Early games thread

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Deadly Dan Bailey making up for past sins.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
bailey 2 for 4 on the day kicking field goals so far. Make that 3 of 5. Last kick was big.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Bailey is just clutch. Just needs to get back in a groove again, missing multiple games last year just knocked him out of it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
1. Reading has to do with whether the route is going to be available. That's what a quarterback does. He scans the field for coverage and possible open windows. If he sees, based on coverage, that a window will be open, he throws the ball. If he doesn't he checks down to another receiver. We don't KNOW if he was going to be open. As the play showed, there was a safety in the vicinity. We can assume, but we don't know.
2. Actually, I asked a question. Go back and re-read. A question is inherently NOT an absolute statement. Maybe you need to learn English, language and punctuation marks. ;)
3. The original question was why is Baker Mayfield throwing it on 4th and 5. You said that was the read. My response included that that throw is a low percentage throw. The overthrow was merely a PART of my argument, which is why it had 3 components. You chose to focus on the throw, but that wasn't the ONLY part of my argument.
So are you going to address the high percentage vs. low percentage aspect of my argument? Or are you going to conveniently ignore it.
My argument is very much logical and complete at that.
Your turn. :)

1. You just went against your argument. Nothing you said has anything to do with him sailing the pass. Nothing. You are talking out of your butt. And yes, we do know he would be open. The defender was moving toward the LOS, opposite from the receiver. Easily wide open.

2. Keep up. You made a statement of absolutes that deeper passes are more difficult. That is not always true. And I did not make a statement. If YOU would look, my response to you was in the form of a question. I never stated it was the right read, but suggested that it would maybe be a possible reason to make that throw.

3. Your low% vs high% argument is not relevant. Not all deep throws are the same, not all short throws are the same. That's why you don't talk in absolutes.

The read and throw are separate. You make the read to determine where the throw. Once you do that, you need to make a good throw. You need to do the latter no matter what you do with the first part. You expect QBs to make their decisions based on himd sight after the play.

Do you even know if anyone else would have been open?

Again, not a single element of your comment is well reasoned. You have deflected and twisted both your comments and mine. Just stop. I will no longer respond as you have proven too many times that you just like to argue and keep twisting and changing the arguments.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
1. You just went against your argument. Nothing you said has anything to do with him sailing the pass. Nothing. You are talking out of your butt. And yes, we do know he would be open. The defender was moving toward the LOS, opposite from the receiver. Easily wide open.

2. Keep up. You made a statement of absolutes that deeper passes are more difficult. That is not always true. And I did not make a statement. If YOU would look, my response to you was in the form of a question. I never stated it was the right read, but suggested that it would maybe be a possible reason to make that throw.

3. Your low% vs high% argument is not relevant. Not all deep throws are the same, not all short throws are the same. That's why you don't talk in absolutes.

The read and throw are separate. You make the read to determine where the throw. Once you do that, you need to make a good throw. You need to do the latter no matter what you do with the first part. You expect QBs to make their decisions based on himd sight after the play.

Do you even know if anyone else would have been open?

Again, not a single element of your comment is well reasoned. You have deflected and twisted both your comments and mine. Just stop. I will no longer respond as you have proven too many times that you just like to argue and keep twisting and changing the arguments.

I'm talking about my butt? :laugh:
Let's review how we got here:

My first post:
Tyke1doe said:
"Why does Baker Mayfield throw a long pass on 4th and 5?
Notice the statement in the form of a question. A question does not imply absolutes but seeks an answer. Absolute statements seek no clarification. At least that's how questions are used in basic language. :)

Second, notice my response to your point about it was the correct read.
Tyke1doe said:
First, he threw it out of bounds. Way out of bounds. So it wasn't a good throw.
Second, you play conservative and get the first down. Long passes are harder to complete.
Third, it wasn't the right read because Landry clearly wasn't open.
My question stands.

Notice my three-pronged argument. Notice I raised the question about high percentage and low percentage plays because it was at the heart of my observation and my initial question. It very much plays into this issue.

Ignoring my point doesn't make it go away. Disappearing from the conversation will, though. :)

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'm talking about my butt? :laugh:
Let's review how we got here:

My first post:

Notice the statement in the form of a question. A question does not imply absolutes but seeks an answer. Absolute statements seek no clarification. At least that's how questions are used in basic language. :)
Notice how this isn't what I said was an absolute. A basic ability to read would reveal this.

Second, notice my response to your point about it was the correct read.
Notice this is where you make a statement that is an absolute

Notice my three-pronged argument. Notice I raised the question about high percentage and low percentage plays because it was at the heart of my observation and my initial question. It very much plays into this issue.

Ignoring my point doesn't make it go away. Disappearing from the conversation will, though. :)
Notice you don't know how to read and your "3 pronged argument" was just idiotic.

Also notice how you repeatedly twist things?
How you repeatedly try to make statements reference statements they weren't about?
Notice how you were flat out said I said something I didn't and when called on it try and pretend it never happened?

I know I said I wasn't going to respond again, but this is so dumb. You proved my points.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Notice how this isn't what I said was an absolute. A basic ability to read would reveal this.
You're babbling all over the place. It would be easy to miss. ;)

Notice this is where you make a statement that is an absolute
Now you're not making sense. :huh:
You're just quoting my response to you. If I made an absolute statement, show me the statement.

Notice you don't know how to read and your "3 pronged argument" was just idiotic.
Well, you would say that if you simply wanted to ignore it. But those who understand how language is used and how multiple points make up a complete argument wouldn't.

Also notice how you repeatedly twist things?
How you repeatedly try to make statements reference statements they weren't about?
Notice how you were flat out said I said something I didn't and when called on it try and pretend it never happened?
Not the old, you're twisting my words argument.

I know I said I wasn't going to respond again, but this is so dumb. You proved my points.
Posters always talk about how dumb other poster's rebuttals and arguments are. Like that proves anything.
Of course, we know you're a man of your word, returning to engage in childish, "Your post is dumb, it's illogical, it's stupid" rants.
It's par for the course around here. It really says nothing other than someone's feelings got hurt because his logic was challenged and so he reaches into his bag of insults to find the first thing that comes to mind.
At least, if you're going to insult me, be original. :laugh: