Eddie George May Retire

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sunday, 07/10/05

Retirement looking like best option for George

Commentary by DAVID CLIMER
Senior Writer

As you're reading this, I bet Eddie George … is working out, is getting ready to work out, or has just finished working out.

The man is driven, committed, relentless. If running, lifting, stretching or a combination of all three can help him gain one more yard in the NFL, he'll do it.

But with less than a month before training camps open around the NFL, we must wonder how often George is answering his phone. He's rested. He's ready. He's available. He might as well be wearing a sign that says Will Carry The Ball 300 Times For Food.

But is the phone ringing?

These are the times that try veteran running backs' souls. After nine seasons — eight as chief freight-carrier for the Oilers/Titans, one as a bit player for the Cowboys — George is running on borrowed time. He doesn't want to retire. He has said he believes he has another couple of years in him.

Any takers?

A couple of months back, Jeff Fisher floated a trial balloon about the possibility of George being reunited with the Titans as a backup to Chris Brown. It did not get the ringing endorsement Fisher had hoped. Others in the organization deferred and Titans owner Bud Adams went so far as to say he would prefer to acquire Travis Henry from the Bills.

Problem is, the Bills want at least a third-round pick for Henry, who has fallen out of favor in Buffalo with the development of Willis McGahee. Too, AFC South rival Jacksonville also is in the market for a running back because of Fred Taylor's knee trouble.

Both the Titans and the Jags are in a bind. Although he is unquestionably talented and has fresh legs, Brown has been unable to stay healthy over the long haul of an NFL season. There's no other proven back on the Titans' roster.

Meanwhile, Jacksonville's backups — LaBrandon Toefield, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala and Greg Jones — don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing defensive coordinators.

Clearly, somebody is going to have to pony up for Henry. Who's going to blink first?

But where does this leave Eddie George? Despite an ESPN report that Jacksonville might be interested, nothing has materialized. And, really, the thought of George in a Jaguars uniform is unsettling. Putting on Cowboys blue is one thing; wearing Jags teal is hard to stomach.

This is the sad side of sports. Over and over, we see players desperately trying to hang on to past glory, unwilling or unable to accept that their skills have deteriorated to the point that they can no longer play at the required level.

They stick around too long, sometimes tarnishing their legacy. The warrior who once plowed through linebackers is instead remembered for stumbling as he takes the handoff.

Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown, who was in town last week for a fundraiser, is the rare example of an athlete who walked away while he was at the top of his game. He left at the age of 29, head held high, with no regrets.

"If you've been a great player, your competitive side tells you, 'I can still do it,' " Brown said. "You convince yourself that if you work a little bit harder, you can stay at the same level.

"You have to make yourself come to grips with reality."

And that reality check may be in the mail to Eddie George.

parchy

Reaction score
He didn't look very good last year... if a team picks him up, I hope they know what they're getting

gbrittain

Reaction score
parchy said:
He didn't look very good last year... if a team picks him up, I hope they know what they're getting

I would prefer any rookie RB drafted in the last draft over Eddie George.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Eddie needs to give it up, he cnat tarnish a good career to not prove people wrong.He doenst need to imatate Jerry

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
A few years late.

He looked awful last year.

But that said, those battles he had with Ray Lewis were of epic proportions.

So, with this retirement ( if it happens) our entire starting backfield from last year is now in retirement...Richie Anderson...Eddie George....Vinny Testaverde.

Geez, I hate the job Parcells did last year...and I didn't even mention Marcellus Wiley and Dedric Ward yet. :eek:
:)

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I am grateful for us picking up Eddie George last year. I don't think we can put a price on what he provided last year. The way he carried himself last year really shows the kind of character and class guy he is. He could have really stunted Julius's growth as a back, but instead worked with him and that, my friends, is priceless.

I wish EG the best. If he really wants to play I hope he catches on with another team.

Reaction score
I agree and he didn't start quoting a bunch of stuff through the media and cause a rift with the team. He gets mad props for that!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Eddie should have retired when the Titans released him last year.

BTW, his carrer was NOT HoF worthy but he will probably be elected anyway since it is of course the Hall of FAME and not the Hall of Greatness.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stick a fork in him, he is done.

I doubt he makes the HOF. After all, he was a Cowboy for a year. AKA kiss of death.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
he is definitely over, but i agree that he was a total class act last year.

he could have been a me me me guy, but took it like a man.

well done.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
I wish him the best. he gave his all but it just wasnt enough at his age...

calico

Reaction score
Good luck to him. I was saddened by his fall last year. He had a few good runs and the TX stadium crowd chanting him on a few times was excellent, but he is done. I also agree that he did a great job with the Julius Jones situation. He didn't even suit up several times and took it like a man.

·[A]koN·

Reaction score
All we kan do is thank him for what he ''brought'' to our team. wish him well too...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parchy said:

He hasn't looked good in SEVERAL years. He is COMPLETELY spent. He should have gotten out a few years back, but so be it.

Wish him well.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
with the way he ran last year I thought he had already retired

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
I am grateful for us picking up Eddie George last year. I don't think we can put a price on what he provided last year. The way he carried himself last year really shows the kind of character and class guy he is. He could have really stunted Julius's growth as a back, but instead worked with him and that, my friends, is priceless.

I wish EG the best. If he really wants to play I hope he catches on with another team.

Geoirge was brought here to be JJ's backup. I have to believe Eddie's work ethic and experience were of great benefit to JJ.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I will say this in defense of EG. It was just a couple of weeks ago that someone here posted a recap of an interview with someone (can't remember who now) who talked about JuJo. He specifically said that JuJo had been nearly broken by Parcells, but that he worked with EG during his recuperation & returned a completely different person. If EG did nothing else, if he's even partly responsible for helping mold a rookie who appears to be a star-in-the-making, then he made a big contribution to the team.

FWIW, Eddie will be on NFL Total Access sometime this week in a DJ battle with someone. I'm guessing they'll probably also interview him at least briefly.

Tobal

Reaction score
I have all the respect in the world for him, but his body quit years ago. He needs to retire.