emmitt amazed me

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i cant believe he was a clydesdale in HS....then a clydesdale in college....and then a clydesdale in the NFL for all those years........all those carries....all that pounding.....and he only had a few minor injuries.

I am in complete awe. He definitely had favor with the Football Gods.

silverblue

Reaction score
he has said many times that he learned andpracticed how to take the hit and how to fall every time to prevent injuries. In fact he recently gave that advice to Adrian Peterson. Something high school coaches should definitely be teaching.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverblue;1754922 said:
he has said many times that he learned andpracticed how to take the hit and how to fall every time to prevent injuries. In fact he recently gave that advice to Adrian Peterson. Something high school coaches should definitely be teaching.

yep.....i remember Emmitt bailing on many a run and simply going out of bounds. Why fight for 2 extra yds, once you already have the first down, and risk an injury or fumble. just go out of bounds and bring it on the next play. Emmitt made it fab to run out of bound, hehehe.

Honestly, i think RBs should run out of bounds early in games.....and then later on in the games, when the D seems to slow down and thinks u are gonna run out, cut it back in bounds and burn them for some nice yardage (kinda change it up on em). But there would be a lot less fumbles if players wouldnt fight so hard for those meaningless 2-3 extra yds. It is one thing to fight for a 1st down or TD....its another to fight for 2 yds on a 3yd 1st down run....

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
I liked Emmitt but I hated when he would run out of bounds... For some reason that just ticks me off. I know it mightve saved him injuries and helped him get the record but none the less I hate it... I love MB3 and how he fights for every yard and that attitude is very contagious.

silverblue

Reaction score
dillinger319;1754959 said:
I liked Emmitt but I hated when he would run out of bounds... For some reason that just ticks me off. I know it mightve saved him injuries and helped him get the record but none the less I hate it... I love MB3 and how he fights for every yard and that attitude is very contagious.

How much better would emmit have been if he had never run out of bounds?

A whole lot better for about 2 or 3 years, after that he would've been done. There is a lot to be said for Emmit's greatness and a big part of that was his very rare longevity in that position

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;1754954 said:
yep.....i remember Emmitt bailing on many a run and simply going out of bounds. Why fight for 2 extra yds, once you already have the first down, and risk an injury or fumble. just go out of bounds and bring it on the next play. Emmitt made it fab to run out of bound, hehehe.

Honestly, i think RBs should run out of bounds early in games.....and then later on in the games, when the D seems to slow down and thinks u are gonna run out, cut it back in bounds and burn them for some nice yardage (kinda change it up on em). But there would be a lot less fumbles if players wouldnt fight so hard for those meaningless 2-3 extra yds. It is one thing to fight for a 1st down or TD....its another to fight for 2 yds on a 3yd 1st down run....

Tell that to Marion Barber...............

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dillinger319;1754959 said:

You sure you watched a lot of Emmitt's games? He fought for yards when they mattered, the point is to not take an unnecessary hit. It's like like he's sliding down like a QB when he sees a guy coming.

The fact that he has the rushing record but doesn't require two hours, heated blankets, pain killers and a hot shower to get going every day like Bettis can only be a good thing.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
It was just something that got to me and i know why he did it... I think more of goes back to when he held out and then came back with the new contract and on one play he ran out of bounds like 2 yards before the 1st down marker and it kinda stuck with me... Im proud that he was a Cowboy and the records he has and he wouldnt have had the chance at those if he had MB3's running style... I just hate it when someone goes out of bounds...lol... whether its good or bad...lol

lockster

Reaction score
I could have used about 3 years less of Emmit's longevity. That's about how long, he stayed too long!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
dillinger319;1755086 said:
It was just something that got to me and i know why he did it... I think more of goes back to when he held out and then came back with the new contract and on one play he ran out of bounds like 2 yards before the 1st down marker and it kinda stuck with me... Im proud that he was a Cowboy and the records he has and he wouldnt have had the chance at those if he had MB3's running style... I just hate it when someone goes out of bounds...lol... whether its good or bad...lol

Nobody's perfect. I'm sure over the length of Emmitts career he made quite a few judgement errors.
What you need to understand is that its critical to pick your spots and I dont think anyone can question Emmitts heart.

From 1991 to 1996 when we were a legitimate SB contender, Emmitt carried a huge load. Probably our MVP for that stretch. Had he sustained a season ender in 92,93 or 95 we dont take home the hardware that year.

Hell his lingering hamstring injury in 94 had more to do with us not winning the SB that year than SF.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
lockster;1755311 said:
I could have used about 3 years less of Emmit's longevity. That's about how long, he stayed too long!

Wow that's funny. As I was wrighting my last post, I had the same thought.
I'd go four years to long. 1998 probably his last special year. Last year you could argue he was a legit PBowler.

1999-2002 he was just a guy. Nothing special. And each year he seemed a little slower a little weaker and a lot less effective.

RB's just arent supposed to play in this league 8,9,10 plus years.
If we never have another Smith, that would be fine by me.
As much as I love stars, I'd have to say I've been converted to the platoon system. I want a stable of RB's on my team.
When you have multiple RB's getting at most 15 carriers they can go all out on each and every one and punish the D. Hmmm think I'm on to something.:rolleyes:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Emmitt almost had a 1000 yds his final season and had like 9 TDs......

Those are some pretty good stats for a guy who was getting limited touches, had tons of wear on the tires, and was stuck behind that Cardinals OL

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Biggems;1755335 said:

Those are some pretty good stats for a guy who was getting limited touches, had tons of wear on the tires, and was stuck behind that Cardinals OL

A "Diamond Amoung Trash".... but it was Dallas Cowboy trash!

Superbowls, baby...he did his part, that is for sure...

:starspin

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Biggems;1755335 said:

:hammer:

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I honestly think his diamond among trash comment was meant for Troy Hambrick and Bill Parcells........not for the rest of the team.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Biggems;1755346 said:
I honestly think his diamond among trash comment was meant for Troy Hambrick and Bill Parcells........not for the rest of the team.

Who freaking knows what #22 was saying? :laugh2:

ESPN is where he is making some money now...go listen to him!!

:eek::

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Biggems;1755346 said:

Ummm... Emmitt has never played for Bill Parcells.

When he made that comment it was something along the lines of "last year I felt like I was a diamond surrounded by trash" so he most certainly wasn't referring to Parcells.

Unless Parcells was chillin' at Emmitt's house every day.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rack;1755352 said:
Ummm... Emmitt has never played for Bill Parcells.

When he made that comment it was something along the lines of "last year I felt like I was a diamond surrounded by trash" so he most certainly wasn't referring to Parcells.

Unless Parcells was chillin' at Emmitt's house every day.

:lmao2: :laugh2: :lmao2: :laugh1: :laugh2:

If you don't keep and eye on him, he will hurt you everytime!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
5Stars;1755357 said:
:lmao2: :laugh2: :lmao2: :laugh1: :laugh2:

If you don't keep and eye on him, he will hurt you everytime!

I'm on 'em!