East-West Shrine Day 3 practice notes

glassjaw

Reaction score
East QBs
Paul Smith, Tulsa – not physically imposing, made some bad decisions, seemed very average.
Bernard Morris, Marshall – sometimes throws very well with good zip, but way too erratic. Maybe athletic enough to stick at another position.
Anthony Morelli, Penn State – Size, arm is there, inconsistency will make him a project. Best deep ball of the three.
East RBs
BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Mississippi – terrific low center of gravity, very tough to knock off balance, gets to the corner smoothly.
Thomas Brown, Georgia – shifty and explosive. Can run between tackles and get small to get through holes despite being smallish for an NFL back.
Cory Boyd, South Carolina – lined up at FB, made one of the catches of the week – leaping one handed downfield catch – looked WR like on the catch.
East WRs
Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State – had a rough day, lots of drops. Speed and return ability will get his foot in the door, but needs work as a WR – seems to be thinking too much out there.
Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina – huge hands and good body control – projects as possession WR. Very crisp on hook routes. Improved as the week went on.
Samuel Giguere, Sherbrooke – CUT, maybe the most muscular skill position player at the game.
Paul Hubbard, Wisconsin – effortless separation on deep routes. Great body control. Seems to have legit WR instincts, just needs polish. Still had pretty crisp breaks for a more raw WR.
Justin Harper, Virginia Tech – great hands and frame – bread and butter skills are there, but like Simpson projects as possession WR at best.
East OL/TE

Drew Atchison, TE, William & Mary – long frame and good agility going up for the ball. Reminds us of Michael Allan last year Gary Barnidge, TE, Louisville – beat some LBs in the middle of the field – seems to have good receiving instincts.
John Greco, OT, Toledo – excellent footwork while pass blocking. Looks to be great shape, dropped 20+ pounds from estimated weight.
Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech – former TE has retained athleticism, looks like a legit NFL LT.
Drew Miller, G/C, Florida – destroys LBs and secondary targets.
East Defense
Jolonn Dunbar, LB, Boston College – making nice plays in coverage and covering a lot of ground.
Jamie Silva, S, Boston College – really stepped up when intensity increased. Made one nice INT and seemed to really come on today.
Jonathan Goff, LB, Vandy – great ball skills on overhead INT dropping back into coverage.
Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton – seemed out of position at 4-3 end. Did not have same burst as speed rushers, but still very athletic for his size.
Jonathan Wilhite, CB, Auburn – outstanding week, consistently breaking up passes. Greatly improved his draft stock from UDFA to mid round, could go higher with good combine. Very aggressive and instinctive.
West QB
Kevin O’Connell, QB, SDSU – hooked up with Todd Blythe on longest pass play of the day. Still very inconsistent, but flashes are there – worth a practice squad spot.
Josh Johnson, QB, SD – “it” factor still apparent. Went through three (!) reads on a bootleg. Running ability still seems to be on a different level. A bit too casual with the ball outside of the pocket. Needs to generate more power from his hips and upper body (not just arm) when he throws from the pocket. Throws the skinny post very well. Great footwork, consistently holds ball high and tight in the pocket. Teammates seem to love him.
Sam Keller, QB, Nebraska – still checking down more than he goes downfield. Also inconsistent on 15 yard outs.
West RB
Anthony Alridge, RB, Houston – Small area quicks are tops on either squad, played through pain (had noticeable limp after practice). Looks like he could carry 10-15 more pounds on his wiry frame and not lose any quickness or burst.
Marcus Thomas, RB, UTEP – continues to make great moves for such a big upright back. Definitely reminds us of Chris Brown, which may be a bad thing if he continues to hesitate before making first move.
Allen Patrick, RB, Oklahoma – disappointing week, seemed to be worried about fumbling again.
West WR
William Franklin, WR, Missouri – replaced by UNM WR Travis Brown.
Kevin Robinson, WR, Utah State – only possibility at next level is slot receiver.
Todd Blythe, WR, Iowa State – continues to impress with athleticism, hands and toughness. Stock should rise.
Jason Rivers, WR, Hawaii – continued to have most crisp breaks in routes of any WR here and great YAC moves, but also didn’t trust hands too often.
Marcus Henry, WR, Kansas – Still using huge frame to block out and long arms to make great hands catches. Could be great 3rd down WR at the next level – looks like Colston with less burst after the catch.
West TE/OL
Craig Stevens, TE, California – very hardnosed player, fights for everything. Made some nice adjustments to errant throws. Should be a nice two way TE. Looks better than Brent Celek from this game last year (who may start in Philly next year).
Joe Jon Finley, TE, Oklahoma - ideal frame from possession receiver TE in NFL and good athleticism.
Geoff Schwartz, OT, Oregon – MASSIVE, great athleticism for a man mountain.
West Defense
Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State – continued to look like shutdown corner, barely thrown at at all. Terrific transition out of his backpedal. Better ball skills than some of the WRs.
Frank Okam, DT, Texas – shades of 06 dominance.
Athyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State – very solid build for such a massive kid, great penetration and blows up plays.
Chase Ortiz, DE, TCU – looks like 3-4 OLB – light for a DE. Great anticipation of passes and gets up to disrupt passing lanes.
Drew Fowler, LB, Air Force – had a couple of big plays and improved his draft stock.
Justin Tryon, CB, Arizona St – like Wilhite, greatly improved his draft stock with aggressive play and lots of pass break ups. Had a few near INTs and did a terrific job anticipating the WRs route. Really trusts what he sees.
Zachary Bowman, CB, Nebraska – got hurt early on and missed most of the practice.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Thanks, again. Are these your notes? And do you have Day 2?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I love Thomas Brown

