CFZ Early look at the NFC East-gap is growing smaller

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cowboys dominated the division last yr, sweeping all 6 games. However, the talent gap has grown much closer after this offseason:

-Cowboys lost Cooper, Collins and Gregory. They plan to replace all three with unproven, young talent. Whenever you go to the youth movement, it takes time to develop players.

-Eagles perhaps have the best roster in the division. Added an impact #1 WR, two impact defensive rookies and a few defensive starters via fa. Became more of a run first team, can Hurts beat teams through the air? Teams are going to force Hurts to beat them with his arm, not his legs.

-Washington is getting their stud pass rusher back in Chase Young. Defense took a step back, but they still have one the best defensive lines in the league. Wentz played with one of the best OL's in football with a great running game, now he comes to Washington with less talent, this could potentially be a recipe for disaster.

-Giants have two legitimate edge rushers now, although unproven. Have 2 top 5 picks at Tackle, but OL remains a questionmark. Daniel Jones still remains a turnover machine and durability concerns. This is a team in transition, they are in the midst of a rebuild.

Cowboys are favorite to win the division for the 2nd straight yr, which hasn't happened in years. Typicially, after an successful season, the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs the following yr. This has to change, still have the best QB in the division and by a far margin. Eagles represent more of a challenge, but still could be a franchise QB away. Think both Washington and the Giants will struggle again this season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Eagles 2 rookies are impact players right away, but our youthful players need time to develop. :huh:
Therefore the eagles roster is better than ours? NO WAY. We dominated them in both games last year, and the rosters are really about the same but yet they closed the gap. NO WAY.
They do not have the best roster.

Sydla

Reaction score
So the Eagles 2 rookies are impact players right away, but our youthful players need time to develop. :huh:
Therefore the eagles roster is better than ours? NO WAY. We dominated them in both games last year, and the rosters are really about the same but yet they closed the gap. NO WAY.

Throw out the rookies.

They added much more in FA/trades than we did, while we lost a few key players/starters.

Anyone who doesn't think the gap shrunk is being foolish. For them, it comes down to Hurts. If he is average again, it obviously caps their season. But if he improves they have a decent enough chance to unseat us as divisional champ. They have an easier schedule than our easy one and their first 6-8 games are a total joke. They could get off to a really hot start and then ride the momentum.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anything I say the Commodes progressed more than the Eagles, because, and believe it or nor, as of now, Wentz is better than Hurts.
Young will be back, but will he be the same, or better? He really was not having a huge impact last season in his 2nd year. But he still needs to be accounted for.

NYG, they have too many issues and holes to fill, then they have Jones at QB. Enough said.

Cowboys are favorites to win the division. And they are the current NFCE champs, so until they are knocked off, they are the favorites, since no team in the division really improved significantly.
Actually did any team in the NFC improve significantly?

If healthy, which seems we rarely are, but that can be said for many teams. Dallas should be competing again for HFA as last year even with the injuries.
GB could be favorites to take HFA again depending how AR's WR's step up since he pretty much has a new group there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
On paper, they have a better roster, especially in the trenches.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PHL is channeling SF with what they did with their QB, run game and defense.

WAS will be interesting to see if Wentz can resurrect himself and their D can come back into form.

NY has a problem with their QB. He can't stay healthy long enough for them to find out he's not the one.

The NFCE isn't any more of a story than the NFC. It's all about those QB's in the AFC now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Throw out the rookies.

They added much more in FA/trades than we did, while we lost a few key players/starters.

Anyone who doesn't think the gap shrunk is being foolish. For them, it comes down to Hurts. If he is average again, it obviously caps their season. But if he improves they have a decent enough chance to unseat us as divisional champ. They have an easier schedule than our easy one and their first 6-8 games are a total joke. They could get off to a really hot start and then ride the momentum.

Steele replaces Collins, that has been pretty even trade off the past 2 years, given Collins lack of availability.
Smith replaces Williams, that can't be any worse.
Williams, Fowler, Armstrong easily replace Gregory, and can get the same production if not better.

So the only question is, does Lamb step up in the #1 WR role, and what impact does Gallup have by missing, how ever many games he misses. So does Tolbert and Washington and Brown step up as well to fill the void of losing Cooper and Wilson. It won't be any worse, or that much of a difference, given how little Cooper was effective last year.

I am not saying the gap did not shrink, I said, their roster is not better than ours. We did fine in FA by keeping our own on defense, and not over paying. Just becasue Eagles signed bigger names does not mean the are better than us. They do this every year, sign big names, and fans on here freak out.
Agree, a lot depends on Hurts development. His 2nd full year as a starter. They could take a big leap this year, but as we all say here all the time....show me on the field....it should apply to them as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If anything I say the Commodes progressed more than the Eagles, because, and believe it or nor, as of now, Wentz is better than Hurts.
Young will be back, but will he be the same, or better? He really was not having a huge impact last season in his 2nd year. But he still needs to be accounted for.

