Emmitt Smith named Florida's prep player of the century

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith named Florida's prep player of the century

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article.../APS/712150704

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith, who also set records in his high school days while leading Pensacola Escambia to a pair of state championships, has been named Florida's prep Player of the Century.

The Florida High School Athletic Association named Smith to that honor on Friday and Lakeland High School head coach Bill Castle as Coach of the Century.

The awards were presented to commemorate 100 years of Florida high school football at a halftime ceremony during the 5-A state championship game.

Smith, 38, was unable to attend because of commitments to his present job as an NFL analyst for ESPN, but he addressed fans through a recorded video message.

"When you look at all the players, the great players, who have come from the state of Florida, and to be named, to be mentioned with all those guys, is truly a great honor," Smith said.

A panel of high school experts chose Smith from a 33-player All-Century team announced earlier in the week.

Escambia's team won state titles in 1984 and 1985 with Smith running the ball. His 8,804 career rushing yards is a record that still stands. He also set a record with 45 100-yard games, which ranks second nationally.

A the University of Florida, Smith set several still-standing school records including rushing touchdowns (37), rushing yards per game (126.7) and 100-yard rushing games (23).

In the NFL, he played 13 years with the Dallas Cowboys and two with the Arizona Cardinals. He broke Walter Payton's career rushing record and retired with 18,355 yards. Along the way he helped Dallas win three Super Bowl titles, led the NFL in rushing four times and made eight Pro Bowl appearances. He also won a league MVP and a Super Bowl MPV award.

Castle has a 308-74 record at Lakeland and six state championships. He plans to return for a 33rd season next year.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Back when I still watched ESPN, they had a show named Scholastic Sports America. I think Chris Fowler hosted it.
I remember Emmitt being on there, lauded as the best high-school RB in the nation.
Since I was tuned out of college football at that time, when Dallas drafted Emmitt I first thought of his rep as a high-school player.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I know that USA Today named Emmitt the best high school football player of the last 25 years a couple years ago.. and I read a high school football magazine a few years back that named him the greatest high school football player of the century too.. he broke just about every career rushing record in high school and the NFL.. and he was dominate at the college level too.. one of only a handful of freshman to ever finish in the top 10 of Heisman voting.. if you added up his high school, college, NFL and playoff yards, and compared it to other football players, it wouldn't even be close at all.. way to go Emmitt..
:starspin

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
2much2soon;1834091 said:
Since I was tuned out of college football at that time, when Dallas drafted Emmitt I first thought of his rep as a high-school player.

There were other factors during his college career as well. Florida was placed on NCAA probation during his Soph. and Junior seasons, which included loss of scholarships, no televised games and no bowl games. I'm sure Emmitt didn't like it but it was perhaps the main reason he fell to us at the 17th pick in 1990.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
being named the best of the century for a state, any state is an amazing honor......but being florida makes it that much more impressive to me.