Josh Johnson, QB, SD, sounds intriguing

forgot about Dwight Lowery, could be a nice 3rd/4th round pick

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1914212 said:
I love Thomas Brown

forgot about Dwight Lowery, could be a nice 3rd/4th round pick

Brown would definitely be a nice late round pickup....i forgot all about him, mainly cause of moreno

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
HOUSTON – A handshake with Coastal Carolina wide receiver Jerome Simpson is more like a hand and wrist shake.

The man has huge mitts.

His hands are among the largest at the East-West Shrine Game, with each measuring nearly 11 inches from pinky to thumb. He has the arm length to match, at more than 35 inches.

Jerome Simpson has impressed the defensive players on the East team.
"It really helps as a receiver having long arms and big hands," Simpson said.

No kidding.

Simpson's physical attributes make him one of the most intriguing Division I-AA prospects in the draft. He wasted no time making a name for himself this week at Shrine practices. He has shown he can compete with Division I-A athletes despite coming from a program that just finished up its fifth season of football.

"I think he could compete in the SEC or Division I," said Tennessee safety Jonathan Hefney, who faced Simpson all week in practice. "Sometimes people just overlook you."

Simpson is trying not to be overlooked again. His hard work is paying off: He has been projected to go as high as the third round in the draft.

He has NFL size at 6 feet 2 and 185 pounds, and the athleticism to win the Big South Conference title in the long jump. In football, he's the league's career leader with 2,720 receiving yards.

The coming weeks will be important as he attempts to continue to prove his production wasn't just a product of playing in Division I-AA.

Boston College safety Jamie Silva, whose hair is so long that it partially covers his jersey number, is as impressed with Simpson's playing ability as he is with Simpson's flat-top haircut. "He's like early '90s. I'm more like early '80s," Silva said.

Like Silva, many evaluators are getting their first look at Simpson.

East Carolina got one of the first looks at Simpson, offering him a scholarship out of Reidsville (N.C.) High after the 2003 season. But Simpson said the Pirates wanted him to commit during his recruiting visit, something he wasn't ready to do.

He said he also wanted a program with a more stable coaching situation. East Carolina coach John Thompson, who offered the scholarship to Simpson, was fired the following season.

