CFZ Eagles vs. Cowboys 2022: A Pass2Run Postgame Review

Pass2Run

Reaction score
As a diehard fan of the blue and silver, I came into this game optimistic.

Losing the way we lost, I leave even more optimistic.

Cooper Rush, in the Limelight of Sunday Night Football

The Cowboys rallied around Cooper Rush. And after each of his wins, the pressure continued piling on as he orchestrated the offense for America's Team. There's probably not another position as high-profile as being the Cowboys quarterback in sports. In fact, you could say it's Quarterback of the Cowboys, capital. Q.

Since his start, a debate around Cooper Rush emerged. Right or wrong, people questioned whether he should take the spot of Dak Prescott, the Cowboys named starter before he broke his thumb in an ugly opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

For all the great things about Rush, tonight exposed him for what he is, which is actually way much more than I'd ever hoped for.

Make no mistake, Cooper Rush is a backup quarterback. At least in my mind. But he's the kind of backup quarterback whose picture you could put in the dictionary under backup quarterback, and that would suffice.

While Cooper Rush earned his start against Philadelphia, his weaknesses displayed in this game helped to paint a clearer picture as to what Cooper Rush actually is.

And I'd say Cooper Rush is a damn good backup quarterback — maybe even be the best backup in the league. But a backup nonetheless. Cooper Rush limits where you can throw the ball with effectiveness, without turning it over, so your offense can never reach its potential with Cooper Rush. But Cooper Rush can bring out the potential of your offense, if that makes sense.

Dak's Leadership and Poise During the Recent Media Crap Storm

During the past few weeks, I've been impressed with how Dak has kept his head down and rehabbed through to the point where I think he likely could have played today. In fact, I think the Eagles were hoping he wouldn't play. And of course, we didn't.

Despite what the fans thought, I'm pretty sure the right call was to play Dak tonight despite the fact Rush had led us to a 4-1 record after losing the opener.

If they're honest with themselves, as a team, it was the defense that carried Rush through those wins more than anything. In a different offense, Cooper Rush might work better than Dak. But in the offense we currently run, with our current players, that extra arm strength of Dak really matters.

Cooper Rush Could be Dak's Biggest Ever Blessing

As a quarterback, all you can ask for is to have enough talent around you to be able to win. And Dak has the talent around him in 2022. I'm not sure we can say Romo definitely had enough talent around him to get it done, but I think we can say Dak at least has enough talent around him to get it done against a team like the Eagles. They just didn't get it done tonight.

Notice I didn't say Dak has the most talent. But I am saying he has enough.

It's up to him to prove he earns the salary.

Afterall, that's really why fans criticize him. He takes up a significant portion of the overall cap. Shouldn't he earn it?

Dak Should Take Note of Cooper Rush's Playbook

The thing I would like to see is Dak take a page from Rush's playbook and just drive the bus. When you need a big play, make one. But live to see another down.

Cooper Rush brough stability because he was predictable. You could count on him not to turn it over, and make some plays for you.

That is, until the Eagles dissected his weaknesses and apparently spent time game-planning around exploiting those weaknesses. Kudos to them. They came in this game with the right gameplan. And it worked. In the future, I would just like to see Dak take a page from Rush's approach, especially with this team.

Trust and Rely on those Rookie Tight Ends

You need to fully incorporate the rookie tight ends into the offense. The Cowboys seem to kind of want to involve Ferguson and Hendershot. But they don't do it until after their in a position to have to force a play to them.

Involve these guys naturally, scheme around both of them, and you will be less predictable.

Why Abandon Pre-Snap Motions?

The thing I've always thought that made Kellen Moore unique and successful was how he used pre snap motions to disguise the responsibilities of the defensive player until the last second. He seemed to get into a rhythm with it during our wins.

