 191 yards and no TDs.

Yhea, I was wondering what Johnson was talking about concerning Witten . . . . Witten has been very effective on downfield passes this year!

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Witten isn't a Tight End playing Tight End.

He's a Wide Receiver in a Tight's End's body.

superpunk

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1832203 said:
Say what?

That probably has alot to do with the guy getting him the ball, too. I think if you polled some DCs, and asked who they were more worried about from a speed perspective, they'd probably go with Shockey, and that's probably what Johnson was referencing. The equalizer is those hands, though. That over the shoulder catch Witten made in the first game against Philly, I don't think there's any way Shockey pulls that in, or is able to use his body to shield the defender.

Temo

Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure you guys know more about Witten than maybe the 2nd best defensive mind of this era.

Listen, with the Lions blanketing Owens deep all day last week, and leaving the whole field open, how many downfield passes did Romo have (passes of 15 or more yards)? Not many... one to Crayton and one to Hurd, I think... plus the TD to Witten. Witten is good at a lot of things, and you know what, yes HE DOES get downfield pretty good too... just not as well as Shockey. You guys have seen what Shockey can do down the field, that's the one (and only) area where I'd give Shockey the edge over Witten. He's just better in that regard.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
superpunk;1832324 said:
That probably has alot to do with the guy getting him the ball, too.

Witten did the same things when Testaverde and Bledsoe were getting him the ball. In 2004 and 2005, Witten had 31 catches for 676 yards and five touchdowns on passes thrown more than 10 yards downfield. Shockey had 24 for 603 and three touchdowns.

The fact is, Witten has deceiving speed and is very good at stretching the field, for a tight end. And Shockey, for all of his athletic ability, hasn't been as effective at it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how he plays us this time. Last time, it seemed like he didn't blitz as much as he normally does. I bet this time he does just the opposite and throws the kitchen sink at Romo.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Temo;1832373 said:
Yea, I'm sure you guys know more about Witten than maybe the 2nd best defensive mind of this era.

Apparently we do, if he thinks all Witten does is catch passes on short routes. All he has to do is watch the last time we played the Eagles -- Witten caught one pass thrown 20 yards downfield for a touchdown, caught another pass 24 yards downfield and took it for a 53-yard gain and had an incompletion thrown to him 21 yards downfield.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1832904 said:
Apparently we do, if he thinks all Witten does is catch passes on short routes. All he has to do is watch the last time we played the Eagles -- Witten caught one pass thrown 20 yards downfield for a touchdown, caught another pass 24 yards downfield and took it for a 53-yard gain and had an incompletion thrown to him 21 yards downfield.

I get told that too by posters here saying Wade knows more than I do. Then all the sudden Wade comes out and says the same damn thing. :rolleyes:

You just have to stop worrying about the nah sayers.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Temo;1832373 said:

whos number one?

yennor24

Reaction score
Temo;1832373 said:

Listen, with the Lions blanketing Owens deep all day last week, and leaving the whole field open, how many downfield passes did Romo have (passes of 15 or more yards)? Not many... one to Crayton and one to Hurd, I think... plus the TD to Witten. Witten is good at a lot of things, and you know what, yes HE DOES get downfield pretty good too... just not as well as Shockey. You guys have seen what Shockey can do down the field, that's the one (and only) area where I'd give Shockey the edge over Witten. He's just better in that regard.

You are exactly right...I love Witten, but he cant get down the field like Shockey or Gates....I will say he is better all around though....

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
the kid 05;1833059 said:
whos number one?

zimmerhead_t250.jpg

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Temo;1832373 said:
Witten is good at a lot of things, and you know what, yes HE DOES get downfield pretty good too... just not as well as Shockey. You guys have seen what Shockey can do down the field, that's the one (and only) area where I'd give Shockey the edge over Witten. He's just better in that regard.
Oh please. Witten's YPC is better than Shockey's by a full yard, even Cooley is better than Shockey with 11.3 YPC.

Also, this season, Witten has ten 20+ yard receptions, whereas Shockey has eight, again Cooley beats Shockey in that department as well with nine.

Stop making up crap to elevate shockey.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's not a bad argument Shockey is the better WR. I'm not sure he is but they are a little different. Witten is the more complete player IMO but some will think otherwise.

It's just a matter of opinion. I'd certainly listen to Johnson. He obviously knows football. But there is no black and white answer.

I do think the vast majority of people would say Witten is the better team player. That's a slam dunk for me.