Simpson instead signed with Coastal Carolina, a school that started football one season before he arrived. The Chanticleers made fast progress, winning at least a share of the Big South title in three of Simpson's four seasons. His senior season was the first losing year (5-6) for the fledgling program.

Two of his former teammates are in the NFL - Washington Commanders quarterback Tyler Thigpen and Carolina Panthers safety Quinton Teal. Thigpen was taken in the seventh round of last year's draft.

Simpson could join his former quarterback as Coastal Carolina's second draftee if he continues to impress before April. He'll have another chance at February's NFL Combine.

"I didn't know what to expect. I hadn't heard of him," Silva said. "He's a quick guy; he's quick on the breaks. He'll do well in this game if he gets some passes thrown to him."

Hefney was plenty familiar with Simpson, who led Reidsville to state football and basketball titles while also winning a state sprint-relay track title. Hefney attended Rock Hill (S.C.) High, which is about two-and-a-half hours from Reidsville, and had heard of Simpson's exploits. In addition, some of Hefney's high school teammates went to Coastal Carolina and kept him up to date on Simpson's career, which included a 1,077-yard, 16-touchdown season in 2006.

Hefney finally met Simpson during draft preparations when he, Auburn cornerback Jonathan Wilhite and Simpson trained together. He said Simpson lived up to the hype.

"He's got the biggest stride," Hefney said. "I saw him catch a 70-yarder when we were working out. He took maybe 10 or 12 steps."

Perhaps that feat is a little far-fetched, but you have to hand it to Simpson: It has taken only a week for the receiver from a 5-year-old program to build a reputation.

glassjaw

Reaction score
Yea, I like the sound of Lowery. If we could pick him up in the 3rd it would be sweet.

I like Jason Rivers from Hawaii too. Don't like the comment on his hands, but scouts liked him at the Hula Bowl as well and I saw a couple Hawaii games and he plays with a Marion Barber type attitude at WR.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
glassjaw;1914441 said:
Yea, I like the sound of Lowery. If we could pick him up in the 3rd it would be sweet.

I like Jason Rivers from Hawaii too. Don't like the comment on his hands, but scouts liked him at the Hula Bowl as well and I saw a couple Hawaii games and he plays with a Marion Barber type attitude at WR.

What did the Scouts think of Ricky Santos, QB from New Hampshire in Hawaii? He lit it up in the game but few practice notes.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;1914239 said:
Brown would definitely be a nice late round pickup....i forgot all about him, mainly cause of moreno

I love Brown, but am infatuated w/ Moreno, that dude is illmatic

glassjaw

Reaction score
Here are the Hula Bowl game notes. Ricky Santos note at the bottom.

Notes

CB Haruki Nakamura (Cincinnati) grabbed an interception off of a tipped pass but his coverage throughout the game was mediocre. His is fast but undersized.

RB Andre Callendar (Boston College) isn't very flashy but he does run between the tackles. I see him as an overachiever with the upside of a poor man's Kevin Faulk. He can catch the ball very well though.

DB Jacob Patek (Hawaii) was solid throughout the all-star game in coverage. He did well in isolation to my surprise.

WR Marcus Fitzgerald (Marshall) is the brother of Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald. After dropping one pass early, he redeemed himself by showing that he can run a good route from the slot and making a tough, physical catch.

QB Kevin O'Connell (San Diego State) is very mobile for being 6'6". He appeared to like running the bootleg and showed to be a solid passer. At times he didn't set his feet and on those passes his throws were flat. I am sure he will get a hard look on the next level due to his size, mobility, and arm strength but fine-tuning some mechanics may take some time.

WR Jason Rivers (Hawaii) showed why he is a great yards after the catch-kind of guy. I question his field vision though.

QB Paul Smith (Tulsa) showed that he can manage a game well. He is really small though but mobile. It was kind of scary when he would take a hit as he didn't get down to slide. He has good arm strength and rushed for 2 scores in the Hula Bowl.