During this game, after the reverse on the first play, I didn't see any pre-snap motions, and the Cowboys were just running the same old plays we always ran in the Zempese, Turner, Garrett days. Then we got on a run for a bit, by running some play action off of those boring run plays, but we weren't mixing it up outside of that. And by this time, Moore's play calling exacerbated Quinn's subpar play calling.

Conclusion

I don't need a stat sheet to know we lost the Xs and Os battle on both sides of the ball.

I fully put this loss on the coaching staff.

McCarthy flat out missed a chance to contest the spot of the ball, which resulted in us punting rather than a first down for the offense.

HUGE MISTAKE on his part. And no excuse for that, and both of his coordinators were off tonight.

The refs did not help. Overall, I thought we looked flat as a team. But I think that it all came down to Dan Quinn getting outcoached in the Xs nd Os department in this particular game. He needs to realize that coordinators are studying him, and cover his bases on this by self-scouting. Those key, game-changing dump offs to the flats are totally preventable, and kind of inexcusable. I felt bad for Parsons, and the whole defense, really. Bad night for Quinn.....

On the other side of the ball, Kellen Moore also got outcoached. There's plenty he could have done without throwing the ball into traffic, or isolating, downsizing the field, for Rush, especially early on before it was necessary.

I can't say Rush made the best decision. But as an OC, you should already know that nerves are high. I'm not against taking a strike down the field early on, but those interceptions were ugly.

From the call to the throw, the Cowboy needed to clean this up. And there's nothing like a loss like this for a team to play like their pants are on fire during a season.

As much as I know we are all disgusted by the loss, I hope this game motivates our players and serves the team as a blessing in disguise. But they shouldn't be too hard on themselves. Their coaches failed them this game. It's up to the coaches to figure out why, and correct the issues moving forward.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What a bunch of bull. Dak has more talent around him right now than Romo did? Who??? Name them.

You Romo apologists are some of the worst. Hating on Dak while still making excuses for Romo.

This team is limited in the WR crew. The Oline is rebuilding and 2/3rds of it is super young and inexperienced. Plus, our TE group is direly rebuilding by having their starter injured and being forced to start 2 rookies. Arguably, 2/3rds of the Offense is young, inexperienced and rebuilt, along with an O-Coordinator who is still learning by being barely in his 4th year of not only being an O-Coordinator but also a coach of any kind. TELL ME WHEN EVER ROMO HAD AN OFFENSE THIS BAD???

:facepalm:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
What a bunch of bull. Dak has more talent around him right now than Romo did? Who??? Name them.

You Romo apologists are some of the worst. Hating on Dak while still making excuses for Romo.

This team is limited in the WR crew. The Oline is rebuilding and 2/3rds of it is super young and inexperienced. Plus, our TE group is direly rebuilding by having their starter injured and being forced to start 2 rookies. Arguably, 2/3rds of the Offense is young, inexperienced and rebuilt, along with an O-Coordinator who is still learning by being barely in his 4th year of not only being an O-Coordinator but also a coach of any kind. TELL ME WHEN EVER ROMO HAD AN OFFENSE THIS BAD???

:facepalm:

Can you answer me this? Is there another poster on this board on Dak's jock strap as hard as you, if not strictly for the reason you didn't like Romo (which pretty much tells me what I need to know about why you think what you think or say what you say).

I was actually giving Dak a compliment, saying that I think it's safe to say he's the starter over Cooper Rush.

He has plenty of talent around him to win it. A decent QB, a top 10 NFL QB would have won that game tonight. And I think Dak is a top 10, if not right at 10 in the NFL right now.

The weak link was Cooper Rush.

This was not the game to play Cooper Rush. I was kind of hoping it was a smokescreen. But the board usually has a pretty good pulse on who's playing and who's not. Turns out, they were right. Cooper Rush started tonight.

For the record, before you get your reactionary panties in a bunch, I thought they should have started Dak tonight. But that's just me.

And that has nothing to do with your petty Romo vs. Dak agenda garbage.

