Eagles go back to the Superbowl

Reaction score
Or so they say. I don't see it happening, but whichever way you slice it they have Philly going to the Superbowl, and in many cases winning it. If anything, I think Atlanta will bump off Philly is a Superbowl bid.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-06-23-preseason-bets_x.htm

By Skip Wood, USA TODAY
When it comes to preseason NFL magazines and their 2005 prognostications, it's appropriate to defer to the defending champions, Athlon and Street & Smith's, both of which correctly picked the New England Patriots to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles in last year's Super Bowl.
clear.gif
inside-mcnabb.jpg
clear.gif
Many publications favor the Eagles and Donovan McNabb for a return to the Super Bowl.
clear.gif
By Coke Whitworth, AP

This summer, however, the two publications disagree on the makeup of Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

Athlon has the Baltimore Ravens defeating the Philadelphia Eagles, and Street & Smith's counters with the Eagles beating the Indianapolis Colts. In fact, the Eagles are the pick of three of the five of the more notable preseason rags.

The Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly also see Philly breaking through against Indianapolis. The only believer in the two-time defending Super Bowl champions is Lindy's, which has the New England Patriots stopping the Atlanta Falcons.

Division winners?

Athlon: NFC — Eagles (East), Minnesota Vikings (North), Falcons (South), Seattle Seahawks (West); AFC — Patriots (East), Ravens (North), Colts (South), San Diego Chargers (West).

Lindy's: NFC — Eagles (East), Detroit Lions (North), Falcons (South), St. Louis Rams (West); AFC — Patriots (East), Pittsburgh Steelers (North), Colts (South), Denver Broncos (West).

Pro Football Weekly: NFC — Eagles (East), Vikings (North), Falcons (South), Seahawks (West); AFC — Patriots (East), Steelers (North), Colts (South), Chargers (West).

The Sporting News: NFC — Eagles (East), Lions (North), Carolina Panthers (South), Arizona Cardinals (West); AFC — Patriots (East), Cincinnati Bengals (North), Colts (South), Kansas City Chiefs (West).

Street & Smith's: NFC — Eagles (East), Vikings (North), Falcons (South), Seahawks (West); AFC — Patriots (East), Steelers (North), Colts (South), Broncos (West).

For the record, Lindy's Super prediction for last season was the Chiefs beating the Rams; Pro Football Weekly was the Colts beating the Eagles; The Sporting News was the Broncos beating the Seahawks.

Rookie class:

The NFL's ninth rookie symposium is Sunday to Wednesday in West Palm Beach, Fla. The gathering, mandatory for incoming players, covers a number of topics — personal finance, substance abuse, family issues, NFL security — germane to their NFL career. Hall of Fame cornerback Mike Haynes, NFL vice president of player and employee development, says the series "helps the rookies get off to a good start with regard to the new lifestyle they are about to enter."

Elsewhere:

Kurt Kittner's strong showing in NFL Europe, where he was MVP of the World Bowl, has paid at least a marginal dividend. He moved up to fourth on the Chicago Bears' depth chart at quarterback, behind starter Rex Grossman and backups Chad Hutchinson and rookie Kyle Orton. His one-step climb came at the expense of Craig Krenzel, released last week. ... Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice says he expects strong safety Corey Chavous and cornerback Brian Williams to report to training camp, even though neither attended a single one of the voluntary offseason workouts as they carped about their contracts. ... The San Diego Chargers fined guard Toniu Fonoti $9,300 for missing the first day of a three-day minicamp. ... The Washington Commanders signed cornerback Artrell Hawkins, who was cut by Carolina in March to save money under the salary cap. ... Tennessee Titans punter Craig Hentrich had emergency surgery to remove his appendix, which ruptured slightly, coach Jeff Fisher said. He will stay in the hospital for another day or so as doctors monitor him to ensure no infections develop. ... The Dallas Cowboys have worked right guard Larry Allen at right tackle and may continue to do so.

