Encouraging developments during Eagles-Browns game.

Reaction score
For those of you who didn't get the chance to watch the Browns-Eagles game, there were encouraging plays for Cowboys fans. On several occasions, the Eagles' OL, especially the OTs, were beaten handily by the Browns' young converted OLBs. First, OLB David McMillan, a converted DE drafted out of Kansas last year by the Browns, came around Tra Thomas so fast during a pass play that Thomas was forced to hold him. No problem, McMillan got the sack anyway. Later, McMillan goes over to the LOLB spot & runs right around Jon Runyan for a clear path to Jeff Garcia for his second sack. Two plays later, McMillan slips a Runyan block for a tackle on a two yard run.

As far as the other young converting OLB, Kamerion Wimbley, this kid is practically a clone of our own DeMarcus Ware. A DE drafted at the #12 spot out of FSU in April, Wimbley seems to really be taking well to the position change. He made it a long night for one Tra Thomas. While Wimbley didn't have any sacks, he showed so much quickness & speed off the line, that Thomas' first move seemed to always be backwards. Even on running plays, Wimbley easily circled around the mammoth, but feet in cement slow Thomas. I counted three running aplays up the middle where Wimbley was the first player to make contact with the RB, & he was trailing the play! Now that's fast! He went around Thomas, diagnosed the play, put on the brakes, & turned all the way back around to quickly catch up to the RB before he could get through the hole.

The Cowboys should be licking there chops after watching tape of those & some other plays. I know it's the first preseason game, and the offense is always behind the defense, but you're talking about two seasoned OTs going against two young DEs converting to OLB. Unless Thomas purchases some Michael Vick speed shoes, or loses 25lbs. in the next couple of months, Ware & Co. should have a field day against the Iggles. I am SO sick of hearing about how many players they had on the DL last year. Anyone count the bodies in Dallas?

The only reason the Iggles QBs had such high ratings was that they didn't have to throw that often. The Browns' defense is getting better, but they are probably a couple of years from where the 'Boys are now. The Cowboys should get 7-8 sacks this year just from playing Philly. I can't wait!

keds

Reaction score
I'm worried Hotel, Fabini, Colobo and Pettitti won't be much better against speed rushers...

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Only one problem. As bad as you might feel they are, our O Line is 10 times worse.