That said, I don't think Cooper Rush could have done a better job over this stretch. But it's time to give the reins back to Dak.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can you answer me this? Is there another poster on this board on Dak's jock strap as hard as you, if not strictly for the reason you didn't like Romo (which pretty much tells me what I need to know about why you think what you think or say what you say).

I was actually giving Dak a compliment, saying that I think it's safe to say he's the starter over Cooper Rush.

He has plenty of talent around him to win it. A decent QB, a top 10 NFL QB would have won that game tonight. And I think Dak is a top 10, if not right at 10 in the NFL right now.

The weak link was Cooper Rush.

This was not the game to play Cooper Rush. I was kind of hoping it was a smokescreen. But the board usually has a pretty good pulse on who's playing and who's not. Turns out, they were right. Cooper Rush started tonight.

For the record, before you get your reactionary panties in a bunch, I thought they should have started Dak tonight. But that's just me.

And that has nothing to do with your petty Romo vs. Dak agenda garbage.

That said, I don't think Cooper Rush could have done a better job over this stretch. But it's time to give the reins back to Dak.
No. Just sick and tired of you Romo guzzlers who keep lying about facts.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
No. Just sick and tired of you Romo guzzlers who keep lying about facts.

Facts?

Fact is Romo got robbed by the zebras. Fact is, Romo was a better quarterback. If that bothers you, oh well.

I'm saying they should give the reigns of this team back to Dak, and that he has enough talent around him to win. Especially when you account for how much of the cap his salary eats up. He's getting more bang for his buck than most teams who spend that much. it's up to him to rise to the occasion.

Let's see if Dak can elevate his game to the level of attraction you have to the fragrance of his jockstrap. If he does that, we're in business.

I'm not getting trolled any further on the Romo v. Dak nonsense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Facts?

Fact is Romo got robbed by the zebras. Fact is, Romo was a better quarterback. If that bothers you, oh well.

I'm saying they should give the reigns of this team back to Dak, and that he has enough talent around him to win. Especially when you account for how much of the cap his salary eats up. He's getting more bang for his buck than most teams who spend that much. it's up to him to rise to the occasion.

Let's see if Dak can elevate his game to the level of attraction you have to the fragrance of his jockstrap. If he does that, we're in business.

I'm not getting trolled any further on the Romo v. Dak nonsense.
You should have kept Romo out of your opening post, but you did it to twist the facts against Dak. I won't let you get away with it. Call it trolling or whatever you want. You still haven't named how Romo had a lesser team (Offense) around him than the Cowboys have right now.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
You should have kept Romo out of your opening post, but you did it to twist the facts against Dak. I won't let you get away with it. Call it trolling or whatever you want. You still haven't named how Romo had a lesser team (Offense) around him than the Cowboys have right now.

I know he edited his comment but he tried to say Romo didn't have the weapons Dak has. Romo had a HOF receiver (T.O) and a for sure ROH receiver (Dez) and a HOF tight end, Witten. :facepalm:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
good luck on that lol.

Well, I can hope. Thus far, McCarthy has done a fine job at identifying problems.

Tonight, he was part of it. He should be on top of those spot calls. That could have really cost them. They would have had a fresh set of downs. Instead, they punt it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I know he edited his comment but he tried to say Romo didn't have the weapons Dak has. Romo had a HOF receiver (T.O) and a for sure ROH receiver (Dez) and a HOF tight end, Witten. :facepalm:

He's not interested in what I'm really saying, though. His mind is made up. He's going to troll some Dak v. Romo "controversy." It's his schtick. He didn't like Romo. He rides Daks jock like a high school cheerleader. And he's trying to justify his historical position on Romo, and how Dak is the Cowboys' savior, just in case they win and the whole QB debates X vs. Y player, and all that.

Wasn't my point.

