Eagles fans: Jim Brown says "No Way!" to having TO on his team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7428501

NFL Hall of Famer Jim Brown was on the set of NFL Total Access along with guest host Patrick Kerney of the Atlanta Falcons to talk about what it takes to be a great player in professional football.

Patrick Kerney: You mention body weight and everything, especially at the combine, is put on the guy. His height, his speed and there's no real way to measure the intangibles, which I feel are as important if not more important in a player. Do you feel along those same lines?

Jim Brown: Well, gorillas are big, but they don't play football. You haven't had too many track stars that can play football. Bob Hayes was one of them, but no, it is the intangibles, particularly, that makes a football player. If you look at Zach Thomas down in Miami, he's a small guy, but he is an unbelievable player. If you look at Jason Taylor also down in Miami, he looks like a basketball player -- unbelievable player. You really can't tell. Naturally, if you have size, speed, quickness and the intangibles, it's going to be greatness. But I'll take a guy that's tenacious, who has great heart and less ability than I would. I'll give you a name, I'll be controversial -- I wouldn't want T.O. on my team. Terrell Owens' talent is unbelievable, but the oneness that he deals from would really destroy my concept of how to really go to war.

Kerney: He has big-play ability and the ability to change the face of the game. Do you think that would end up deteriorating a team over the length of a season?

Brown: If you want an example, just look at New England two out of the last three years. (Coach Bill) Belichick is a genius. He's my partner, he's my friend and they play as a team. Look at the Lakers; that is ridiculous. One of the most selfish players in sports I've ever seen, I won't even say his name, but if Magic Johnson would substitute for the great player on that team, they would've won hands down because Magic is one of the great team players that ever played. So is Larry Bird. You have to understand team and the intangibles, so like I say, T.O. would disrupt my team because he's got awesome skills; he's big, fast, he can catch the ball, he's got a great heart -- but it's all about T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.