Endgame Defense

Jake0

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly, did Pittsburgh go to a soft zone at the end of the game for those 2 final drives where the game was tied 13-13 then 20-13? I'm pretty sure they didn't. If what you were doing was working before, why change it? Pittsburgh wasn't moving the ball worth a damn at all with the defenses we were using earlier in the game, we go to the soft zone and start giving up chunks because the defensive style flat out sucks and we're bad at it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Jake0;2475545 said:
I don't remember exactly, did Pittsburgh go to a soft zone at the end of the game for those 2 final drives where the game was tied 13-13 then 20-13? I'm pretty sure they didn't. If what you were doing was working before, why change it? Pittsburgh wasn't moving the ball worth a damn at all with the defenses we were using earlier in the game, we go to the soft zone and start giving up chunks because the defensive style flat out sucks and we're bad at it.

FYI-Brad Sham said it had nothing to do with Wade calling a prevent. He said that there was alot of miscommunication among the defensive players in coverage.

This is really becoming a problem with this team-lack of communication and details, especially when the game is on the line!:mad:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well when your starting CB is playing safety, your new starting CB is just getting off probation, and the general problem of not having any continuity all year long with the DBs then you're going get an occasional problem.

However, anyone who thinks the defense lost that game doesn't know squat about football and is an internet (fill in the blank).

We've given up four TDs in four games.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;2475703 said:
Well when your starting CB is playing safety, your new starting CB is just getting off probation, and the general problem of not having any continuity all year long with the DBs then you're going get an occasional problem.

However, anyone who thinks the defense lost that game doesn't know squat about football and is an internet (fill in the blank).

We've given up four TDs in four games.

Yep...and even with the Giants game if you go back 6 games we've given up 9 in those 6 games, because we gave up none to Tampa.

Yesterdays defense for 55 minutes was the best we've played since the the 92 season. That was domination. The defense deserved a win, but a minus 3 turnover ratio on the road vs a good team is almost always a loss. Without the 5 turnovers, we probably win going away.

Jake0

Reaction score
I'm not blaming the defense, I'm saying why did we switch up from our play style to a conservative style that never works? We always give up huge chunks of yards in our soft zones when we have a lead, just dumb.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Jake0;2475969 said:
I'm not blaming the defense, I'm saying why did we switch up from our play style to a conservative style that never works? We always give up huge chunks of yards in our soft zones when we have a lead, just dumb.

I posted something above on what Brad Sham said about this-he said Wade DIDN'T call a prevent, or even a soft zone.

Jake0

Reaction score
newman playing 15 yards back middle of the field wide open.. looked like a damn soft zone to me. Not just on one play either.. I guess I'd have to look more closely, just a little agitated I suppose.