Kudos to you. You understood my point. I'm not trying to live in the past. I'm worried about this season, not some nostalgic circle jerk over what will always kind of be an apples to oranges comparison anyway. I actually like both QBs anyway, and I find these sorts of debates among fans to be counterproductive to the here and now.

Then again, it appears you did not understand the point. This post wasn't about Romo vs. Dak at all.....

I want this loss to sting for the players, though. I don't want them to walk away with their heads high, or get used to the feeling. That, and it's about Dak-thirty, according to my watch. Not that my thoughts matter much.

Or that anyone reads them...

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well, I can hope. Thus far, McCarthy has done a fine job at identifying problems.

Tonight, he was part of it. He should be on top of those spot calls. That could have really cost them. They would have had a fresh set of downs. Instead, they punt it.
mike made several mistakes tonight.
1 did not challenge that 1st down catch.
2 went for it on 4th early in game, on his side of 50?
3 used a bad play for going for it. and gave phil good position.
4 at end when they tried the 59 yd fg, I was saying no go for it! with time running out the right thing there is go for the 1st down and think get td. The fg does you no good.

and on top of that, bad game plan, and players were not properly motivated, and a lot of dumb penalty's again

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
As a diehard fan of the blue and silver, I came into this game optimistic.

Losing the way we lost, I leave even more optimistic.

Cooper Rush, in the Limelight of Sunday Night Football

The Cowboys rallied around Cooper Rush. And after each of his wins, the pressure continued piling on as he orchestrated the offense for America's Team. There's probably not another position as high-profile as being the Cowboys quarterback in sports. In fact, you could say it's Quarterback of the Cowboys, capital. Q.

Since his start, a debate around Cooper Rush emerged. Right or wrong, people questioned whether he should take the spot of Dak Prescott, the Cowboys named starter before he broke his thumb in an ugly opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

For all the great things about Rush, tonight exposed him for what he is, which is actually way much more than I'd ever hoped for.

Make no mistake, Cooper Rush is a backup quarterback. At least in my mind. But he's the kind of backup quarterback whose picture you could put in the dictionary under backup quarterback, and that would suffice.

While Cooper Rush earned his start against Philadelphia, his weaknesses displayed in this game helped to paint a clearer picture as to what Cooper Rush actually is.

And I'd say Cooper Rush is a damn good backup quarterback — maybe even be the best backup in the league. But a backup nonetheless. Cooper Rush limits where you can throw the ball with effectiveness, without turning it over, so your offense can never reach its potential with Cooper Rush. But Cooper Rush can bring out the potential of your offense, if that makes sense.

Dak's Leadership and Poise During the Recent Media Crap Storm

During the past few weeks, I've been impressed with how Dak has kept his head down and rehabbed through to the point where I think he likely could have played today. In fact, I think the Eagles were hoping he wouldn't play. And of course, we didn't.

Despite what the fans thought, I'm pretty sure the right call was to play Dak tonight despite the fact Rush had led us to a 4-1 record after losing the opener.

If they're honest with themselves, as a team, it was the defense that carried Rush through those wins more than anything. In a different offense, Cooper Rush might work better than Dak. But in the offense we currently run, with our current players, that extra arm strength of Dak really matters.

Cooper Rush Could be Dak's Biggest Ever Blessing

As a quarterback, all you can ask for is to have enough talent around you to be able to win. And Dak has the talent around him in 2022. I'm not sure we can say Romo definitely had enough talent around him to get it done, but I think we can say Dak at least has enough talent around him to get it done against a team like the Eagles. They just didn't get it done tonight.

Notice I didn't say Dak has the most talent. But I am saying he has enough.

It's up to him to prove he earns the salary.

Afterall, that's really why fans criticize him. He takes up a significant portion of the overall cap. Shouldn't he earn it?

Dak Should Take Note of Cooper Rush's Playbook

The thing I would like to see is Dak take a page from Rush's playbook and just drive the bus. When you need a big play, make one. But live to see another down.

