Eagles Motivated Evidently By Pre-2019 Losses To Cowboys, Propose Rules Changes

_sturt_

Reaction score
EDIT: Bad headline--meant to write "pre-2019 losses"... sorry... mods feel free to correct.

From Bleeding Green Nation (https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...ternative-overtime-format-philadelphia-review):

The Eagles have notably lost to the Dallas Cowboys in overtime twice since the 2016 season. They lost the coin toss on both occasions and never possessed the ball. If this new proposal was applied back in 2018, there would have been no toss and the Eagles would’ve had the option to receive the ball first since they scored more regulation touchdowns than Dallas did (three to two).

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...ules-changes-including-extra-officials-031020

- "Booth official" (aka, sky judge) plus a former referee designated as the "technical adviser" to the BO

- OT restored to a full 15 minutes instead of 10

- If one team has more TDs than the other in regulation, that team automatically "wins" the OT coin flip, eliminating the need to have one

- Instead of kicking off or trying an onside kick following a score, teams would have the option to run a 4th/15 from their own 25 yd line

- Making permanent the use of replay to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any extra point attempts

- When the defense declines a penalty it can elect to have the game clock start when the referee signals the ball is ready for play

- Modify the blindside block foul in some way that I'm really not yet certain whether it would become a stricter or more lenient rule, and I've read four different sources.

So, which ones do you feel might be really good or really bad?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PleasedEminentCow-size_restricted.gif

SSoup

Reaction score
Basing who gets the ball first in overtime on who scored the most touchdowns is dumb. Points are all equal at that point, that's why they've arrived at an overtime scenario, so why should it matter how they arrived at that tie score? In a 6-6 tie where one team put together two FG drives and the other team scored a TD but blew their extra point, is the TD scoring team really deserving of any claim to superiority there? That's stupid.

They should honestly just make it so that kickoffs keeps alternating, so whoever didn't get the 2nd half opening kickoff gets the overtime kickoff. So if a team defers for the strategic advantage of getting the 2nd half kickoff, now the advantage potentially swings back and bites them because the other team gets to open overtime with the ball. I prefer the strategy coming into play that way, so teams can make an impactful decision that they'll later on have to live with.

I also think, if they're gonna replace onside kicks with a 4th down "one shot to convert it" scenario, they should make it fewer yards than 15. I read that from 1992 through 2017, about 22% of onside kicks were recovered. Is the goal of changing the rule to get so that the conversions are back to being around that percentage? I honestly don't think 4th & 15 conversions will be nearly as successful as that 22% statistic, assuming the source I got it from is right. I'd bump it down to 4th & 10. Do that for a few seasons to track the results, and then decide if it needs to be shortened or lengthened. (I see virtually no scenario where it would be decided it needs to be lengthened if teams are having too many exciting comebacks. That would only be a positive, honestly.)

HungryLion

Reaction score
If the league is worried about the team getting the ball in OT winning by scoring a touchdown. And that’s a big IF

It would be much simpler to just give the kicking team a chance to match the receiving team, whether it’s a field goal or touchdown. Not just a field goal as it stands currently. I see no reason the nfl couldn’t allow the kicking team a chance to score a TD to keep it going and I don’t want to hear the “the game is too long” excuse because how often would this scenario really happen?

I am fine with the OT rules, as is, right now though.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
21 points = 21 points no matter how you get there. Philthy crying about anything and everything per usual. If they had a case like the Saints the past few years then I’d understand but NOPE.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The "who scored more TDs" idea is silly. Just change the rule that the other team gets a possession even if they give up a TD. They already do it with FGs.

I don't mind this one: When the defense declines a penalty it can elect to have the game clock start when the referee signals the ball is ready for play.

Games are long enough already and the offense shouldn't be able to possibly benefit from a clock stoppage when they've committed an infraction.

Kwyn

Reaction score
"Booth official" (aka, sky judge) plus a former referee designated as the "technical adviser" to the BO
  • Fine - whatever - I hate replay

• Fine - more football is good
- If one team has more TDs than the other in regulation, that team automatically "wins" the OT coin flip, eliminating the need to have one
  • Dumb. Who thought this was a good idea?
- Instead of kicking off or trying an onside kick following a score, teams would have the option to run a 4th/15 from their own 25 yd line
  • Don’t like. Tons of teams aren’t built around 15 yard plays deep in their own territory. Favors spread offense big QB offenses. Running backs just stay on the bench
- Making permanent the use of replay to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any extra point attempts
  • More replay - yay

- When the defense declines a penalty it can elect to have the game clock start when the referee signals the ball is ready for play
  • I’d have to understand this more. Defenses already dawdle around delaying substitutions and trying to manage the clock with “injuries”.
- Modify the blindside block foul in some way that I'm really not yet certain whether it would become a stricter or more lenient rule, and I've read four different sources.
  • Something needs to be done. Too many blindside block calls that just looked wrong

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If the league is worried about the team getting the ball in OT winning by scoring a touchdown. And that’s a big IF

It would be much simpler to just give the kicking team a chance to match the receiving team, whether it’s a field goal or touchdown. Not just a field goal as it stands currently. I see no reason the nfl couldn’t allow the kicking team a chance to score a TD to keep it going and I don’t want to hear the “the game is too long” excuse because how often would this scenario really happen?

I am fine with the OT rules, as is, right now though.
My opinion....if you want to win, don’t let the other team who is only getting 3 downs before punting or putting 3 on the board to drive for a TD. Why reward them with a chance to have an entire drive where they have 4 downs the whole time? If that were the case, it becomes more like college where you are at an advantage to have the ball 2nd.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Teams should get the opportunity to possess the ball and try to match the TD in overtime...but the team with the most TDS getting the ball first is a pretty stupid idea

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
EDIT: Bad headline--meant to write "pre-2019 losses"... sorry... mods feel free to correct.

From Bleeding Green Nation (https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...ternative-overtime-format-philadelphia-review):

The Eagles have notably lost to the Dallas Cowboys in overtime twice since the 2016 season. They lost the coin toss on both occasions and never possessed the ball. If this new proposal was applied back in 2018, there would have been no toss and the Eagles would’ve had the option to receive the ball first since they scored more regulation touchdowns than Dallas did (three to two).

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...ules-changes-including-extra-officials-031020

- "Booth official" (aka, sky judge) plus a former referee designated as the "technical adviser" to the BO

So, which ones do you feel might be really good or really bad?
All bad. Ughh