Edwards on the block?

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
I didn't see this posted anywhere so i thought i'd mention it... from Len P's Tip Sheet...

One of the few teams that can match Atlanta's linebacker depth is San Diego and that might explain, in part, why the Chargers are dangling starter Donnie Edwards in the pre-draft trade market. A 10-year veteran, Edwards had his usual standout season in 2005, starting all 16 games and leading the Chargers in tackles, with 154 stops. He also had three sacks, two interceptions, 11 passes defensed and two forced fumbles. There's been no discernable dropoff in the play of Edwards, who has lined up at every linebacker spot in both the 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. But he is 33 years old now, and has a contract that pays a base salary of $3.55 million in 2006, and might be replaceable. In addition to fellow starters Shawne Merriman (the league's 2005 defensive rookie of the year), Randall Godfrey and Steve Foley, the Chargers have some impressive young players in the wings. Backups such as Shaun Phillips, Matt Wilhelm and Stephen Cooper all have starting-caliber ability and aren't going to be satisfied forever maintaining their current roles.

If the price was right, i'd be all over this. He can play inside or out. has a ton of experience in the 3-4 and at 3.5 mill for another season or 2 he's a bargain. Wouldn't give up too much due to his age, but i can't help but think he'd be FANTASTIC as a short term solution while we develop from the draft and address other concerns in round 1.

TheHustler

Reaction score
I'd be okay with cutting Singleton and signing Edwards. No reason to have both of them and 3 of the other starting 4 LB positions are locked up. Singleton can be kept for depth if he reduces his contract.

Then again, what do the Chargers want for him? No way we give up a first day pick, and we don't have a 4th......

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I'd be okay with cutting Singleton and signing Edwards. No reason to have both of them and 3 of the other starting 4 LB positions are locked up. Singleton can be kept for depth if he reduces his contract.

Then again, what do the Chargers want for him? No way we give up a first day pick, and we don't have a 4th......

well... i can't imagine it'd be TOO much. The way the NFL seems these days you just don't get anything when trading players over 30. Even when their play hasn't starting slipping yet, they know it's not too far off and at 3.5 mill per year, you certainly won't be getting anthing more than a 3, and probably less than that even.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we will not pay Donnie 3.5 per year, I dont' see this one happening, BIll likes his veterans cheap

Q_the_man

Reaction score
LongSnapper said:
Are you kidding? OK right lets see 33yr old 6'2" 227 hmmm 3.5 mil:laugh1:
Don't forget the 154 tackles, 3 sacks, 12 PD, 2 picks

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
you have to ask yourself...if he is so awesome and a 3-4 guy, why is San Diego shopping him? they dont need the cap room and they really dont have anyone to take his place either

David

TheHustler

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
you have to ask yourself...if he is so awesome and a 3-4 guy, why is San Diego shopping him? they dont need the cap room and they really dont have anyone to take his place either

David

They have a couple young LBs they are high on.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
He may have just gone off the market after Shaun Phillips arrest. It'll probably take awhile to see how much legal jeopardy Phillips is in.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Lawson might be a great one, but probably not this year. SOLB is tough in the 3-4, and a veteran guy like Edwards might be just what the doctor ordered. If money became an issue, it would seem Edwards presence would make Singleton expendible.