Cooper Rush brough stability because he was predictable. You could count on him not to turn it over, and make some plays for you.

That is, until the Eagles dissected his weaknesses and apparently spent time game-planning around exploiting those weaknesses. Kudos to them. They came in this game with the right gameplan. And it worked. In the future, I would just like to see Dak take a page from Rush's approach, especially with this team.

Trust and Rely on those Rookie Tight Ends

You need to fully incorporate the rookie tight ends into the offense. The Cowboys seem to kind of want to involve Ferguson and Hendershot. But they don't do it until after their in a position to have to force a play to them.

Involve these guys naturally, scheme around both of them, and you will be less predictable.

The thing I've always thought that made Kellen Moore unique and successful was how he used pre snap motions to disguise the responsibilities of the defensive player until the last second. He seemed to get into a rhythm with it during our wins.

During this game, after the reverse on the first play, I didn't see any pre-snap motions, and the Cowboys were just running the same old plays we always ran in the Zempese, Turner, Garrett days. Then we got on a run for a bit, by running some play action off of those boring run plays, but we weren't mixing it up outside of that. And by this time, Moore's play calling exacerbated Quinn's subpar play calling.

Conclusion

I don't need a stat sheet to know we lost the Xs and Os battle on both sides of the ball.

I fully put this loss on the coaching staff.

McCarthy flat out missed a chance to contest the spot of the ball, which resulted in us punting rather than a first down for the offense.

HUGE MISTAKE on his part. And no excuse for that, and both of his coordinators were off tonight.

The refs did not help. Overall, I thought we looked flat as a team. But I think that it all came down to Dan Quinn getting outcoached in the Xs nd Os department in this particular game. He needs to realize that coordinators are studying him, and cover his bases on this by self-scouting. Those key, game-changing dump offs to the flats are totally preventable, and kind of inexcusable. I felt bad for Parsons, and the whole defense, really. Bad night for Quinn.....

On the other side of the ball, Kellen Moore also got outcoached. There's plenty he could have done without throwing the ball into traffic, or isolating, downsizing the field, for Rush, especially early on before it was necessary.

I can't say Rush made the best decision. But as an OC, you should already know that nerves are high. I'm not against taking a strike down the field early on, but those interceptions were ugly.

From the call to the throw, the Cowboy needed to clean this up. And there's nothing like a loss like this for a team to play like their pants are on fire during a season.

As much as I know we are all disgusted by the loss, I hope this game motivates our players and serves the team as a blessing in disguise. But they shouldn't be too hard on themselves. Their coaches failed them this game. It's up to the coaches to figure out why, and correct the issues moving forward.
Romo had world class receivers. HOF Terrell Owens, future HOF Jason Witten, Terry Glenn, Dez Bryant, a great offensive line, a HOF coach in Parcells', what more could you ask?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Romo had world class receivers. HOF Terrell Owens, future HOF Jason Witten, Terry Glenn, Dez Bryant, a great offensive line, a HOF coach in Parcells', what more could you ask?

A top 3 defense.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
A top 3 defense.
Rams had the 15th best defense last year.
Tampa had 8th best defense previous year.
Kansas City Chiefs had the 7th best defense prior to that.
New England 7th best defense year prior.
Denver 23rd defense prior.

That last 5 Super Bowl winners didn't have a top 5 defense, let alone a top 3.

whynot

Reaction score

A thicker clavicle.

Brooksey

Reaction score

He never ever had a great offensive line and he always had a poor defense.

lukin2006

Reaction score
It was just one game. Team was unprepared and decided to skip playing in the 1st half and showed up to play the 3rd quarter…and rested in the 4th to get for the Lions next week.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

This. This. This.

And you can continue putting doubt in the mind of the defense after the snap with options for the QB based on read. We've even got a big running QB to be part of that.

Watching the Eagles, they called the game I wish Moore would. Gotta give it to them for getting 2 on 1 isolation on Parsons again and again.