emmitt amazed me

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rack;1755352 said:
Ummm... Emmitt has never played for Bill Parcells.

When he made that comment it was something along the lines of "last year I felt like I was a diamond surrounded by trash" so he most certainly wasn't referring to Parcells.

Unless Parcells was chillin' at Emmitt's house every day.

Emmitt never played for Parcells, but Emmitt was still a Cowboy when Parcells was hired. Parcells decided Hambrick was a better fit in his first year than Emmitt......

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
what's amazing is that Emmitt is the NFL's career, rushing TD record-holder, and rushed for 25 TDs in a single season

yet his highest rushing TD total in a single season at Florida was "only" 15, Tebow just passed him tonight, and added another 2 to his now Gator record

idk, that struck me as being odd

heavyg

Reaction score
I am sure you all remember the game againts the Bears where he took a fake hand off and dove over the line into the endzone. He landed on his head and was carted off. IMO he was never the same RB.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1755423 said:
what's amazing is that Emmitt is the NFL's career, rushing TD record-holder, and rushed for 25 TDs in a single season

yet his highest rushing TD total in a single season at Florida was "only" 15, Tebow just passed him tonight, and added another 2 to his now Gator record

Those Florida teams weren't any good in those days. They were totally average at best until Spurrier got there.

But Emmitt's longevity was amazing. But if you saw him in person, he was a lot bigger than you think. Yeah, he was short, but he had really wide shoulders and, even among pro football players, he had total boulders for thighs. It's kind of hard to explain, but his legs just stood out when I saw him at camp. Looked like a car could run into them and not hurt them.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

I'm going to go ahead and assume Tebow won't be holding any "all time" records in the NFL, so I don't think Emmit is crying too much.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Biggems;1755407 said:
Emmitt never played for Parcells, but Emmitt was still a Cowboy when Parcells was hired. Parcells decided Hambrick was a better fit in his first year than Emmitt......

1. He still wasn't referring to Parcells cuz when Emmitt made that statement he said "last season, I felt like I was a diamond surrounded by trash". Parcells wasn't there the season before.

2. Cutting Emmitt and keeping Hambrick had nothing to do with being a better fit. It was all about establishing his authority. If he keeps Emmitt, and Parcells does something that Emmitt doesn't like and openly questions it, the players will also question it. He wouldn't be able to change the atmosphere with veteran players with cred openly criticizing him (whether the vet intended to do it or not). He kept Woody cuz he knew Woody just wanted to win and would of supported him no matter what.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
arkansas.jpg

Emmitt was a great one, for sure.

It's about time we replace him with another HOF back. :)

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Biggems;1755335 said:
Emmitt almost had a 1000 yds his final season and had like 9 TDs......

Those are some pretty good stats for a guy who was getting limited touches, had tons of wear on the tires, and was stuck behind that Cardinals OL

Emmitt very easily could have been a 1300 yard back or more behind even a halfway decent line even at the end of his career. The guy was a beast. Had he lost a step? Sure, but it was never his speed that made him as good as he was. He still had great vision and even with very little tread on the tires, that right there would put him in the top 10 backs in the league even at the end.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score

Read Emmitt's book he goes over his Florida career. His Freshmen year the coach who recruited him got caught by the NCAA for recruiting violations and the team lost scholarships and was placed on probation, including no TV games for three years.

The replacement headcoach they hired came up with the brilliant idea to use Emmitt as a decoy and actually used that strategy for about half the year, obviously a losing year and strategy. The coach was fired after one year.

The third coach was strapped with almost no linemen as a result of the lost scholarships, so the team struggled although Emmitt was moderately successful mostly on his own.

So Emmitt's college career was hindered mostly by circumstances beyond his control, but the good side was his lack of TV coverage and talented teammates was what caused many teams to pass over him in the draft. Which allowed the Cowboys to get one of the greatest players ever at the 17th spot of the draft.

