Empty Backfield!!!

Murph80

Reaction score
Can the Boys afford to go with a empty backfield look possibly with no huddle offense? Think about an empty backfield with Owens Williams Crayton and both TE's Witten and Bennett on the field. Can you really afford to blitz? Just a thought with Barber being out.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Murph80;2463828 said:
Can the Boys afford to go with a empty backfield look possibly with no huddle offense? Think about an empty backfield with Owens Williams Crayton and both TE's Witten and Bennett on the field. Can you really afford to blitz? Just a thought with Barber being out.

1. Is Marion Barber officially out?

2. We can afford to do it, in a 2 minute situation. Not as a regular every-down formation. The blitz would still cause a rushed pass without enough time to let routes develop.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
What if it is really windy? Would you rely on the passing game?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Tashard Choice is going to put in some work and he will prove to everyone that he is more than just a worthy fill in.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
that weather and Gurode snapping shotgun.....can you say instant HORROR

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggems;2463842 said:
that weather and Gurode snapping shotgun.....can you say instant HORROR
Don't remind us. So far it hasn't killed us so...

scottsp

Reaction score
If Marion is out, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the contribution of Tashard Choice. Running the ball will be tough sledding no matter who we put out there. Not saying I would abandon the ground game, but it won't be a day at the office vs. Green Bay either.

Should Choice be the number one come Sunday, my primary concern would be pass protection and blitz pickup. Barber is excellent in this area. That is not to say the kid would be totally incapable, but some breakdowns would be expected. It happens, he's a rookie with limited snaps under his belt.

Also, while I believe spreading the Steeler defense would be the way to go in certain situations, 50 offensive snaps out of the gun, in five-wide would be really bad for us. It would be bad in ideal playing conditions, forget frigid temperatures and poor surface conditions.

According to the forecast, the win should not exceed 20 mph, so that's a plus.

Point being, I would not ever give an elite-level pass rush the opportunity to pin its ears back with deep drops all day. I want Tony Romo to be around the rest of December, and God willing, January.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I really dislike the empty backfield for two reasons:

1. No threat of a running game let's the defense sell out for the pass.

2. It limits your options in pass protection.

3. You can always just release your RB at the snap from the backfield if you want him to run a pattern.

I think if you want to catch a defense off-guard the odd-time and motion your RB out of the backfield, then that is okay for a change of pace. I'd be wary of doing that with the athleticism of the Pitt LBs.

juck

Reaction score
Brady whips the Steelers with this every time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the only way empty backfield and no-huddle offense is going to work against Pitt and in this weather, is if Garrett scales back the pass-routes and runs alot of short ones

hey, it worked for New England back in the early decade

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
scottsp;2464037 said:
If Marion is out, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the contribution of Tashard Choice. Running the ball will be tough sledding no matter who we put out there. Not saying I would abandon the ground game, but it won't be a day at the office vs. Green Bay either.

Should Choice be the number one come Sunday, my primary concern would be pass protection and blitz pickup. Barber is excellent in this area. That is not to say the kid would be totally incapable, but some breakdowns would be expected. It happens, he's a rookie with limited snaps under his belt.

Also, while I believe spreading the Steeler defense would be the way to go in certain situations, 50 offensive snaps out of the gun, in five-wide would be really bad for us. It would be bad in ideal playing conditions, forget frigid temperatures and poor surface conditions.

Point being, I would not ever give an elite-level pass rush the opportunity to pin its ears back with deep drops all day. I want Tony Romo to be around the rest of December, and God willing, January.

Barber has missed blocks too, it happens to every back

kramskoi

Reaction score
scottsp;2464037 said:

interesting observation...there "may" come a point in this game, god forbid, that Dallas may have to weigh what can be gained in a loss versus what could be loss in a vain attempt to win...albeit a worse-case scenario, Pittsburgh is a game they have every excuse to lose, and maybe that's why they'll win, but without the threat of the run it becomes a HEAVY task on a sloppy field in the forecast game conditions...i'm not so much concerned about Choice, though Barber provides more of threat in receiving and blitz pickup. No, the onus is on guys like Adams, Holland, Gurode, Davis and Columbo...these guys better be ready to punch the clock and play lights out til the end. If there is to be a "best" performance this year then i hope it comes tomorrow. Good luck and godspeed to them...they are in for quite a fight.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2463835 said:
Tashard Choice is going to put in some work and he will prove to everyone that he is more than just a worthy fill in.

Does anyone remember that Choice was a possible late 1st or 2nd round pick before he hurt his knee.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dozin@theknick;2464241 said:
Does anyone remember that Choice was a possible late 1st or 2nd round pick before he hurt his knee.

I do. I was pretty upset when we took Felix over Choice... silly me :D

We got both!! :starspin

Mansta54

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2464252 said:
I do. I was pretty upset when we took Felix over Choice... silly me :D

We got both!! :starspin

Anyone thinking we're in trouble cause TC is starting, couldn't have seen him play before. The kid has game and more speed then MB3. He also makes hard cuts and is always leaning forward... Dude will shine tomorrow!!!!