RB Marcus Thomas (UTEP) wasn't very good. He is an upright runner that doesn't protect the ball. He fumbled on his first carry of the game.

RB Kalvin McRae (Ohio) showed how reliable he could be in the passing game but looked like he had very little strength when trying to run through the seams.

LB Jordan Dizon (Colorado) showed to have good closing speed and was a hard hitter. He was one of the guys that seemed to be around the ball on every turnover.

DE Angelo Craig (Cincinnati) was really my defensive MVP of the game. He is a powerful hitter. He forced a fumble, tallied 2 sacks, and looked incredible from the edge. He is set to be a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. He helped himself with his Hula Bowl performance. Remember this name.

WR Jabari Arthur (Akron) was my choice for offensive MVP of the game. He really helped his stock out with this one. He is big and physical, played well from the slot, showed that he had great hands, solid rapport with the QB despite a lack of playing time together. Arthur is also intriguing because he is Canadien.

RB Keon Lattimore (Maryland) was very disappointing. I expected to see more from Ray Lewis' brother. Lattimore didn't appear to have good field vision or hands plus he danced around when he would get the handoff. Very undecisive.

WR Robert Jordan (California) didn't run very good routes but caught a touchdown pass. He looks like he is an arrest waiting to happen though.

DE Anthony Hoke (Cincinnati) seemed to always be around the ball. He was outshined by teammate DE Craig though.

WR Bruce Hocker (Duquesne) didn't run good routes but he did score a touchdown, just like Robert Jordan from Cal.

QB T.C. Ostrander (Stanford) really isn't a prospect for the next level. He is said to be epileptic. Ostrander struggled to control the ball when he fumbled twice, once for a turnover. He had no arm strength whatsoever.

DE Rob Jackson (Kansas State) recovered 2 fumbles but missed a few tackles.

DT J.T. Mapu (Tennessee) forced 2 fumbles himself. He is an intriguing prospect as he used to start for the Volunteers in 2003 but went on a mission. He came back to school but was a backup. Could be an undrafted free agent that team's will take a flier on.

DB Gerard Lawson (Oregon State) put on a show with his returnman abilities. I fully expect to see him get drafted and be a good special teams player as he made a good tackle on the other side as well. He was my special teams MVP of the Hula Bowl.

OG Donald Thomas (UConn) injured his right knee. It was said not to be a MCL/ACL. He is scheduled to play in next week's East-West Shrine Game.

OL Hercules Satele (Hawaii) was terrible, following up on his dismal performance against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

CB Kenard Cox (Pittsburgh) may be a first day prospect. He would fit in well with a cover 2 defense as he plays well at the line of scrimmage.

WR Ernie Wheelwright (Minnesota) didn't do well in blocking and had mediocre hands.

QB Bernard Morris (Marshall) is a likely draft pick. He may hold on to the ball but he does have a quick release. He is a bit indecisive. He has a strong arm, solid mechanics, is mobile, and buys time. Morris also scored a touchdown in the game.

WR Josh Morgan (Virginia Tech) muffed a punt, dropped two passes but did make two big plays, one off of a tipped pass.

RB Reggie Campbell (Navy) as a WR for the Midshipmen but he was utilized as a RB in the Hula Bowl. He scored a goal line touchdown. He is very small though and will go undrafted. He does have speed but no size or bulk to him.

RB Jalen Parmele (Toledo) was quick to the egde on a 26 yard run. Looks to have good vision.

WR Maurice Purify (Nebraska) didn't run good routes and dropped a pass when it looked like he heard footsteps.

TE Darrell Strong (Pittsburgh) dropped a touchdown pass.

QB Alex Brink (Washington State) has a lot to offer on the next level and will likely get drafted. He didn't set his feet at times and has questionable arm strength. He did throw an interception though.

K Art Carmody (Louisville) missed a 32 yard field goal with no pressure.