NYG, they have too many issues and holes to fill, then they have Jones at QB. Enough said.

Cowboys are favorites to win the division. And they are the current NFCE champs, so until they are knocked off, they are the favorites, since no team in the division really improved significantly.
Actually did any team in the NFC improve significantly?

If healthy, which seems we rarely are, but that can be said for many teams. Dallas should be competing again for HFA as last year even with the injuries.
GB could be favorites to take HFA again depending how AR's WR's step up since he pretty much has a new group there.
Maybe the Wentz of 5 year ago, not today's version. Two teams already of given up on him and both were more talented then Washington.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PHL is channeling SF with what they did with their QB, run game and defense.

WAS will be interesting to see if Wentz can resurrect himself and their D can come back into form.

NY has a problem with their QB. He can't stay healthy long enough for them to find out he's not the one.

The NFCE isn't any more of a story than the NFC. It's all about those QB's in the AFC now.

AFC has some very good to great QB's. That will be interesting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On paper, they have a better roster, especially in the trenches.
They were better in the trenches than the Cowboys last season.

I don't know if posters really account for the difference one player made in that front 7. And also just where would this team would have been if they'd taken Horn or Surtain like they planned?

I think PHL has the least amount of unknown of the 4 teams. We know what they were and what they want to be and they did not take a step back from last season, imo. Whether Dean can go for the entire season will dictate a lot about their chances because if he can play, he's a buzz saw on the field. He could be their Parsons.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AFC has some very good to great QB's. That will be interesting.
It's going to be a shooting gallery and the AFCW is stacked. And depending on the Jets trigger man, the East could be as formidable.

This reminds me of the old AFL and NFL. The AFL had the trigger men and the NFL the more traditional balanced attack and defenses.

I think the most tired players at the end of games are going to be the AFC secondaries, they've got several that can out it 70 yards down the field. And Adams and Wilson shifted to the AFCW and Wilson has a very good WR corps.

Sydla

Reaction score
Steele replaces Collins, that has been pretty even trade off the past 2 years, given Collins lack of availability.
Smith replaces Williams, that can't be any worse.
Williams, Fowler, Armstrong easily replace Gregory, and can get the same production if not better.

So the only question is, does Lamb step up in the #1 WR role, and what impact does Gallup have by missing, how ever many games he misses. So does Tolbert and Washington and Brown step up as well to fill the void of losing Cooper and Wilson. It won't be any worse, or that much of a difference, given how little Cooper was effective last year.

I am not saying the gap did not shrink, I said, their roster is not better than ours. We did fine in FA by keeping our own on defense, and not over paying. Just becasue Eagles signed bigger names does not mean the are better than us. They do this every year, sign big names, and fans on here freak out.
Agree, a lot depends on Hurts development. His 2nd full year as a starter. They could take a big leap this year, but as we all say here all the time....show me on the field....it should apply to them as well.

LOL.

So basically everyone we added fills in as well or better than the guy he replaced?

The Eagles made massive additions in the offseason to fix spots. We did not. They needed pass rush help and added a legitimate edge rusher, one of the best in FA. They needed a WR opposite Smith and added arguably a Top 10 WR in a trade.

The gap has closed. The only people that can't see that are the homers. Jerry and his son continue to ignore FA and it costs them. It may cost them in 2022.

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe the Wentz of 5 year ago, not today's version. Two teams already of given up on him and both were more talented then Washington.

Yeah Wentz was pretty blah in Indy. Until he shows he's better than that, I am not sure why people think he's going to elevate the Skins to a whole new level. I am in see it to believe it territory with Wentz.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.

So basically everyone we added fills in as well or better than the guy he replaced?

The Eagles made massive additions in the offseason to fix spots. We did not. They needed pass rush help and added a legitimate edge rusher, one of the best in FA. They needed a WR opposite Smith and added arguably a Top 10 WR in a trade.

The gap has closed. The only people that can't see that are the homers. Jerry and his son continue to ignore FA and it costs them. It may cost them in 2022.
Not in $ and that's what matters the most to them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.

Wrong...the only people that think like you do are the haters. Love everything every other team does, but hate everything Dallas Cowboys.

Adreme

Reaction score
Throw out the rookies.

The gap may have shrunk but the gap is still sizable and who cares how easy the first 6-8 games are in a 17 game season? Plenty of teams start off 6-2 5-3 off an easy schedule and then finish .500 when they have to play the real teams. The Eagles got better so maybe they will not be 0-7 against playoff teams, but they most likely did not get better enough to eliminate the gap because the gap was very sizable.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Wentz was pretty blah in Indy. Until he shows he's better than that, I am not sure why people think he's going to elevate the Skins to a whole new level. I am in see it to believe it territory with Wentz.

I don't think he will elevate them to a high level. But he is better than what they trotted out there the past 5 years or so. That is why I think they improved though slightly. I also think their defense was over rated.