Ed King, Former Lynyrd Skynyrd Guitarist Dead at 68

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...-dead-former-lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-dies-68

Ed King, a former member of Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, has died at age 68. His family confirmed the guitarist's passing on Thursday (Aug. 23), writing in a Facebook post, "It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of Ed King who died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee on August 22nd, 2018. We thank his many friend and fans for their love and support of Ed during his life and career." The cause of King's death was not announced at press time.

RIP.

If you do get a chance to see the just released documentary on Lynyrd Skynyrd "If I leave here tomorrow" please do, its very good even if you weren't a huge fan of the band.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...-dead-former-lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-dies-68

Ed King, a former member of Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, has died at age 68. His family confirmed the guitarist's passing on Thursday (Aug. 23), writing in a Facebook post, "It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of Ed King who died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee on August 22nd, 2018. We thank his many friend and fans for their love and support of Ed during his life and career." The cause of King's death was not announced at press time.

RIP.

If you do get a chance to see the just released documentary on Lynyrd Skynyrd "If I leave here tomorrow" please do, its very good even if you weren't a huge fan of the band.
That was excellent and he was the one that left the band because of Van Zandt's personality change when drinking. Gary Rossington is a riot and living proof of what them drugs and poison whiskey can do to you. He's lived one hell of a life, what a ride.

They were one of my favorites and the debate of which band was the best Southern Rock band, them or Allman Brothers, never made sense to me, different sounds and approach to the music. That's like picking between Stevie Ray and ZZ Top for Texas music. ABB was much more on the blues side and LS leaned to the rock and really broke the mold with the female backup singers. LS also lived that tear it up lifestyle that some bands were famous for because they were road crazy.

"Free Bird" will always live in my heart as I closed out my wife's service with that because she loved that song and it represented her free spirit. Pretty much knocked the stockings off my Mom and two Aunts in their 90's, they'd never heard it before and probably not since. I have also never listened to it again. Some things go with the people that leave us.

Shame Southern Rock flamed out and you would have thought that young bands would have followed in the footsteps of ABB, LS, Marshall Tucker, Wet Willie, Blackfoot and Elvin Bishop. That was our party music in the 70's.