OC Matt Spanos (USC) recovered his team's fumble. He looks to have good awareness.

WR Paul Raymond (Brown) is a physical WR that will likely be a big play guy if gets a chance on the next level.

DT Martail Bennett (Utah) seemed to be around the ball a lot. He was able to nab a sack as well.

RB Yvenson Bernard (Oregon State) didn't play much but when he did, he showed good burst. His height (5'9") will be a negative factor but one thing he does well is catch the ball out of the backfield. He has the upside of a poor man's Leon Washington.

WR C.J. Hawthorne (Hawaii) had good hands but scouts were allegedly not sold on his route running.

WR Evan Moore (Stanford) dropped a sure pass. He looks to be rather slow as well.

RB Amir Pinnix (Minnesota) was in on plenty of downs but looked unimpressive. He really didn't do much despite all of the snaps he seen.

DT Jason Shirley (Fresno State) was quick off of the snap. He made some plays during the game and should be a late second day pick with high upside.

LB/DE Marcus Howard (Georgia) is coming off of a great Sugar Bowl performance and helped himself out with a sack. I think he is very underrated and his stock should continue to rise through the NFL Combine and Pro Day workouts.

QB Ricky Santos (New Hampshire) doesn't have much arm strength. He fumbled on a handoff where he failed to step into it and deliver the pigskin into the RBs chest. He also threw an interception before redeeming himself somewhat in the fourth quarter.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1914212 said:
I love Thomas Brown

That's the quarterback I find most intriguing in the later rounds of the draft... though he played at a relatively low level of competition, he was tutored by Jim Harbaugh, who ought to know a little something about what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback...

Johnson needs to get bigger, but he reportedly has a pro arm... for some reasons, the scouting reports I read about this kid set me in mind of Neil Lomax when he came out of Portland State...

Which shows just how OLD a football fan I am, LOL...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors;1914444 said:
What did the Scouts think of Ricky Santos, QB from New Hampshire in Hawaii? He lit it up in the game but few practice notes.

LOL... the scouting report provided said he had a weak arm, noted that he had a fumble and an int, but you claim he "lit it up"??

Typical Nors propagandizing... players he dislikes get trashed for the most comical reasons (McFadden's "character problems"), while players he likes get touted beyond all rationality...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I didn't see the game and saw the 10-16 170 not shabby.

All the yokels here in 2003 were saying Romo had a noodle arm yet loved the Henson, Chad cannon's. Santos arm strength is more than adequate, he just gets the ball to the open receiver a lot and can run like Romo to generate passing plays.

I'll hold off on judgement on the fumble. He did say he lit it up in the 4th.

He's carrying around a 5th to 7th round grade for a patient team. Small school could drop him to UDFA like Romo.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
lmao...

"he lit it up" = "before redeeming himself somewhat"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1914509 said:
That's the quarterback I find most intriguing in the later rounds of the draft... though he played at a relatively low level of competition, he was tutored by Jim Harbaugh, who ought to know a little something about what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback...

Johnson needs to get bigger, but he reportedly has a pro arm... for some reasons, the scouting reports I read about this kid set me in mind of Neil Lomax when he came out of Portland State...

Which shows just how OLD a football fan I am, LOL...

sounds like Johnson has the Romo imitation down pat, teammates love him, is good throwing on the run, hell, he even tends to throw a flutterball lol

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1915267 said:
sounds like Johnson has the Romo imitation down pat, teammates love him, is good throwing on the run, hell, he even tends to throw a flutterball lol

if Johnson is there in the 5th, we better take him.......replace one Johnson with another.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;1915274 said:
if Johnson is there in the 5th, we better take him.......replace one Johnson with another.

I'd be down if we could used a 6th round pick on him

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1915314 said:
I'd be down if we could used a 6th round pick on him

Why not a 5th......I mean if there is a guarantee that he is there when we pick in the 6th cool....but if he is the best player on the board in the 5th, we should take him.