Smith22

Reaction score
Anyone who questions Emmitt and his toughness, go back to the Giants game where he carried us to victory with a bum shoulder. That game gave me chills. The man was a machine.:starspin

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
one game that sticks out in my mind was a game against minnesota. we were killing them at the half, Emmitt owned them in the first half......then he got hurt on that TD run just prior to the half. He didn't return and Minnesota came back to win.

However, Emmitt was on pace for possibly a 300 yd day. He might have scored 5 or 6 TDs also. He was in the zone and the Vikings had no answer.

another game that sticks out to me was the Philly game where he ran for like 237. Man that was an ugly game with ugly weather conditions.....but watching Emmitt run, was like watching little kids play ball innocently in the inner city, surrounded by utter chaos and violence......it was a thing of pure beauty.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Biggems;1755664 said:
one game that sticks out in my mind was a game against minnesota. we were killing them at the half, Emmitt owned them in the first half......then he got hurt on that TD run just prior to the half. He didn't return and Minnesota came back to win.

Actually Emmitt scored a TD (where he broke his hand), then we got the ball right back due to a turnover, and he scored again - with a broken hand.

If not for that broken hand, AP wouldn't be the record holder for most yards in a game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Rack;1755484 said:
1. He still wasn't referring to Parcells cuz when Emmitt made that statement he said "last season, I felt like I was a diamond surrounded by trash". Parcells wasn't there the season before.

2. Cutting Emmitt and keeping Hambrick had nothing to do with being a better fit. It was all about establishing his authority. If he keeps Emmitt, and Parcells does something that Emmitt doesn't like and openly questions it, the players will also question it. He wouldn't be able to change the atmosphere with veteran players with cred openly criticizing him (whether the vet intended to do it or not). He kept Woody cuz he knew Woody just wanted to win and would of supported him no matter what.

And don't forget about the money. Emmitt still wanted a big contract. It made little sense to give someone with that much wear and tear the kind of money he wanted. He would have been better than Hambrick, but not that much better. Maybe 200 more yards at best, which was not worth the salary he wanted.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Rack;1755774 said:
Actually Emmitt scored a TD (where he broke his hand), then we got the ball right back due to a turnover, and he scored again - with a broken hand.

If not for that broken hand, AP wouldn't be the record holder for most yards in a game.

I think it was a Monday night game in Minny, he had at least 150 in the first half - he was going to gash that defense all game long. We ended up losing Troy and Emmitt that game, Moss made us pay as usual, and that was pretty much the beginning of the end for the 99 season.

Tobal

Reaction score
Emmitt started running out of bounds later in his career, even with the 1st down marker right there. That was hard on me, the team wasn't as good and we really needed those first downs, at the same time than man had taken so many hits for my Cowboys I couldn't be upset at him.....

Same with Troy when he'd get the happy feet towards the end of his career, he took so many hard shot's I'd have been crying like a baby back there if I'd been hit as many times as him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nothing was worse than Tory Holt and Isacc Bruce just falling down though.

silverblue

Reaction score
silverblue;1754922 said:
he has said many times that he learned andpracticed how to take the hit and how to fall every time to prevent injuries. In fact he recently gave that advice to Adrian Peterson. Something high school coaches should definitely be teaching.

I guess Adrian Peterson didn't listen. Hopefully he is OK or so long we hardly knew ye

lockster

Reaction score
Here's the deal. At one time, Emmitt was great, without doubt. But the last 3 to 4 years, he sucked. Say what you want about arizona's line, his yards per carry sucked the last few years behind arizona's line, and our line. He lost just enough speed so that he couldn't no longer escape the first person to get to him. He had way too much pride for our team and became a hinderance to us and a salary sucker. A 1000 yds. a season is nothing for a good back to get with 16 games. A good year is like 1200-1600 now. I will never say he wasn't tough. But it takes more than toughness to be great sometimes. I was happy as could be when he left. Good riddance bad rubbish. Football is about what can u do for me this season, not like 3 to 4 years ago. Play long enough and all the records will be yours. :) I will always love what he did for us earlier though. Those years were great. But when the game has passed you by, get out of the way, your holding up the parade.