Elvis Dumervil

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This kid is on pace to break Suggs NCAA single season sack record (rather easily). He's already racked up 15 sacks and 7 forced fumbles in 5 games. Like Suggs he's probably going to have to play in the 3-4 due to size problems.

Dumervil is 'The King' in house of Cardinals

college football

IT'S SOMETHING they don't want to hear at Louisville ... that Elvis has left the building.

Unfortunately for the Cardinals football team, defensive end Elvis Dumervil is playing his final season of college football, and it won't be long before some NFL team pays him millions of dollars to chase around quarterbacks.

Until then, Dumervil will continue to be "The King" of college football, an unbelievable force who has accounted for 15 sacks and seven forced fumbles in just five games for Louisville (4-1).

In comparison, former Syracuse star Dwight Freeney, who at 6-foot-1, 268 pounds is almost the same size of Dumervil, had 171/2 sacks his senior season before being made the No. 11 overall pick of the 2002 draft by Indianapolis.

It was Freeney, now in his fourth season with the Indianapolis Colts, who helped convince Dumervil (6-0, 260) that he could play defensive end at just a bit over 6-foot tall.

"I'm glad Dwight Freeney knew what he was doing," said Dumervil, who grew up in Miami. "I thought maybe I needed to move to linebacker. Then I saw Freeney making some noise, and it gave me confidence. He showed me that if I just did my thing, I had a shot."

He took his shot at Louisville after Florida's major programs bungled their recruiting efforts. Florida took a run at signing him, but then-coach Steve Spurrier went to the Washington Commanders and Dumervil decided to go elsewhere. Miami told him that he would have to sit out as a freshman, and he wanted to play right away. Florida State didn't bother to recruit him at all.

He ended deciding between Syracuse and Louisville, and he was promised a shot at playing immediately with the Cardinals.

Dumervil became a force last season with 10 sacks and now has developed into perhaps the nation's top defensive player. In a 69-14 win over North Carolina on Saturday, Dumervil had three sacks, two forced fumbles and his first career interception. On the season he has 35 tackles, including 161/2 for a loss.

Every time he makes a big play at Cardinal Stadium, Elvis Presley's "All Shook Up" is played.

"People come to the game dressed up like Elvis," Dumervil said. "I hear people say that 'The King is in town.' That's great as long as people are having fun with it. I guess it's a marketing catch."

Dumervil was asked how his parents settled on the name Elvis.

"I don't know," he said. "I've never been asked that question before. I assume that my mom loved it."

Opposing teams are getting tired of being all shook up, so they are sending waves of blockers at him.

"Yeah, I get the running back chip blocks and tight end chips," Dumervil said. "Then the guard will help, or slide protection or a sprint out. I see all kinds of schemes. Fortunately, I am surrounded by great players and that leaves other guys open."

With that kind of attention, Dumervil isn't sure how many sacks he can accumulate, but he keeps raising his goals.

"At the beginning of the year, my goal was 15-plus sacks," he said. "I had to raise the bar. It was funny, by the second or third game, if I had one sack the local media would ask if I had a bad game. Last year, I was feeling good about getting one sack.

"I just need to continue to challenge myself. Even though I am short, my arm span is about 6-foot-7. I have the leverage to make tackles, and I have the speed. I thank God because I have been blessed. I am going to continue to play hard and show people that I am for real."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/12880698.htm

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should get a good look at the guy this weekend as they play WVU.

I have heard many people say he is the real deal.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Another article about his game against UNC this weekend.

Elvis Dumervil rocks and rolls
Defensive end tallies three sacks

By A.J. CARR, Staff Writer

LOUISVILLE, KY. -- Elvis Dumervil was doing some shakin' Saturday evening at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

And the 251-pound senior defensive end was one of many Cardinals who had North Carolina's Tar Heels all shook up in Louisville's 69-14 rout.

"He may have set a world record in tackles, tackles for loss, fumbles and interceptions," said stunned UNC coach John Bunting after watching the Cardinal wreak havoc.

Dumervil, named for legendary music star Elvis Presley by his mother, was a demon on defense, as usual.

He recorded three more sacks, giving him 15 in five games, and had four tackles for losses.

He also set up two touchdowns with his first career interception and his seventh forced fumble, one shy of the NCAA record.

After Dumervil jarred the ball loose from UNC quarterback Matt Baker in the second half, teammate Earl Heyman scooped it up and ran 30 yards for a TD.

"He's quick," Baker said of Dumervil. "When you look at him on the field, he's short [6 feet 1], but he's so strong. He looks like Dwight Freeney of the Indianapolis Colts."

To Louisville coach Bobby Petrino, Dumervil simply looks "amazing" coming off the snap and making clever moves: ones Carolina simply couldn't match.

"They've got some pretty good athletes, [but] on the D-line you are taught to come off the ball, key the ball, get to the quarterback and bring him down," Dumervil said, explaining his craft simply. He said the Heels tried a variety of ways to keep him out of its backfield and off their backs, but to little avail.

"They double-teamed me occasionally, tried to cut block, gave me all types of different looks," said Dumervil, who charged with a sack 'em mentality.

"That [sacking] is a great feeling. I'm hungry and I'm gonna stay hungry," he added, noting that desire and technique have led to his stunning season total.

As for the high number of forced fumbles, he attributes that to coaching and ball-stripping drills.

While knocking the swagger out of opposing backs is his passion, his biggest thrill Saturday came when he stepped in front of Barrington Edwards and picked off an errant Baker throw near the line of scrimmage and ran a few yards to the UNC 8-yard line.

Dumervil gets a lot of attention about his first name as well as his game, of course. He doesn't do Elvis impersonations, or sing "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog ..." He simply hounds the daylights out of Louisville's opponents.

Just ask the Tar Heels.

Staff writer A.J. Carr can be reached at 829-89

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before this guy starts seeing triple-teams. He's a one-man wrecking crew!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I should get a good look at the guy this weekend as they play WVU.

I have heard many people say he is the real deal.

I've heard the same about him.....I hope I get a chance to see him

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Anybody watch him last night? He got his 20th sack of the season, and needs 4 more to reach Suggs' record with 3 more games to play. He's already broken Dwight Freeney's record of most forced fumbles in a season.