Contributing: Larry Weisman, Associated Press

if (((new String(navigator.type))==4)&&((new String(navigator.version)).indexOf("4.")!=-1)){ //setTimeout necessary for Netscape4 to render button window.setTimeout("MM_showHideLayers('rightsLinkNSlyr','','show');", 500); } else { eval(document.getElementById("rightsLinkButton").innerHTML = ' '); } function RightslinkPopUp(){ var url = "https://s100.copyright.com/AppDispatchServlet"; var location = url + "?publisherName=" + escape( "USATODAY" ) // required, hard-coded + "&publication=" + escape( "USATODAY" ) // required, hard-coded + "&title=" + escape( "Preseason prognostications " ) // required + "&publicationDate=" + escape( "06/23/2005") // required + "&author=" + escape( "By Skip Wood, USA TODAY" ) + "&contentID=" + escape( "http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-06-23-preseason-bets_x.htm" ) // required + "&orderBeanReset=true"; // required, hard-coded PopUp = window.open( location, "Rightslink", "toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=650,height=550"); }

Rezz

Mr. Blonde
Reaction score
I'd have to pick Philly as well...as much as I hate it. As far as Atlanta against Philly...Atlanta would have to play them in Atlanta to have a legit chance to win. They have no shot outdoors in Philly in the winter...

NicholasD

Reaction score
I don't buy Atlanta at all this year against a stronger NFC. I could realistically see the Panthers winning that division to be honest.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
No, they don't. The Eagles are very weak now, believe it or not. They will be ousted by the Lions or the Panthers.

PaEagleHater

Reaction score
The magazines don't determine the winners in the end. Eagle fans, there is always next year....

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Opinions are like a******s, everybodies got one.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
You have to realize, the talking heads never get these right. Each year, they simply pick the teams that were there last year. Everybody has a Patriots-Eagles rematch. Bet no one had Pittsburgh going 15-1 last year. Bet no one had the Panthers in the Superbowl the year before, or the Bucs the year before that, or the Ravens the year before that.

Of the eight NFL divisons last year, 4 of 8 had new division champions.

Bottom line is get used to hearing a lot of Eagles-Patriots predictions. The only thing that I'll predict right now is that whichever two teams play in the Superbowl this year, some renegade reporter will be picking a rematch the following year.

Hoov

Reaction score
NicholasD said:
I don't buy Atlanta at all this year against a stronger NFC. I could realistically see the Panthers winning that division to be honest.

It wont be Phillie and it wont be atlanta, someone else will come on this year

Hoov

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
You have to realize, the talking heads never get these right. Each year, they simply pick the teams that were there last year. Everybody has a Patriots-Eagles rematch. Bet no one had Pittsburgh going 15-1 last year. Bet no one had the Panthers in the Superbowl the year before, or the Bucs the year before that, or the Ravens the year before that.

Of the eight NFL divisons last year, 4 of 8 had new division champions.

Bottom line is get used to hearing a lot of Eagles-Patriots predictions. The only thing that I'll predict right now is that whichever two teams play in the Superbowl this year, some renegade reporter will be picking a rematch the following year.

Skaven, you are right 100%, no one wants to go out on a limb, these guys always pick the teams that were winners last year and say the obvious - until someone steps up the eagles are the team to beat.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Eagles are the team to beat. Problem is over the last 4 years they havent been beaten in the playoffs until at least the NFCCG.

Hopefully this season will be different.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Until proven different Philly is still the team to beat.......it hurt to say that :(

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
The DALLAS COWBOYS are going to surprise the NFL east and win the division and squeak into the Super Bowl. Parcells is determined......we are going to control the clock with out stable of running backs......and the defense will create more turn overs........and our special teams will be rock solid..........SURPRISE turnaround--bank on it! Our Dallas Cowboys will win the Super Bowl this year and shock the NFL world!