Ellis is taking time from the rookies

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
I don't mind the coaches trying to teach Ellis the outside linebacker position but I hate that it is taking time away from Carpenter learning the position. They have had him working on the inside while Ellis works with the first team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bungarian said:
I don't mind the coaches trying to teach Ellis the outside linebacker position but I hate that it is taking time away from Carpenter learning the position. They have had him working on the inside while Ellis works with the first team.

I don't think it is taking away from anything, all of these guys are getting a lot of work in 2 a days.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Bungarian said:

It's not Ellis fought, it's just a position that Bill Parcells is trying to teach Ellis how to play, and Parcells already knows Bobby Carpenter, and Bobby Carpenter got this position down pack, we'll see this year who's the better linebacker between Bobby Carpenter and A.J. Hawk.

wileedog

Reaction score
Bungarian said:

Because Carpenter doesn't need to learn the position, Ellis does. Meanwhile Carp gets good experience inside in case he's needed there.

Lots of camp left.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
TO is taking time away from Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd while he learns the non- WCO.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I think it is re-*******-diculous that Parcells is trying to teach an 8 year vet a new position. Ellis has got to have some value, swap him for some offensive line help to a team that will actually utilize him. Ellis has said the right things, but privately I think he has to be very pissed off at his situation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
I think it is re-*******-diculous that Parcells is trying to teach an 8 year vet a new position. Ellis has got to have some value, swap him for some offensive line help to a team that will actually utilize him. Ellis has said the right things, but privately I think he has to be very pissed off at his situation.

IF BP did not think Ellis could handle it or was not important for this defense they would have traded him.

wileedog

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:

Yeah, because no veteran DE has EVER made the switch 3-4 OLB! *cough*McGinnest*cough*

His value is the 2nd best pass rusher on the team. We won't get that value in return for him.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Yeah, because no veteran DE has EVER made the switch 3-4 OLB! *cough*McGinnest*cough*

His value is the 2nd best pass rusher on the team. We won't get that value in return for him.

Right, so because one person has done it, that means the example applies to every defensive end in the game?

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
I see everyones point but Carp still needs practice on the outside. He is not the starter so he needs a chance to show the coaches what he can do. I guess he may get the chance in the preseason games.

wileedog

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
Right, so because one person has done it, that means the example applies to every defensive end in the game?

One person?

The entire LBer core of the Pats during their SB runs were converted DEs. Granted most of them were switched out of college like Ware, but if anything it should be easier for an 8 year vet to switch than a rookie still getting used to the NFL.

This is done all the time all over the league. Most guys just don't whine as much about it is all.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As a LB, Ellis is going to have a lot of pass rush opportunities matched up against TEs and RBs. That is what its all about. Ellis can handle basic zone pass coverages. Before the draft I wondered if Carpenter was a good fit at SOLB, I thought he was a better fit at ILB. I wonder if the coaching staff realized this too, since BP has a history of not wanting to move rookies around because he doesn't want to confuse them.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog said:
One person?

The entire LBer core of the Pats during their SB runs were converted DEs. Granted most of them were switched out of college like Ware, but if anything it should be easier for an 8 year vet to switch than a rookie still getting used to the NFL.

This is done all the time all over the league. Most guys just don't whine as much about it is all.

There is a big difference switching a guys position when he is about a week from 31 compared to when he is 23 or 24. Ellis knows what he is good at, and has to be comfortable being a DE and then they throw a huge curveball at him. If anything, it has to be harder to switch positions when you are older because your prime years of playing football are going by quickly and you have less time to improve your game, as well as having to break habits that have been established for the past 8 years of your career. When was McGinest made into an OLB?

wileedog

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
There is a big difference switching a guys position when he is about a week from 31 compared to when he is 23 or 24. Ellis knows what he is good at, and has to be comfortable being a DE and then they throw a huge curveball at him.

If anything it was probably harder for him to switch to a 3-4 DE then it should be for him to switch to a 3-4 LBer.

This lets Ellis line back up outside the shoulder of the OT instead of square up where he wasn't as effective.

Its exactly what he would be doing as a 4-3 DE accept maybe once or twice a game they will drop him into zone coverage to keep offenses honest. And so far the coaches seem okay with his progress there.

Honestly, I really do expect Ellis to be better this year, because every single year of his career he has faded in the 2nd half. This will keep him much fresher. If occasionally having to cover a RB in the flat is the price for that, so be it.

Hoov

Reaction score
Yeah, i hate it when players do exactly what the coaches ask them. And i hate it more when coaches try to change things up to find which players work best in different situations.

why cant they just do the exact same thing they did last year and no one needs to learn anything new, that would be easier i think.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Its exactly what he would be doing as a 4-3 DE accept maybe once or twice a game they will drop him into zone coverage to keep offenses honest. And so far the coaches seem okay with his progress there.

This is very unrealistic. If he can only be trusted in coverage once or twice per game offenses will not have to be very honest.

wileedog

Reaction score
Smashmouth24 said:
This is very unrealistic. If he can only be trusted in coverage once or twice per game offenses will not have to be very honest.

He's not going to be the everydown SOLB. He will only be in for passing situations.

The only reason we are not trading him is his pass rush ability. That's kind of useless if we're going to have him chasing around TEs multiple times per game.

I'll be surprised if we do it more than twice a game, tops. But if you time them right it can still be effective.